Seafoam in the tranny??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbateman

Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster...

'07 VMAX 22,500Mi.

Felling a bit of lag over 5K RPM, I'm a little over due for an oil change, was thinking of putting Seafoam in a crankcase for 10 minutes, loosen the gunk, drain/fill, get back on the road.

But, will Seafoam effect the tranny, clutch or gears in any negative way?

I don't think it would be listed on the back of the Seafoam bottle if it damaged the engine.
I've put it into a few crankcases on vehicles. Only ever let them idle in the driveway with some gentle revving (my paranoia). The oil comes out very thin and darker/dirtier than you've ever seen.
If you have a lag over 5k, I would give you approx 0.1% chance that this would help in any way. Chances are your carbs are getting gummed up. Seafoam in your oil hopefully won't make its way to the jets and passages in your carbs. You would be better served putting the seafoam in your fuel as a first step. Then try the peashooter method of injecting seafoam directly into the nooks and crannies of your carbs. Then shotgun 'em. Then take the carbs out, clean the hell out of them, rebuild them, install and sync 'em, and then enjoy the feeling of clean carbs again.
Just my $0.02

Float bowl off, jet block off, brass jets out, clean them, and a carb soak preferably in an ultrasonic bath.

I personally would not try Seafoam. For everything else inside the engine I'd think it was fine, besides the clutch friction discs.

I would use diesel engine oil that is designed to clean particles and do shorter intervals. At least works very well in my bike.

We've used seafoam in the oil with no issues. You don't need a lot. It can work well when bikes that have the clear engine covers as it can remove the condensation build up in engines that don't get a lot of run time to burn it out normally.

Latest posts

Back