Sears Craftsman brand is sold!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.wsj.com/articles/sears-sells-craftsman-brand-to-stanley-black-decker-1483623215

Sears Holdings Corp. said it reached a deal to sell its iconic Craftsman brand to Stanley Black & Decker Inc. for about $900 million, as the cash-strapped retailer continues to seek ways to whittle down its debt.

Sears will continue to offer Craftsman-branded products though a perpetual license from Stanley Black & Decker, which will be royalty-free for the first 15 years after closing. The deal gives Stanley the rights to develop, manufacture and sell Craftsman-branded products outside of Sears.

The craftsman name is practically worthless at this point but should be an even match quality wise with Stanley and Black and Decker products. I personally prefer Klein and Wiha tools, but my profession is IT so durable, shock resistant precision tools are the best for me.

Sears seems to be in a bit of trouble. They just announced there closing of 2 big mall stores, here in the Buffalo NY area. Back in the day, late 70's, 80's, craftsmen were the tools to have. reasonable quality and a good return policy. Snap-on was better, but a lot more cash. It's been a while, but a friend was telling me he was having troubles returning a broken tool. Used to be no questions asked.

Sears seems to be in a bit of trouble. They just announced there closing of 2 big mall stores, here in the Buffalo NY area. Back in the day, late 70's, 80's, craftsmen were the tools to have. reasonable quality and a good return policy. Snap-on was better, but a lot more cash. It's been a while, but a friend was telling me he was having troubles returning a broken tool. Used to be no questions asked.

I agree on both points. I have some older craftsman tools tbat are great, but a few newer ones that leave something to be desired. They will exchange broken ones but it is not a hassle free process. My main tools are Snap-on, MAC and Matco with smitterings of other. I would say for anything other than a casual maintainance user its best to spend the scratch for something you can hand down to your kids.

I avoid anything made in China altogether. Too bad to see Craftsman join the ranks of mediocrity after spending so many yesrs as a decent quality/affordablely priced option

I've got a toolbox full of Craftsman tools from when I was a VW mechanic in the 1970s. Never had any problems with them. I think I broke a half inch drive ratchet back in the day, and if memory serves, it was replaced without question. I have a Craftsman motorcycle jack that had a bad hydraulic cylinder after a few years use. They replaced the jack with a new one without question, too.

I'm not surprised. Here you can pick up craftsman tools at Sears, Kmart, and Ace hardware. I've been seeing that for the last couple of years. With them divesting like that, I knew that Craftsman was in trouble.

I'm not surprised. Here you can pick up craftsman tools at Sears, Kmart, and Ace hardware. I've been seeing that for the last couple of years. With them divesting like that, I knew that Craftsman was in trouble.
I noticed that too. Thought it was a bit odd

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Had Craftman tool since 30 years and more, Snap-on was to expensive and to atractive for thief as i was contrator going every where factory.

For the home apliance, well, it won`t change that much as they are made from no brand factory as `Camco` and else

Sears and K-Mart's are closing all over the Tampa Bay Area. Talked to one of their tool guys, He is going to be a Greeter at Wally World.:ummm:

If I were just starting out and only used tools working on my own stuff, I'd go to Harbor Freight and get about everything needed for a few hundred bucks. Things like torque wrenches, I'd buy major brand. $90 breaker bars now gathering dust is a piss off. But good to have when I need them.I saw the same one for under $20 at H.F. i'm sure the H.F. is fine. All guaranteed too.

I wear every day a stainless steel divers-style watch, by Casio, that I bought a few years ago at Sears. I think I paid about $85 on a Christmas sale. Working fire-rescue I used to wear Seiko Sports 150's but they would only last a couple of years before they would stop. Then I went to G-Shocks, and that saw me through 'till retirement. I have a schmantzy Citizen titanium-case Eco-Drive chronometer, which is my favorite watch, but I use it only occasionally. No batteries to replace is great!

AMW320RD-1A9V_large.png

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Casio-Mens-AMW320RD-1A9V-Stainless-Steel-Watch-/152219853451

Sears sells clothing on-sale reasonably, I'll buy my blue jeans and Dockers professional business attire from Sears before Wally-World. I don't really shop at Wally-World, I bet it's years in-between my visits there.

I've bought major appliances from Sears, last one was a $$$ washer/dryer set, the low-volume of water washer does OK, but I was raised to see that water level come close to the top of the tub before the agitator began dancing.

My only reason to go into Sears was the tool section.

I like your style in watches! Unfortunately the HARBOR Freight motorcycle jack i bought was better than the aluminum one I returned to Sears. The Sears unit was not stable, scared me! The HF was very stable, but the lack of quality shows. After a year I had to rebuild the release valve by cleaning up the burrs left inside the port. It now lowers as it should when you hit the release lever.

I like your style in watches! Unfortunately the HARBOR Freight motorcycle jack i bought was better than the aluminum one I returned to Sears. The Sears unit was not stable, scared me! The HF was very stable, but the lack of quality shows. After a year I had to rebuild the release valve by cleaning up the burrs left inside the port. It now lowers as it should when you hit the release lever.

+1 on the HF motorcycle jack. I use to use mine to jack up my Hyundai all the time haha. It's still being used to this day, with no issues. Not bad for a cheap'o jack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sears sells clothing on-sale reasonably, I'll buy my blue jeans

I've bought major appliances from Sears, last one was a $$$ washer/dryer set.

Same here. All the jeans I own were purchased at Sears. I haven't bought dress or casual pants in over a decade....I have a couple in the closet that I'm sure don't fit.

Sears has a scratch n dent store on the outskirts of Pittsburgh. I picked up a washer there about 9 years ago. Still going strong. I've put about $30 worth of parts in it. Only issue with it was a dent in the case which I was able to repair easily.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back