Seafoam vs. Star tron

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJShover

Proud Vmax lover
Reaction score
A friend of mine popped over today while I was working on my bike. We got to discussing various snake oils, such as Seafoam, Stabil, Marvil's Mystery Oil when he brought up Star Tron.

Star Tron aparantly does the same thing as Seafoam but better, I looked it up and here is what it had to say for it'self.

Has any of you guys used this product?

http://www.startron.com

Product Description
Star Tron? is an amazing fuel treatment based on naturally occurring enzymes. Although this is a very unique application of enzyme technology, we encounter various enzymes in our everyday lives. For example, enzymes in laundry detergents break down dirt and stains so that they may be easily washed away, even in cold water. Enzymes in the human digestive system break down food into components that are easily used by the body to produce energy. Functioning as biocatalysts, enzymes increase and control the rate of chemical reactions. Star Tron? uses highly specialized enzymes to modify how gasoline and diesel fuel burns, the end result being more complete and uniform combustion. This same enzyme package, cleans the fuel delivery system and combustion chambers, stabilizes fuel chemistry and reduces engine emissions.

Increasing Power & Improving Fuel Economy, Reducing Emissions
Engines are not very efficient at burning all of the fuel that is fed into the cylinders. The result of this incomplete combustion is reduced power, production of harmful emissions and carbon formation. By changing the bonding structure of the hydrocarbon molecules that make up fuel, enzymes in Star Tron? allow more oxygen to attach to the fuel at the time of ignition, resulting in a more complete burn of the fuel charge. Star Tron? treated fuel therefore produces greater power, dramatically increases fuel economy and shows up to a 90% reduction in commonly encountered emissions. Carbon monoxide is reduced up to 40%. Diesel soot is now classified as a carcinogen and a toxic air contaminant. Enzyme modified diesel fuel can reduce soot by over one half in just a day and continued use can reduce soot by up to 80%.

Cleaning Injectors, The Fuel Delivery System & Combustion Chambers While Removing Carbon Build-Up

valve_before_after.jpg
When more of the fuel charge is burned there is a dramatic drop in the formation of performance robbing carbon deposits. After several hours of operating with Star Tron? enhanced fuel, the engine’s concussive forces will blow all existing carbon off the pistons, completely cleaning the combustion chamber without the use of solvent-based carbon removing additives. As the enzymes in Star Tron? are naturally powerful surface-active agents, deposits are removed from the fuel tank, fuel lines, injectors, valves, pistons and spark plugs. Star Tron? accomplishes these cleaning tasks quickly and at the lowest per gallon cost of any product on the market. Once existing carbon deposits are removed and future deposit formation is prevented, knocking and pinging (pre-detonation) are eliminated. Engines develop full power while running smoother and quieter. An added benefit of a deposit free combustion chamber is that fuel burns at a properly controlled rate, helping to greatly boost fuel economy.

Microbial Growth In Fuel

fuel_beaker.jpg
When gasoline or diesel fuel sits in a tank with excessive air space, the daily temperature changes produce condensation (water formation) on tank walls. This water falls into the fuel where it sinks to the bottom providing a breeding ground for microbial spores that feed on hydrocarbon fuels. Known as "diesel algae" these are primarily fungi, yeast and mold contaminants. If left untreated, diesel algae will ruin the fuel causing clogs in filters, fuel lines and injectors. Common treatment for this problem up until now has been the use of a biocide to kill existing growth and prevent a future infestation. The use of a biocide can however cause other problems. Once the growth is killed, the resulting biomass settles to the tank bottom where it decays forming organic acids. The acids then deteriorate the fuel and cause corrosion of the tank walls, injectors and fuel delivery system. Additionally, biocides can be harmful to all those who handle them or come in contact with treated fuel, plus they can cause environmental damage if spilled. Star Tron? uses its enzyme technology to disperse microbial growth throughout the fuel. These microbial particles are then either safely burned away or filtered out.

Treating Water In Fuel

As mentioned before, water can wind up in your gas or diesel fuel as a result of condensation in the tank. Because water is heavier than fuel, it sinks to the bottom of the tank and forms a distinct water layer. The fuel pick-up tube is located at the bottom of the tank so, once this happens, water is supplied to your fuel pump. Obviously the engine can not burn water; soon it starts to sputter and eventually stops running. Additionally, water is corrosive so it deteriorates tank walls and metals in the fuel delivery system. The enzymes in Star Tron? prevent the water molecules that are in fuel from combining and forming a distinct water layer. Water is reduced to sub-micron size particles that cannot cause corrosion and are safely burned during normal combustion.

Ethanol-Enhanced Gasoline
The emissions-reducing additive MTBE that has been put into gasoline for years was found to contaminate water supplies. As a result, MTBE is being eliminated throughout the U.S. and replaced by up to 10% ethanol. When used up quickly, ethanol-enhanced gas does not present difficulties for users. In boats and RVs that tend to use up fuel less frequently however, the new ethanol gas does in fact create problems. Ethanol has a great affinity for water and as a result, this new formulated fuel can cause a water layer to form and gelling to occur. Additionally, ethanol is an excellent solvent that can attack sludge buildup in fuel tanks and cause fuel filters to clog frequently. Star brite Star Tron? can prevent these problems from occurring and can also reverse the problems if they already exist.

Stabilizing Fuel Chemistry

soltrontest.jpg
Diesel fuel and gasoline are not formulated to be stored for more than 90 days. After this period of time, they begin to oxidize, forming sludge, varnish, gum and other harmful deposits. The ability of the fuel to burn properly is diminished as chemical components start to break down. Star Tron? uses its enzyme technology to maintain fuel quality and prevent the deterioration of fuel components. Diesel fuel treated with Star Tron? has a shelf life in excess of two years. Gasoline, which tends to evaporate volatile components more quickly than diesel, remains stable for one year. Once hydrocarbon fuels deteriorate, the process of cleaning and rejuvenating them is extremely expensive. Enzymes contained in Star Tron? can in fact "repair" old fuel, restoring cetane and octane ratings, dispersing water and breaking down sludge and other deposits. Star Tron?’s enzyme formula may well be the most cost effective fuel remediation technology in the world.

Reminds me of the sales pitch we used to get from the BG rep back in the early 90's at the local Chrysler/Plymouth dealer I worked at - especially the before & after pics of the intake valves. I had one car we BG'ed the hell out of for about 2 months & finally had to pull the cylinder head. After 2 months of treatment the intake valves were so coked up I had to wire wheel the valve clean & replace the seals to get it to idle properly. I'm no chemist or engineer, but as a pro wrench I believe ALL these products are nothing but snake oil. I know technology has improved tremendously since then, but I'll continue to be a sceptic [sp] until proved wrong. I mysellf was using Amsoil PI & non-ethanol gas until a couple months ago when I honestly coudn't tell the difference so I just started using whatever 87 octane pump gas I could find. Just my 2 cents...

Richwrench, give BG44K a try. I, too was cautiously optimistic. Before the treatment I took the carbs and intake manifolds off. There were carb deposits on each of the intake valves. I split the BG into three containers and use one for each of the next three fill-ups. A month or so later I removed carbs and intakes again and was surprised to see all deposits were gone. Like most good products, I think moderation helps.

The Star Brite stuff has no enzymes (company and company spokesman said so)- would show up in the MSDS, which shows it is mostly >95% Naphtha.

running debate for the last 3 Years (!!) here:
http://my.boatus.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=57592&PN=1&TPN=1

It may very well be a good product, but interesting they have found no useful information in the three years of the thread.

If you can't find BG44k, Redline SI-1 has most of the ingredients the old BG44K had.

Does it better! LOL!!

Seafoam has been around over 50 years! Seafoam does everything I need it to do in an additive. It has never failed in any of my expecatations.

When Startron crosses the 50 yrs of satisfying customers and proven its product I may try it. But I doubt I will have a VMAX with sensitive carbs.

Richwrench, give BG44K a try. I, too was cautiously optimistic. Before the treatment I took the carbs and intake manifolds off. There were carb deposits on each of the intake valves. I split the BG into three containers and use one for each of the next three fill-ups. A month or so later I removed carbs and intakes again and was surprised to see all deposits were gone. Like most good products, I think moderation helps.

I highly doubt this. I bet you were adjusting the floats and possiblly checking for carbon deposits in the float bowls :rofl_200:

When Startron crosses the 50 yrs of satisfying customers and proven its product I may try it. But I doubt I will have a VMAX with sensitive carbs.

The jist of it I was refering to was the enzyme tech. that they are using. There are several compainies that are pursuing this technology, recently Shell just bought into one of these companies. The last time I checked Shell has been around for a little more than 50 years.

This product is mainly used in boats, I know a few on this forum have boats. Are you a boater Donn? I've been using stabil for ever and a decade in my boat, I'm just looking for some feedback.

This product is mainly used in boats, I know a few on this forum have boats. Are you a boater Donn? I've been using stabil for ever and a decade in my boat, I'm just looking for some feedback.

I'll have to give a try. I've always used stabil as well. Any info and where to find it, don't remember seeing it in stores.

I've been using Stabil all these years for winter or summer (snowblower) put-aways (about 6 months typically, pretty short-term) and haven't had any problems until recently when my small motors (weedwackers, leafblowers, ect) started screwing up and failing to start and/or run well.

Now i've got people around me (some in the business) telling me that the Ethanal in the gas (which is currently at 10% and threatening to go to 20%) is not only impacting these motors on it's own but is causing Stabil to be useless. This seams strange to all-of-sudden start creating problems since they've been adding Ethanol for many years now. But they're telling me I need to use a marine grade such as a Briggs & Stratton product to work with the Ethanol to keep from breaking down.

Are any of you having problems with their small motors?? Or hear this about the Stabil product??

(maybe this should be it's own thread? Don't want to jack the thread but Stabil was already being discussed here)

I've been using Stabil all these years for winter or summer (snowblower) put-aways (about 6 months typically, pretty short-term) and haven't had any problems until recently when my small motors (weedwackers, leafblowers, ect) started screwing up and failing to start and/or run well.

I'm having issues with my leaf blower, mower, weed trimmer as well. Last year I ended up rebuilding and cleaning all thier carbs. I've been using stabil on them too. they normally sit between 7-8 months.

I'm not sure there is going to be a "miracle worker" formula out there that will allow the long term storage of gasoline, and maybe a different approach is needed, like inventory control.

Buy gasoline in smaller quantities, add a little Seafoam, Stabil, or whatever and use it for the short term, till the leaves are blown or the weeds whacked. Then drain the gas tank, run the carbs dry and put the equipment up until it's needed again.

Use whatever gas is left over to wash parts with.

Now i've got people around me (some in the business) telling me that the Ethanal in the gas (which is currently at 10% and threatening to go to 20%) is not only impacting these motors on it's own but is causing Stabil to be useless. This seams strange to all-of-sudden start creating problems since they've been adding Ethanol for many years now. But they're telling me I need to use a marine grade such as a Briggs & Stratton product to work with the Ethanol to keep from breaking down.

Are any of you having problems with their small motors?? Or hear this about the Stabil product??

(maybe this should be it's own thread? Don't want to jack the thread but Stabil was already being discussed here)

Thats what the small engine shop told me with my weed whacker. My leaf blower won't throttle up either, just haven't had time to tear it apart. They suggested finding gas stations who dont use ethanol.

I'm not sure there is going to be a "miracle worker" formula out there that will allow the long term storage of gasoline, and maybe a different approach is needed, like inventory control.

Buy gasoline in smaller quantities, add a little Seafoam, Stabil, or whatever and use it for the short term, till the leaves are blown or the weeds whacked. Then drain the gas tank, run the carbs dry and put the equipment up until it's needed again.

Use whatever gas is left over to wash parts with.

I'm running empty on the yard equipment, but sometimes you can't help it. 40gals in the boat is a lot of fuel to drain.

What I find interesting it just started happening to the yard equipment a few years ago.

Back