Screw United Airlines

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's no mistake that I ride anywhere I need to go. When I have to go to the PI I plan on flying Japan or Korean air if I can. I dont fly but I know many who go abroad frequently and fucking hate United and other American based airlines. I hear one horror story after another, I cant believe we tolerate this shit.

Not that it matters much to me being happily married but I hear the Asian airlines have only super hot hot hot stewardesses. Unlike American companies I think they can hire whomever they damn well please.

In shock.

That should be a big lawsuit right there. I hope he follows up with it. I hope the security officers lose their job. That is ridiculous.

( For a background, I work in the emergency medicine field. I get drunk, on drugs, and aggressive / homicidal / suicidal patients all the time. )

The man wasn't being combative. He wasn't being aggressive. He merely said he wasn't going to leave the plane. Even if they had to forcibly remove him, they could have done it without injuring him. If they had to use more than one person they could have asked the other people on the plane to vacate until they were ready.

Nope. They beat the sh*t out of him, he was bleeding, knocked, unconscious and then dragged out of the plane. I'd love to see their protocols and exactly where it says that is acceptable.

Playing devils advocate I could see how they were going to have to forcibly remove him. He didn't have a choice. But the route and how they went about it wasn't ok.

Well, that excludes United from my airline list flying to Alaska! I hope this ends well for the passenger.

Yep same here. Never will fly United again. It just boggles my damn mind that we have self driving cars, we can put rovers on Mars -- hell we landed a probe on a moving comet that it took 10 years to get there -- but an airline STILL can't figure out seat assignments in 2017 when EVERY STEP of the process is done via computer?

They overbook on purpose to compensate for folks that fail to show up for flights, damn if they are going to loose a dime with an empty seat, if that means you get bumped off your flight then thats ok, as long as they are making all the scratch they possibly can. If Im not mistaken it's a contract a flyer agrees to when they buy the ticket, still bullshit though.

Pretty sure almost every ticket I've bought in recent years has been nonrefundable, so I don't know where they're losing money.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

They dont loose money, but if you dont show up you still pay, but they can then resell your seat or use it for a standby flyer, in essence selling the same seat twice and pocketing the money both times. Loosing money, no, getting even more money, yea.

The only thing keeping him off a no-fly list is the fact he was injured while being removed. To me, it looked like he slipped out of the officer's hands halfway into the aisle and hit the armrest on the way down, which knocked him out, but I can't say for sure because I wasn't there. Hell, he even ran BACK ONTO the plane after he was removed the first time. It's a crappy situation any way you look at it, but he agreed to the fine print and United acted within their rules. Overbooking should be better regulated (if it even is), but I'm sure air travel prices will skyrocket because that would cut into their profits.

What criteria do they use to decide who to bump? any? Seems like a physician would be a very unlikely candidate for being removed from a flight. That alone could open up some liability if he made it known that he was a physician and had to return to his clients. I'm glad this is turning into a worldwide shitstorm, airlines are out of control with shit like this.

I just got caught in the cancellations last Wed going into ATL due to storms there. Delta could not put me on another flight to any one of four destinations in Florida in the next two days. I had to cancel my trip. Delta did not offer me any more than my money back after keeping me hostage at the airport for 11 hours. So, next morning, I jumped on my bike and rode 866 miles through MO and AR Ozarks over the next four days as a Plan B vacation. I still had a great time carving up the twisty back roads, but Delta should've put me on another airline if they couldn't honor my ticket. My 2¢.

It's often said by folks who fly and never would ride a motorcycle, that air travel is a very safe method of transportation. HA!
This proves to me I'd better carry a billy with me if I'm going to fly.
Screw that! I'll ride my bikes where I need to go.

Jets are cool, but the Vmax rules!

I refrained from comment because it seems I am in the minority.

I wrote a bunch of stuff then erased it... I don't have much info on this other than reading one article from the NY Times.

Short and sweet, I think the guy should have got off when he was told to get off. 3 others walked off before him without incident.

I decided to read into this a little more. I googled the guys name and this was one of the first articles that popped up.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/11/doctor-dragged-off-flight-convicted-of-trading-drugs-for-sex/

Does anyone consider that this guy may have been looking to turn this into something more than getting bumped off a plane?

Last edited:
I see that he is going to sue now. Didnt figure that wold take long

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ual-passenger-idUSKBN17E1GN

No doubt his behavior could have been better, his history, who knows. I'm taking the NYPost with a grain of salt, I'm not familiar with it but it has a tabloid feel to it. I'm sure the lawyers will argue that his criminal history has no relevance in this non-criminal proceeding, of which I would tend to agree. If the NY post is correct we have proven that he's a bit of a dick. Not atypical for a great many doctors I have been acquainted with. Even if it's true I'm not sure a court would consider any of it an excuse for how it was handled. I like their new idea of giving monetary perks for those willing to step off the plane. We are so past due for serious changes to how airlines do business. Even if this guy is a dickhole I hope his lawyers grind United to dust in court.

I refrained from comment because it seems I am in the minority.

I wrote a bunch of stuff than erased it... I don't have much info on this other than reading one article from the NY Times.

Short and sweet, I think the guy should have got off when he was told to get off. 3 others walked off before him without incident.

My comment is not about what the security guys did, but why
an·ar·chy
ˈanərkē/Submit
noun
a state of disorder due to absence or nonrecognition of authority.

Somehow a large percentage of people have lost any respect for Authority. Entitlement? maybe self importance? You have the right to be pissed, take further action, sue the crap out of them. Whatever you want. But when a person, that has legal authority, tells you to do something, you do it. Maybe it's just me.

If the guy complies, he doesn't get dragged. 98% of the police shootings would never happen, if the person just complied. IMO. Now this guy is gonna get a big pay day, for child like, piss poor behavior. A big time local defense attorney was interviewed on the radio. He said they had a legal right to do everything that happened, just extremely poor judgement on the execution. Probably the better way, was to get the local police, and if he didn't get off the plane for them, they could arrest him for trespassing, and taken him off in cuffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y8HdeHtOJs

Good thing you Sir were not one of the first settlers from England to populate and start this Country. You would have been kissing the Redcoats asses I believe all the while thinking it's your duty to king and Country. Sorry to be so harsh. Usually not my way or tone. I can only surmise you want a third bathroom and no prayers in schools and the like.

Good thing you Sir were not one of the first settlers from England to populate and start this Country. You would have been kissing the Redcoats asses I believe all the while thinking it's your duty to king and Country. Sorry to be so harsh. Usually not my way or tone. I can only surmise you want a third bathroom and no prayers in schools and the like.

Big time Apples and oranges. If I don't agree to follow the rules of something, then I don't participate. If I come to your home, do you expect me to respect your rules. What are you gonna due when I tell you to f... off. That's what this guy did. Did you treat your kids to ice cream, when they had a tantrum. Your surmise is 180 degrees off. I guess I need to communicate better. I have absolutely no use for government or social justice. I do however have respect for the law. I want to be left alone, and Imposing minority rights on me is sickening. Live how you want, leave me alone. When you choose to participate in an activity, there is an expectation to follow the Rules. Better known as the law.

Big time Apples and oranges. If I don't agree to follow the rules of something, then I don't participate. If I come to your home, do you expect me to respect your rules. What are you gonna due when I tell you to f... off. That's what this guy did. Did you treat your kids to ice cream, when they had a tantrum. Your surmise is 180 degrees off. I guess I need to communicate better. I have absolutely no use for government or social justice. I do however have respect for the law. I want to be left alone, and Imposing minority rights on me is sickening. Live how you want, leave me alone. When you choose to participate in an activity, there is an expectation to follow the Rules. Better known as the law.

I have no issue with them removing him. I took issue on HOW they removed him. I work in EMS and work closely with law enforcement. Here is a different way of me imagining it. FOR EXAMPLE: You say you want to hurt yourself, and other people. I have to forcibly remove you from scene if you don't comply. You're not allowed to stay there. You have to go to the hospital for a crisis/scip/psychiatric evaluation. There are times where we don't get police on scene. That doesn't mean that I beat the shit out of you trying to get you in the ambulance. That means I wait for more assistance, or my partner and I restrain you without hurting you.

But I agree with you 100% when you say that he should have just left. I agree that it may have been escalated to having to forcibly remove him. That should have been done in restraints, it should have been done with more than one person. It shouldn't have caused him to be bleeding from his face afterwards. I've been punched, slaps, kicked, etc.. and I've never in handled a situation like that... and I work in an area a lot scarier than an airport.

I have no issue with them removing him. I took issue on HOW they removed him. I work in EMS and work closely with law enforcement. Here is a different way of me imagining it. FOR EXAMPLE: You say you want to hurt yourself, and other people. I have to forcibly remove you from scene if you don't comply. You're not allowed to stay there. You have to go to the hospital for a crisis/scip/psychiatric evaluation. There are times where we don't get police on scene. That doesn't mean that I beat the shit out of you trying to get you in the ambulance. That means I wait for more assistance, or my partner and I restrain you without hurting you.

But I agree with you 100% when you say that he should have just left. I agree that it may have been escalated to having to forcibly remove him. That should have been done in restraints, it should have been done with more than one person. It shouldn't have caused him to be bleeding from his face afterwards. I've been punched, slaps, kicked, etc.. and I've never in handled a situation like that... and I work in an area a lot scarier than an airport.
I'll agree with this.

I'll say that the reason for removing those 4 passengers is bullshit but, it seems to be the airline's right to do so. I wouldn't be happy losing my seat, pending my plans for when I landed.

It looks like it was Chicago PD who removed Dao. Also looks like he was warned about being forcefully removed if he didn't comply.

https://www.google.com/amp/people.com/human-interest/david-dao-united-airlines-flight/amp/

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back