searched and searched with no results, any instructions on installing Mark's exhaust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
I talked to Mark today and he told me he hasn't got around to doing instuctions on installation of his exhaust but he said it was straight forward. Now for someone like me who has never installed exhaust I'm sure I will have all kinds of problems ( mostly second guessing myself )

I search and searched and couldn't find any install guides on the forum. does anyone know of any on here or anywhere else?

Thanks

Ron

Re: searched and searched with no results, any instructions on installing Mark's exha

Take the old one off.....put the new one on!!!! (just kidding)

Re: searched and searched with no results, any instructions on installing Mark's exha

Much be trying to rack up posts?

Ron,

I installed a set of Marks Pipes a few months ago. Just lay all the parts on a blanket or cardboard so you can get a look at them. It is self explanatory as far as which pipes go where. If I remember right I started by putting the head pipes onto the two rear cylinders first. Don't tighten the flanges up too much yet. I then put one of the headpipes onto a front cylinder and left the bolts pretty loose. Then, went under the bike and put a the collector on the side with both front and rear pipes. Then put the collector on the other side, other front head pipe, and wiggled everything together. You gotta leave the flange bolts loose to you get everything in there. Once all the pipes were in place I snugged the bolts a bit more but not enough to lock it all in place, just somewhat tight. Then pushed all the joints together as tightly as they would go. Then, put on the mufflers. Once the mufflers were on and I saw it was all lined up OK then I gave everything the final torque. Don't be surprised if you need to adjust things to make the mufflers look right. Mine both needed some "precision" alignment. I did this by grabbing the can and rotating it away from the frame in effect bending the mounting tab VERY SLIGHTLY. Otherwise the muffler can would have been touching my shock on one side.

My exhaust gaskets were fine, no need for new ones on my bike. I did not apply any sealant to the exhaust joints. I debated but Mark said he did not feel it to be necessary and it hasn't leaked yet so I guess its good. You may need new bolts to mount the mufflers to the bike. Mark will give you two nuts to use with the stock bolts, but I found the bolts to be a bit too short for my liking. The stock bolt is 10mm x1.25 thread. I don't remember the length though. I purchased some button head stainless bolts that are 10 mm x 1.5 thread x 60 mm long and also had to buy two new nuts for the bolts since the thread pitch was different. I had a hard time finding anything 10mm x 1.25pitch.

See attached for torque values on flange bolts and muffler bolts.

Oh, and I had to make a tool to tighten the flange bolts on the rear head pipes. it was an allen key cut down to about 1" or so. I had to turn the little nub with a wrench. That was only on the two bolt on the inboard side of the rear cylinders. The rest of them were easily reached with a typical ratchet drive allen socket.

Attachments

• exhaust install.pdf
    93.4 KB · Views: 26

OK I JUST installed mine. Things to remember... The front head pipes look VERY similar and can be swapped side to side but won't work. The thing to remember is the spring mounts/rings that hold the springs on MUST point in towards the center of the bike. The rear pipes aren't hard to figure out which one goes where IMO. Just take your time and be patient.

Things you'll want when installing them:
A short 1.5" long 8mm allen? to get into the tight rear area and tighten the nuts. You may have to make this yourself by buying an L shaped allen? and cutting it.

I used a 8mm combination wrench to do the back nuts.

A small amount of anti-seize and put a dab on the flange bolts to make it easier to remove later if needed.

I also had socket style allen? and L shaped to make the job easier.

Remember to let it all get to running temp and then re-check the nuts to make sure they're good and then again after a few heat cycles.

Another tool that helps the spring install is a C shaped pick or they actually make spring pullers to pull the springs on. Vice-Grips work in a pinch but will mar the springs.

I had to use a half round bastard file to clean up some of the openings to make them easier to get the pipes into. (nice tool to have but sand paper will suffice)

Chris

+1 for Mike and Chris' pointers! The stock exhaust was almost as time consuming as the installation of the Mark's system. Just take your time to match up all the connections while the headbolts are still loose and you should be fine. I too had to do a little creative fitting of the LH cans mounting hole, just a little filing to make it line up correctly. As Mike used different bolts so did I. The stock bolt and the nut that Mark provides were a little too short for my liking so I used a 10mm socket cap and a nylock nut to complete the mounting.

All the parts I received worked fine! You just DO NOT use the stock washers and they'll work. Crank down uber tight and ride on...

Chris

Thanks alot Mike and Chris I printed out both your posts and I'm sure they will be a great help....

Ron

Just remember to remove ALL finger prints and marks BEFORE starting the engine. If you don't they may ruin the finish. I know they will with chrome.

Just remember to remove ALL finger prints and marks BEFORE starting the engine. If you don't they may ruin the finish. I know they will with chrome.

Very true!! Fingerprint moisture contains a very effective etching medium, some people more than others. I had to use a silicone rag on all my mic's, verniers etc., every night to avoid perma-prints.

Honda polish will work well for this.

danny

Windex will work too...

Thanks again, I'll make sure I wipe down my entire exahust before firing the bike up for the first time with the new exhaust. You suggest "Honda polish" ?? is that the best to use or your preference ?

Thanks
Ron

Any degreaser will work... Hell brake clean will work well too...

Thanks again, I'll make sure I wipe down my entire exahust before firing the bike up for the first time with the new exhaust. You suggest "Honda polish" ?? is that the best to use or your preference ?

Thanks
Ron

Just personal preference Eagle but more importantly....what happens to be on the workbench.:biglaugh:

There's a bunch of things that would work just as well....rubbing alcohol, WD-40, any automotive detailer, chrome polish, dish detergent.......lots of possibilities.

Just personal preference Eagle but more importantly....what happens to be on the workbench.:biglaugh:

There's a bunch of things that would work just as well....rubbing alcohol, WD-40, any automotive detailer, chrome polish, dish detergent.......lots of possibilities.

I have rubbing alcohol, WD-40, any automotive detailer, chrome polish, dish detergent :eusa_dance:

I should be all set

Ron

Why do you even need to install the springs? My fit is quite tight so I did'nt even use them

Why do you even need to install the springs? My fit is quite tight so I did'nt even use them

I agree. The fit on mine were spot on, very tight. The springs did not seem necessary. I did install them though. My only guess is that when things heat up there may be some expansion and contraction when the pipes cool and the springs are there to make sure everything stays as it should be just in case.

I already know that I'll get in my pipes and look at everything and say 'Where the hell does this go" Instructions would be a great help, Mark even said he really should make some for those of us like me who have not done this before.

I have some pictures of the my Marks pipes laid out in pre-installed position on a moving blanket. Maybe this will help you visualize how it goes together. :thumbs up:

Attachments

• Marks not installed 1.jpg
    Marks not installed 1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Marks not installed 2.jpg
    Marks not installed 2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Marks not installed 3.jpg
    Marks not installed 3.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Marks not installed 4.jpg
    Marks not installed 4.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 19

Brian,

Thanks for the pic's they will help a lot, now if I could just see pictures of how to attach the pipes to the bike I would be all set.......lol And what's with the spring? no mater if some think I don't need it I still would like to know what it;s for and where it goes..

Thanks
Ron

Back