Seat pops open alot.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maj Woody

Reaction score
So I had gotten a seat from Sean about 6 Months ago, and now I cant make it more than10 miles with out it poping open. This didnt start happening till I got up here to PA from Texas. Any ideas on a fix?

Check to make sure the mechanisms are latching. might have something down in there (which is common).

Sean

Also check your wiring harness routing. My wiring harness was in the way keeping my seay from completely latching down

Cheers to West Texas. Lived in Del Rio for a year an a half mate. Been there in the San Angelo Airfield a couple times coming from Laughlin AFB.

Seat is good no cracks, see nothing down in there, and wiring harness not touching. Can it just be the roads here in PA?

i doubt it since MA has some awful roads and mine has never ever popped. when you push it closed do u make sure u hear both latches latch?

i doubt it since MA has some awful roads and mine has never ever popped. when you push it closed do u make sure u hear both latches latch?
I've noticed only one side latches if I don't firmly push the seat back down. When that is he case my seat pops open.
Steve-o

Makes sure it's all clean and lubricate the moving parts. While your at it loosen the mounting bolts and wiggle it around and see if it's an alignment issue.

You should hear two distinct clicks, although they may occur at the same time, and should be able to look up under the fender and SEE the latches fall into place....you have to push hard to squish the seat foam before they latch..

Lube the mechanism....when I first got mine sometimes it would pop open. A spritz of WD40 and two years later it's never popped open again, though it does require a firm press in the center to ensure both latches click.

So I had gotten a seat from Sean about 6 Months ago, and now I cant make it more than10 miles with out it poping open. This didnt start happening till I got up here to PA from Texas. Any ideas on a fix?
Get the hell out of PA and get back to Texas, that should take care of it. :)

So I know it has been a few months shoulder injury took me out of riding. I have cleaned, tightened, loosened, and went back to TX and still the seat pops open. Im at wits end. Please help?

Sounds like you need a good Proctologist ! Or a Maxgasser seat. Seat will be less traumatic for sure! By the way, are you a little guy?

I rarely need to bolt in the seat but you may need to do that if it's not been done already. Look into the latching mechanism and make sure there isn't anything in there preventing the seat from fulling locking down. Also, maybe we need to make sure the hinge mechanism has all the material on the hook tabs so it's grabbing it fully.

Sean

If you follow previous suggestions (lubrication, checking latches for proper operation, etc) and you still find your seat doesn't latch properly, chances are it's because of the extra foam in the aftermarket seat. I had a similiar problem after I reshaped mine. The fix was easy - I shimmed under the attachment points on the centre section, which in effect lengthened the latching arms, so that only normal effort was once again required to get the parts to mate.
I'll post a photo tomorrow, if required.
Cheers

Like Miles said, it might be the extra foam. Mine requires me to kinda put my shoulder into it and listen to each side "click". Some times I have to really get medievil with it to get it to click. Mine doesn't pop open, but I am going to look into the shim idea.

Well i have since done everything again and found the 1 hook tab was bent and not seating properly. Now I also use my inner Chuck Norris and it now sees things my way and stay shut.

Back