School students cannot tell time nor easily use pens, pencils

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In another sign of 'changing times,' schools have been replacing analog clocks with digital clocks, because students cannot tell the time.

It gets worse: they complain they cannot effectively use a pen or pencil because they cannot hold it properly.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/educati..._source=LI&li_medium=li-recommendation-widget

That’s pretty pathetic. What a bunch of sorry excuses. The sad part is, there’s people encouraging this type of stupidity and behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On this subject, watch the movie "Idiocracy", starring Luke Wilson and Maya Rudolph.

It came out a few years ago, and is a PERFECT prediction of what we're turning into.

Elimax

It was hard to notice these educational shortfalls around the constant roar of teachers complaining about not making enough money.

I suppose if we cant get them to hold writing utensils, or tell time then teaching financial literacy and other useful life skills is out of the question? Perhaps it's time to get back to basics equip each student with a fountain pen and an abacus, and take away the electronics on school grounds. I wonder if when CA was trying to give each student an iPad (at taxpayers expense, or course, its CA) if they could foresee anything like this.

Look on the bright side, eventually they won't know how to reproduce :clapping::rofl_200:

It's a sign of the times.. I went into a store yesterday and the register totaled $11.07. I gave the cashier $20.07. A $20 bill, a nickle and 2 pennies. That little act of giving him the change, threw him off so bad, that he was stumbling and handed me a $5, and $5 ones.. AND,, the register itself, read the change to be $9.00..

Sad state of affairs..

It's a sign of the times.. I went into a store yesterday and the register totaled $11.07. I gave the cashier $20.07. A $20 bill, a nickle and 2 pennies. That little act of giving him the change, threw him off so bad, that he was stumbling and handed me a $5, and $5 ones.. AND,, the register itself, read the change to be $9.00..

Sad state of affairs..

Been there a few times. Dunking donuts is the best place for that. You’ll get a free drink every time you go n do that there lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There used to a be a time when we actually used phone books and rolodex's too. Technology changes the way we do things. More people type these days than write. The only time I really I use a pen on paper these days is for a signature.

I remember over 20 years ago buying a meal and the cashier saying that will be "Eleven dollars and whatever that says." And my reply was "That says 68 cents." That was in 1989. Ever since I had cash to buy things I've had cashiers not know how to manage it. Bad cashiers have been around since the cash register was invented.

It's just as much of a parents fault that their kid can't read a clock than a schools IMO.

Every generation has their examples of Darwin Award winners. We had them when we were kids. Hell I was one of them. Some of my nastiest injuries as a kid were several seconds after me saying "Hey watch this!" Despite my stupidity, I raised two kids in this day and age that graduated with 4.0 GPAs. One is serving in the Air Force and the other is in med school. Neither ate tide pods, they can read a clock, know how to hold a pencil and write. To borrow a quote from Mark Twain "The death of the younger generation was an exaggeration."

All of us old farts are continuing the age old tradition of shaking our canes at the younger generations and telling them that's not real music! :rofl_200:

My first job was a a Sohio station in southern Ohio. The owner was a WWII fighter pilot and had zero tolerance for stupidity. He taught me how to correctly count change back, if you did it wrong then he would introduce you to the toe of his boot. A point to remember.
I try to teach cashiers this way to count change when I see them stumbling but usually just get a "whatever" look back from them.

Last edited:
This is in the UK, not the US.

I've been in a number of local schools with my kids for different events. I can't say that I've ever seen a digital clock on the wall.

I can say with certainty that my children can hold a pencil and write with it. I'd go as far as to say that they are capable of writing in cursive. It was a skill they learned early in life, in school.

South Florida public schools no-longer instruct students in cursive skills.

This is in the UK, not the US.

I've been in a number of local schools with my kids for different events. I can't say that I've ever seen a digital clock on the wall.

I can say with certainty that my children can hold a pencil and write with it. I'd go as far as to say that they are capable of writing in cursive. It was a skill they learned early in life, in school.

South Florida public schools no-longer instruct students in cursive skills.

That's the same here north of the border in Ontario. I taught my kids cursive so they could actually sign their names! I also only put up analogue clocks so they learned to tell the time.

I guess it's just that we have to get used to the change in basic learning these days.
When I was learning to tell time (forgot at what age, that was), it was strange yet interesting.

I mean, let's be totally honest with ourselves.. If you had to navigate from NY to LA, would you be unfolding a map now days, or would you simply follow the GPS on your phone or GPS unit?

If you had to captain a ship from NJ to the the Bahamas, would you know how to read a sexton, or use the Navi computer?

I guess what it boils down too is, we humans, tend to learn what's popular at that time.
That's just until we get a certain age,, then no matter how many times it's explained, some just don't get it..

I remember explaining how to set a VCR to my mom, over the phone.. LOL!!
A lot of burned up hours with that thing..lol!!

But then again, I'd gladly take the time to explain it again, if she was still here.. :eek:)

I used to sail to the Bahamas every Easter with a friend from Ft. Lauderdale on a 30 ft. Morgan sloop. He had written his own computer program where we took 10 sextant sightings, entered them into the program, and we would have one point where we had been at a certain time, with a high degree of accuracy. It would take about 5-6 minutes to take the sightings and to record the data and time. Since you're on the open ocean, and there's nothing around within eyesight, it's not as-critical as if you're in-sight of land, but then in those days you would be using landmarks, besides compass headings, when in-sight of land. Now of course, it's GPS co-ordinates.

Yes, things change, but you better have redundancy to help you when that system breaks-down. Being in the No. Atlantic with nothing but water, you have a sense of how-precious life is, and the importance of things like maintenance, knowledge of your vessel, and emergency procedures. No time to whine about how your 'safe space' is being violated when you hit an ocean-borne submerged piece of debris, and water starts rushing-in. No, that never happened to us, but I was always aware that it could happen, and we had contingency plans for abandoning ship, and we carried an EPIRB.

Don't kids use crayons before they ever enter kindergarten? Simple muscle memory there..

I'm 33 and and hate to admit I often forget how to do some capital letters in cursive; G, and Z mostly. Lol. You don't use it you lose it I guess.
But i can do a design build for an MRI room. Go figure.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back