segment or gears ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300smag

Reaction score
Hi all, new member here. For the record I have searched threads and haven't found my same problem, sorry if wrong. I have longed for a vmax and found one 1986, that needed work, (barely running). I went through carbs and is now running well. Test drive gave bad results. I was told that an amateur put a barnett clutch in it and it seems firm and working properly. Starting out in first gear under some load seems to jump and catch rather hard. I'm thinking not the clutch install. second gear through fifth no problem, sometimes hard to get neutral, and sometimes it will miss third when hammering on it. So far I have read about the shift segment, back cut gears. I am hoping not to have to take motor out, don't have the space. I'm leaning toward the fact that the trans. can do in 1st what the common prob. is in 2nd. And have to replace the gears/trans. Please help, Thanks, Wayne

is it having issues going through the gears or missing gears/stuck in a gear, that could point to shift segment, or it ends up in neutral in between gears something like that?

Barnett Clutchs seem to be a popular easy mod to add.

Neutral from my exprence is always annoying to get into, once you own the bike for a bit you will get a better feel for it. I replaced my transmission with the undercut one from Morely, but I was also missing second gear and sometimes third. If your only missing third I dont know the answer for you.

It could be trans but worth looking at the segment and adjusting the shifter. Those last 2 are easy to do. A trans is more involved and more cost. I will say you would love our trans and the overdrive option is awesome too but if you can fix it otherwise then you're good.

Sean

Again, it goes through 2nd to 5th fine, just jumps in 1st under load. Yeah, I figured to just look at segment , easy enough to do. I might have to sell it if I can't afford to or find the space to repair it. I just wondered if from my symptoms you could tell for sure. My research and gut tell me it's the trans. So the questions this leads me to is does the case need split usually? A matter of easily replacing the dogs? How about cost? I love the idea of swapping out one of Sean's units' but what is the cost of one? Thanks for the help once again.

I also tried holding the shifter down with my foot to see if any change. Nope still the same in first gear, jumping and catching. Does this seem awkward that the problem is in 1st. not 2nd. ?

do you mean jump as in the bike feels like the clutch is slipping then grabs again or straigh neutral then in gear?
think you should check the stuff sean mentioned like shifter linkage setting and ya check the shift segment inside and see if its all good, and at the same time might aswell chg it for the newer style....save yourself from doing it later cause you will have to eventually. its cheap and easy to do.

First thing check what Sean suggests, adjust the linkage so you get a more positive shift from neutral to first. ie maybe when you stomp on the selector it isn't quite getting enough movement in that direction.

That would explain why it only does it in first!
Then check the segment. If it's got an early one the first gear pin might be loose causing the same thing. If thats the case put a later model segment in.

I rode a guys Max last year that did the same thing in 1st gear, give me a call Wayne, you live close and we can take a look for ya..........Tom.

It's likely a bad trans but check all the other parts first. It does require splitting the cases (though the heads do not need to come off). You're going to spend at least $1000 and up depending on how much of the stuff you replace (the more you replace now the less you got to worry about later).

Sean

Back