scored a new mod for the track bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneksoldier

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just picked this up from a local Tire and lube place for a Benny. He said he bought his Harley from a guy with a prosthetic left leg so he took it off and didn't need it. I don't think he really knew what it was worth. Going to make a nice addition to the Ignitech tci unit. Going to try and figure out how to automate it using the tci software. Really excited about it!

rednek
Im interested on what you find using that shifter. Post your findings on the Ignitech thread please... You have a ignition killing feature on the ignitech for power shifting, that can be triggered by any switch such as clutch switch or a handlebar switch that can trigger the shifter as well, so you can get ignition pause and the physical shifting by the shifter...

rednek
Im interested on what you find using that shifter. Post your findings on the Ignitech thread please... You have a ignition killing feature on the ignitech for power shifting, that can be triggered by any switch such as clutch switch or a handlebar switch that can trigger the shifter as well, so you can get ignition pause and the physical shifting by the shifter...
I have not even read up on the ignitech yet. I guess I need to get the one out Gary sent & do some reading. Maybe I could get rid of kill unit on the air shifter & just use the ignitech to & have a little less wiring than I do now.

Yeah, this unit came with the ignition kill box, but I'm hoping to do away with that and use the shift button to trigger the kill in the Ignitech unit and the physical shifting operation at the same time. This particular shifter kit was made for a different bike, so I will have fab up some brackets to make it fit. My intent is to make it so that I do not even need to press the button. Launch and hold the throttle open and let the Ignitech unit and the shifter handle the rest. Sounds kind of like cheating but I'm really working on this system for my dad. He used to drag race and lost his left leg in a motorcycle crash. While he has had a prosthetic for a long time now and can use a heel shifter adequately, I think that this would really be ideal for him to be able to get back on the track.

Cool I was going to hook my air shifter to the shift light to shift automatic but I was going to have to buy a new light with a trigger wire. I might rethink things a little now & look at this unit closer. I still have bugs in my shifter I have only ran once with it & it does not always work guess I need to get that worked out before I go to far.

Cool I was going to hook my air shifter to the shift light to shift automatic but I was going to have to buy a new light with a trigger wire. I might rethink things a little now & look at this unit closer. I still have bugs in my shifter I have only ran once with it & it does not always work guess I need to get that worked out before I go to far.

Always wanted to run the air shifter off the shift light on my drag bike till I saw a guy at the track with that set up spin the tire hard and the bike shifted....picked up tranny with a shovel. This guy was spraying hard right out of the hole so his own fault. Bike had Progressive controller in it. Build time was set at like half a second 75-100%......I would probably do this on a vmax with no spray and not worry....always wanted to do the automatic thing at the track. What could be better than that ?

This guy I used to see at the track, every now and then, was setup to be automatic. He was using an electric/air unit. He tied up the shifter's switch to his shiftlight signal. I thought it was pretty ingenious. Change shift points, just flip a DIP switch on the shift light.

Always wanted to run the air shifter off the shift light on my drag bike till I saw a guy at the track with that set up spin the tire hard and the bike shifted....picked up tranny with a shovel. This guy was spraying hard right out of the hole so his own fault. Bike had Progressive controller in it. Build time was set at like half a second 75-100%......I would probably do this on a vmax with no spray and not worry....always wanted to do the automatic thing at the track. What could be better than that ?
Mine is just a bone stock motor with exaust & stage 7 so I would probably be ok.

I'd rather press the shift button myself personally, I could definitely see and advantage on something you were bracket racing that hooked hard with the auto shift setup though. I do run juice but also because its still a shaft driven bike so when the driveshaft breaks (notice I said when and not if) if your auto shift your going to buzz shit up in a hurry.. Just some stuff to think about..

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I'd rather press the shift button myself personally, I could definitely see and advantage on something you were bracket racing that hooked hard with the auto shift setup though. I do run juice but also because its still a shaft driven bike so when the driveshaft breaks (notice I said when and not if) if your auto shift your going to buzz shit up in a hurry.. Just some stuff to think about..

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Good point....that would be a shit storm

Latest posts

Back