Scoop & Side cover paint removal.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyjones955

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I saw a wright-up on polishing the faux scoops and side covers but I really cant find it. Not even sure it was here.

I don't want to polish them, not looking for any extra gloss. I'm only interested in removing the OEM paint from these trim pieces that are partially painted. My goal is to have the whole trim piece match the unpainted portions, hoping for that brushed aluminum look over the entire piece.

I suck at paint and body so I'm hoping someone can throw me the link I cant find or let me know what product/procedure will get me where I want to be with these. I'm afraid that whatever chemical I use will eff them up and I see what replacements go for. I have seen some pics of these with the paint removed but unpolished with a simple brushed aluminum look, which is exactly what I'm going for.

Very sorry if this has been hashed out, I tried a search but only found how to polish them to a glossy finish.

Thanks in advance gents.

Thats what I needed to know. I'll go tomorrow and pick up the stuff and get on it. Other than these trim pieces I just cant find fault with it.

Man, what did we do before internet forums?

Thanks!

Finally got around to getting it done. Used the aircraft remover, was quite effective. Since only the scoops had clear coat before, they are all I clear coated after. I touched them up with some 240 grit, washed and clear coated with glossy Dupli-Color acrylic lacquer clear coat. I'm a fan of raw aluminum for vehicles like this.

It didn't take to much time and I'm very pleased with the results, I think it makes the bike look less busy, to me the painting of these pieces looks like an afterthought. Before and aft pics below. Thanks for the guidance on this btw.

Attachments

• sidecoversbefore (1).JPG
    sidecoversbefore (1).JPG
    297.1 KB · Views: 78
  • sidecoversafter.JPG
    sidecoversafter.JPG
    275.3 KB · Views: 86
Kinda like you, I had the two tone scoops. I went to one color as well. I like the bigger in your face look of the scoops like that.

The scoops are the most distinctive feature, even more pronounced in one color. Even after I paint the bike I will leave them raw aluminum but if someone wanted to downplay the scoops I'll bet they look nice painted to match to.

Close-up as promised.

I spent very little time with the 240 cleaning it up, if someone wanted to spend a little more time with them I'm sure the results would show it. I like raw aluminum so it suits me well with minimal prep and some clear coat to protect it and make it look finished. The glossy clear coat really worked just as I had hoped by not adding to much gloss, its just about right.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• DSCN0626.JPG
    DSCN0626.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 51
Thanks gents! I'm happy with how they look. Actually they look cleaner in person, the camera really accentuates all the little impurities. Like wood, it's part of the charm.

Latest posts

Back