Seat choices

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacktothemax

Reaction score
Hey all you dedicated Vmax enthusiasts,
just picked up a 2006 Black Max and want to do something with my seat, I know there is the maxgasser, the corbin, the muscle guy and and the sportmax. It seems like the sportmax is the best priced but I am one who has learned that you get you pay for. However, this is only a seat man, it's not triple bypass surgery or an engine overhaul!
I saw Sean's post on how to dismantle your own seat and shave away foam and then re-stretch and re-staple the original vinyl right back on.
I personally am going to try this as I am an avid DIYourselfer and feel this is WELL within my ability, I can always go to a local upholstery shop and have them fix it if I screw it up.
Any thoughts from you all out there who don't want to spend $300 plus on a seat or am I just to darn thrifty?

Hey all you dedicated Vmax enthusiasts,
just picked up a 2006 Black Max and want to do something with my seat, I know there is the maxgasser, the corbin, the muscle guy and and the sportmax. It seems like the sportmax is the best priced but I am one who has learned that you get you pay for. However, this is only a seat man, it's not triple bypass surgery or an engine overhaul!
I saw Sean's post on how to dismantle your own seat and shave away foam and then re-stretch and re-staple the original vinyl right back on.
I personally am going to try this as I am an avid DIYourselfer and feel this is WELL within my ability, I can always go to a local upholstery shop and have them fix it if I screw it up.
Any thoughts from you all out there who don't want to spend $300 plus on a seat or am I just to darn thrifty?

You can find used aftermarket seats, usually a Corbin, for around $150 thru the usual places: CL, eBay, here. But, ("butt"):biglaugh: comfort which allows you to enjoy your ride is certainly worth the reasonable price. Determine 'what is reasonable,' and spend-away. Try the cut-down seat first and then after you tried the cheap-shot, you can feel justified in spending the extra $$ to get what you want/need. besides, I don't think anyone w/as-many items of rolling-stock in his garage has any justification for 'cheaping-out!' I will close with a prior comment I made, "he gets 150 miles to a tankful, but how-about his prostate?" Some things become more-important as you become a "more-experienced" rider.

I may skimp om alot of stuff, but I learned the seat is not one. After biting the bullet and buying the Corbin, it has made the Max so much more enjoyable for both solo, and 2 up!

I modified my seat (years ago) by reshaping it to suit me and adding some High Density Foam and I couldn't be happier.
I actually added some height to it with the extra foam because I'm 6'1" and the Stock Seat was too low for me.
I have ridden it all day many, many times since and I don't have any problem with comfort.
And it didn't cost me anything, the foam and glue I used I got from a friend that does car upholstery.

Sean's and Sportmax are both good as well as the max gasser although I've never sat on one of those. I had Sportmax do mine years ago and it's held up well and I like it a lot.

I've heard the Corbin's are very comfortable but in my opinion, and its just that, only an opinion, they ruin the look of the bike. I rode a few miles on one and it felt like I was perched up way high on the bike and when I put my feet down it cut into the insides of my thighs. I'm 6' tall.

I heard recently from a guy I ran into on a project in Colorado that Sportmax, Furbur, was as bad as Cornell in their dealings with him and that he actually doesn't have a shop anymore.
I do know that he farms these seats out anyhow.
That was strictly hearsay gossip coming from a former shop guy who worked at Python. I wouldn't lend it a lot of credibility but I would include it in my "due diligence" before buying, as I would with any vendor.

If it was me I would go with Sean the muscle guy.
But only your ass can tell you what seat is right for you.

I couldn't make it thru a full tank of gas using the stock seat.

I've ridden and owned them all. No one person can tell you what is best for YOU though. I'm a self admitted cheapskate, tightwad, scrooge and always looking for a deal too. There are tons of seat threads on this forum for you to search. When it was all said and done, I ended up happiest with a Maxgasser for comfort, looks, ease of fueling, build quality.
You test ride a Maxgasser for free or maybe meet up with other maxers that have the other seats.
I think you should try cutting down your own seat. Nothing lost really. If you go with A Sportmax or Muscle seat you have to give them a good core anyway. Who knows, it may be all the change you need. If not happy, put up a "wanted" ad in the classified section on this forum. A good seat is worth its weight in gold.

I've ridden and owned them all. No one person can tell you what is best for YOU though. I'm a self admitted cheapskate, tightwad, scrooge and always looking for a deal too. There are tons of seat threads on this forum for you to search. When it was all said and done, I ended up happiest with a Maxgasser for comfort, looks, ease of fueling, build quality.
You test ride a Maxgasser for free or maybe meet up with other maxers that have the other seats.
I think you should try cutting down your own seat. Nothing lost really. If you go with A Sportmax or Muscle seat you have to give them a good core anyway. Who knows, it may be all the change you need. If not happy, put up a "wanted" ad in the classified section on this forum. A good seat is worth its weight in gold.

When I was considering buying my '92 sitting in the Ft. Lauderdale Honda-Yamaha dealership in '93, my friend who was the salesman tried to get me to buy a Corbin. I sat on it w/the Corbin installed, but it wasn't as-comfortable to me then as a stocker. I was lighter 20 years ago. :biglaugh: now, I have a Corbin Gel and like it very much, except for removing the seat to gas-up. Maybe if I can make it to Kyle's next Tech Day, I can try some of the other seats that show-up. Sean's seats get good reviews, I would like to try one of his.

I have had a SportMax and Corbin and hated the cut-down seat. It smashed the private area and did not allow shifting around in the seat which helps on trips. The Corbin feels hard but supports very well and caused no problems on trips. The longest trip I have had with a Corbin is 3500 miles in 7 days. No problems. The cut-down seat killed me on a 170 mile round trip in one day to Waco and back. This is just my experience but cannot believe I am the only one that had problems with the cut-down seat. Just looking at it you can tell it restricts movement and comes up right into the crotch!! :Ouch:

I have a couple of used reworked seats on hand in our for sale section. We can also loan you one of ours with the option to buy but it may not get the personal touch you may have wanted.

Sean

"Its only a seat man" if this is the case why change it at all? and if that is the case is'nt a cut down stock seat just a cut down stock seat?

AND if "its just a seat man" why did I spend six months designing A better one !

Over the last few months I seen horror stories of guys waiting TOO long with no response from sportmax,

Sean Has a few options for cuts and offers alot of stitching opptions and you cant beat his reputation

The corbin works well for some guys,usually the taller guys.Its hard and hard to fuel and the construction process they use sucks!

The Maxgasser is the ONLY two piece,and BEST QUAILTY AFTRERMARKET vmax seat made,ALL NEW construction Very comfortable,custom stitching available, outstanding customer service and a try before you buy program.

Yes it is expensive , but I guarantee it would be alot more if/when it were in the mustang catalog!

The corbin works well for some guys,usually the taller guys.Its hard and hard to fuel and the construction process they use sucks!

I have had both versions of the Corbin and the first was hard to fuel so most people added an extension as described originally in V-Boost in the 90's. The new version, which is the one I would recommend, is not hard to fuel. I can even fuel up with a tail bag on the passenger portion of the seat. I have used Corbin seats on bikes since the early 90's on several different bikes and have always had no problems, especially on long trips. I have been on many that required an average of 500 miles a day for up to 7 days so really needed a comfortable seat. The only problem I have is my 30" inseam puts me on tip-toes because of the width of the Corbin. However that is what makes is so usable for long periods. Lots of support.:biglaugh:

I think the MaxGassers seat is really inventive and probably very comfortable but I travel with a tailbag and don't think that would work on that seat unless I removed the bag every gas stop. Just my experience and preferences. :confused2:

I was reading this thread and decided to search about the Corbin fueling problem, and found this thread: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=13964&highlight=filler+extension
I have a first-generation Corbin (not 'the plug') and as Sean mentions, have just been removing the seat to refuel, I hold it in-place w/bungees across the rear seat (I don't carry passengers) to the turn signal stalks or the rear frame members behind the side covers. I know I could do-away w/the bungees, but if I pick something up, there they are for cargo duty.

So, I thought about going to some-sort of extension, and there in the thread, are various suggestions. I think the boat deck filler cap/neck has merit. The others are good ideas too. One thing I don't know if I would do, is to use a plumbing rubber fitting for an extension as was mentioned. I would probably try to use a gas line rated flexible hose instead, out of safety concerns. You don't know if the plumbing rubber will withstand the gas.

Well, what I have to use is an old VMax gas tank, off of-which I cut the filler neck in the middle, leaving a good length below the cap receptacle to-allow for slipping a rated-for-gas-use rubber hose over the stock neck and the stub from the donor tank. That way you get to keep your locking gas cap. I haven't done it yet, but it's on the list. I would like to leave my Corbin bolted in-place to stop a casual theft.

I swear by the Maxgasser now. The comfort level is amazing and the ease to gas up and access fuel tank is next to none , Not to mention the looks and the compliments you get while riding out there.

Attachments

• FallMax.jpg
    FallMax.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 85
So, I thought about going to some-sort of extension, and there in the thread, are various suggestions. I think the boat deck filler cap/neck has merit. The others are good ideas too. One thing I don't know if I would do, is to use a plumbing rubber fitting for an extension as was mentioned. I would probably try to use a gas line rated flexible hose instead, out of safety concerns. You don't know if the plumbing rubber will withstand the gas.

The boat filler was what I and 3 other friends with old style Corbins used. The filler is available with or without a locking cap. I bought the locking one but everyone else got the regular one. The set-up has been on my first Max, which I sold to a friend, for 13 years now. He replaced the plumbing extension once. I never had to. Without the extension it is VERY difficult to gas up with the new nozzles. They won't fit down into the seat and if you do stuff it in, you can't tell when the tank is getting full and often overflow gas. That is why I love the new version. Much easier to gas up!!

I swear by the Maxgasser now. The comfort level is amazing and the ease to gas up and access fuel tank is next to none , Not to mention the looks and the compliments you get while riding out there.
That is a damn nice seat...Rick does a nice job on building those. I think that will be my next addition to the max. I can't take the stocker anymore for more than 100 miles.

Yes, a good-looking' ride there. I like that shade of red that year. The seat does look good aesthetically w/the low pass. loop. Aren't there some pics of the Cycleistic luggage rack, the low pass. loop, & a Maxgasser? I may have just seen one recently on a thread here. I am leaning towards a Cycleistic luggage rack instead of the stock one I have; larger, able to securely carry more stuff, capable of using his dedicated sissy bar for pass. comfort & safety, and as I think Patmax wanted, still easy to remove either the backrest or the luggage rack itself.

Evan ( MrNST ) runs a MAXGASSER With the cyclistic rack!

I have a UFO seat that I purchased in 05 and it seems fine but I do know what the other poster means about the "Crotch" problem, but over all a fine seat.

I would suggest going to Morley however and getting his seat, that is what I would do if I had it to do all over again.

The Max Gasser I am sure is a great seat but it detracts greatly from the Hot Rod looks of the Max, IMHO.

O

The stock seat from my 89 was a torture rack. I've ridden on Mark's 2006 and his stock seat
wasn't bad at all.
I bought a Sportmax seat on E-bay and have been on some long rides without being uncomfortable. The seat is a good height for me too. Since I lost a lot of weight the seat is even more suitable. I'm about 174lbs. Witht the Superbike bars, I'm sitting forward a little more and I'm even more comfortable on this seat.
Rick has developed a great new seat from scratch. I've sat on one and it was comfy as could be with special features. Sean has a ton of options for his fine looking seats and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one from him either.
The Corbin just didn't do it for me. I had a nice looking Corbin with a backrest in my possession this summer. It didn't suit me and the look wasn't what I wanted, plus the gas-up issue turned me off.
I don't buy much of anything for my bike untill I can check it out first. My suggestion would be to get out and meet Vmax riders, sit on different seats. Pick the one that fits you the best.
Steve-o

Latest posts

Back