Seeking Arizona Vmax Riders

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken_greenwood

Reaction score
I'm trying to put together a riding group of Vmax owners that reside in Arizona. It would be great to have fellow enthusiasts locally to ride and represent this iconic motorcycle.

I created the social group today in this forum. I also created a Facebook group called Arizona Yamaha Vmax Owners.

It doesn't matter to me if the bikes or 1st or 2nd generation!

Any help spreading the word would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ken

Thanks, Ken. I have one with a few mods, and I've seen a guy in Gold Canyon running errands on a bone stock Gen 1. (I couldn't even hear it running when I tried to follow him in my car to chat with him about the bike.)

I'll check out the facebook group.

Shame I cant join you. New Mexico is such a small populated state, I think I have most of the Vmax's in the state.

Well, you’re not “that” far away. A buddy and I did some ghost town touring in NM last month. Heading home and a day behind, we atypically hopped onto I40 and got from Silver City to Phoenix in just over 5 hours.

Silver City is in southern NM. I10 will take you to Phoenix in no time. To get to Albuquerque from Silver city is a 4 hour drive in by itself. I25 and I40 intersect in Albuquerque. To get from Albuquerque to Phoenix is 7-8 hours depending. My grandfather lives in Anthem. I've made the trip a few times to know the distances and hours. So, an 8 hour ride one way is the ride, LOL. Like I said, its a shame you are too far away for a day ride. And believe me....Normally I have no problems hopping on the bike and burning several tanks of gas. If I had issues like that, My Virago wouldn't have 100K on it.

Silver City is in southern NM. I10 will take you to Phoenix in no time. To get to Albuquerque from Silver city is a 4 hour drive in by itself. I25 and I40 intersect in Albuquerque. To get from Albuquerque to Phoenix is 7-8 hours depending. My grandfather lives in Anthem. I've made the trip a few times to know the distances and hours. So, an 8 hour ride one way is the ride, LOL. Like I said, its a shame you are too far away for a day ride. And believe me....Normally I have no problems hopping on the bike and burning several tanks of gas. If I had issues like that, My Virago wouldn't have 100K on it.

Ugh. Didn’t realize you were northern NM. (And I actually know the difference between I10 and I40!)

100k on a Virago, huh?

Does somebody want to have a coffee or something like that coming Saturday? Chandler / Gilbert?

Ugh. Didn’t realize you were northern NM. (And I actually know the difference between I10 and I40!)

100k on a Virago, huh?
Albuquerque is more central New Mexico. Almost geographically centered within the state. Northern NM to me would be areas up toward Taos, Farmington, and such.

I got my Virago in 2002 with 6000 and change. Originally had the 750 in it. Rode first year I got it. NY winter made the carbs split on me. When it heated up, the fuel from the choke was being fed into the main CV slide port. So it sat the following year while I saved up money to re do the bike. Single carb conversion, re-upholstered seat, battery, tires, paint, and so on. Rode it that year. Following year, rode it to NM. During the course of that trip, something happened inside the engine. Cant tell you what as that junk engine was stolen on me after I replaced the engine with a 920. Been riding till 2011 when the front timing chain guide snapped and I rolled the timing. Its now got that fixed, but the time I was working to now, the diaphragm on the CV slide is deteriorated. The bike wont run with that carb. Those diaphragms pop up from time to time but apparently are worth more the weight of gold. I have seen just one of those diaphragms go for well over $100.

In between, the bike has been back to NY from NM about 6 times round trip. All around NM and some trips to Colorado, Texas, and Arizona. While I was in NY, The bike was all up and down the eastern seaboard as far south as Florida. Besides running it out of gas from time to time, its been an extremely reliable bike.

Does somebody want to have a coffee or something like that coming Saturday? Chandler / Gilbert?

I work every Saturday, Sundays are my riding day....

I am open for either Saturday or Sunday anywhere in the area. COVID Makes it a little tough, but there are lots of Dutch Brothers coffee joints where you stand outside, wear a mask like a good citizen, and enjoy a good black brew.

Unfortunately, my Vmax won’t make it this weekend, but will be ready for prime time soon. I will have to choose another weapon for that day. If Chandler/Gilbert Works, I’ll propose a location. Could even be Mesa or Tempe or Ahwatukee. They’re all close.

Ok boys, here’s the deal:

Sunday Morning, October 25 (this Sunday), 8:00 AM

Here are some options since it looks like most folks are East Valley:

Black Rock Cafe/Coffee Bar
1839 S Crismon Rd
Mesa, AZ 85209

Dutch Bros
1. SW corner McQueen and Guadalupe
2. NW corner McKellups and Gilbert Rd
3. Chandler Bvd & S 32nd St Awhatukee

Coffee may or may not be followed by a ride. Not obligatory by any means.

If folks are down with any of the above or have alternative locations in mind, speak up. If we get one or more hands in the air, I’ll be there.

Back