Schwabenmax Fuel Tanks....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard of some issues with their tank for the Gen2 vmax.
I've not heard of anyone trying the Gen1 tank.

You can get your swingarm extended and then get your stock tank expanded to 5+ gallons by Morleys Muscle.

DSC06330.JPG DSC06331.JPG DSC06332.JPG DSC06333.JPG

This one is for the Gen 1. I know nothing about the company therefore the question. The company replies quickly. Its a bit difficult since of the translation. Here is their reply to me with installation links.

Hallo Chris,
der Tank ist passend für die Serienschwinge, Otec Schwinge, und Fischer Schwinge.
Du kannst es auch auf unserer Einbauanleitung sehen, hier der Link:
http://www.schwabenmax.net/Deutsch/Einbauanleitungen/einbautank.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Chris,
the tank is suitable for the serial swingarm, Otec swingarm, and Fischer swingarm.
You can also see it on our installation instructions, here the link:

http://www.schwabenmax.net/English/Einbauanleitungen/einbautank.htm

mit freundlichen Grüssen
Schwabenmax
Andrea Lütkemeier
Eschenbacherstrasse 26
73108 Gammelshausen
TEL: (0049) 07164 9151633
Fax: (0049) 07164 9151646
[email protected]
www.schwabenmax.de
www.kurzhubgasgriff.de
UST-Ident: DE 238593243

No matter your feelings on this, one thing can be said for sure....The company replies in a quick timely manner. So to be crystal clear on the tank....I asked if this would work on the stock swing arm....This was the reply.

Yes, the factory swingarm is the series

mit freundlichen Grüssen
Schwabenmax
Andrea Lütkemeier
Eschenbacherstrasse 26
73108 Gammelshausen
[email protected]
www.schwabenmax.de
www.kurzhubgasgriff.de

From the guys website....

In Stock
:Deliverytime in Workdays , after receive the Payment: DE 2-3 Days, EU 3-4 Days, World 8-10 Days
Price
598,00 EUR($670 USD)

So....For a cheaper alternative for those asking about extended range....Here is it at a slightly less price than extending swingarms.

Now...While I have ridden motorcycles all my life with the 100-110 mile range...The Vmax range does not bother me enough to get this bigger tank. And I live in a state where there are counties bigger than all of New Jersey with only 1 gas station. There is also something else to consider if you are doing this...You may want to ask can you do 2 up riding with this gas tank. Rubbing seems to be a problem and 2 up could exacerbate things.

Some other questions I asked about this fuel tank....

Hallo Chris,

1)If this tank is installed on a stock bike with stock exhaust, shocks and swing arm.....Can you still ride 2 up with the 5 gallon tank installed?

-------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------
Yes, that's all fitting, you just have to pay attention to the installation instructions, because everything is very accurate in word and picture.
-------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------

2) If not, what would it take to get 2 up riding?
-------------------------------------------------- --------------------------
See the installation instructions!
-------------------------------------------------- -------------------------
3)I know you state no burnouts and as a former Volkswagen technician who has seen some older VWs with improper shielding on the fuel filler lines, I know why you state no burnouts. Do you recommend shielding for those wishing to still do burn outs with this tank?
-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------
For burnouts you need a shield, unfortunately we do not have this fitting.
You have to do this on your own responsibility.

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

4) Would this shielding interfere with rear tire clearance?
Yes it is less space

5) Would you still be ready to go up with the shield in place?
Yes, but you will need smaller wheels, 180/55 x 17, or longer struts at the rear.
-------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------
Again, Thank you. Your replies are greatly appreciated.

mit freundlichen Grüssen
Schwabenmax
Andrea Lütkemeier
Eschenbacherstrasse 26
73108 Gammelshausen
[email protected]
www.schwabenmax.de
www.kurzhubgasgriff.de

Any other questions anyone would have, I would be more than happy to ask.

Exactrep has one, you might want to check them out too.

Here is that website for the fuel tank you mention. Appears to be similar to the German tank. About a $20 price difference.

http://exactrep.com/acatalog/---NEW----Extra-20.5-Litre-Fuel-Tank--184_T.html

So does anyone have either of these tanks? I am not looking to install one unless I have a fuel tank failure. The reason these kinda appeal to me is the idea of keeping a stock wheel base and a fairly stock look. Another reason is that the Swingarm with tank conversion is double the cost and from what I read with other people seeking answers was price point. A couple folks seemed to be hanging around a $500 alternative. These are a touch more but within that price point.

I have had the Exactrep tanks in mine for many years now.
It fitted my standard but braced swinging arm with no issues.
It is a tight fit getting it in but not anything that a bit of brute force can't overcome.
I can get 140+ miles before reserve.

I have one for years now. Gen 1 bike. Cost an arm and six legs by the time it made it here to the land down under. It came with spacers to limit the compression of the shocks. And some spacers to pad the side covers out a bit. Had to trim rear mud guard (fender) and remove the inner guard. Also had to trim the filler catch tray thing. I have no problems two up. The shock absorber spacers shit themselves after a while. I had longer rear shocks made by local firm Icon. One of the shocks lost the lugs the preload adjusters rotate on. Hit big bump two up. Rode home on one shock...all good. I was doing a lot of interstate running then...big difference to have plus five litres. I think Exactrep re-sell the same tank asked about by the OP. I have standard swing arm and wheel. The instructions that came with it said stay with standard size tyre...which I have done. Very happy with it.

Latest posts

Back