segment pins disappeared (sorry so long)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeter

Reaction score
hi, i'm a new member,recently got back into riding,,(last bike was a 900 (eliminator),,recently i crossed one off of the bucket list and bought a 94' max.
bike has 18,000 mi. and is very clean..recently i had the shifting issues and through this forum learned about the segment issue..using post from yukonerdave, and one2dmax,,thanks guys,i replaced the faulty parts easily but with one issue there was a pin missing,and i could not find it,i fished for it for over two hours with multiple magnetic magyvers with no luck...i called the guy i bought the bike from and he had the problem previous to me purchasing it,,and he just replaced the pin and re-bent the tab,but he also lost a pin he couldn't find...he never told me of that issue before the purchase,,and i went ahead and put about 1200 miles,some rather aggressive,,on while his pin was lost in there..so somewhere in the bike are two segment dowel pins i cannot find,,the bike runs great no noises,shifts like it's brand new,but i'm nervous as hell,,where could they be hiding that i can't catch them with a magnet,and is there any options other than removing the engine to look further,,is it true you cant drop the pan without engine removal?? sorry so long thanks jeter

Probably stuck in the oil pump screen. Not sure i'd sweat it too much at this point.

hi, i'm a new member,recently got back into riding,,(last bike was a 900 (eliminator),,recently i crossed one off of the bucket list and bought a 94' max.
bike has 18,000 mi. and is very clean..recently i had the shifting issues and through this forum learned about the segment issue..using post from yukonerdave, and one2dmax,,thanks guys,i replaced the faulty parts easily but with one issue there was a pin missing,and i could not find it,i fished for it for over two hours with multiple magnetic magyvers with no luck...i called the guy i bought the bike from and he had the problem previous to me purchasing it,,and he just replaced the pin and re-bent the tab,but he also lost a pin he couldn't find...he never told me of that issue before the purchase,,and i went ahead and put about 1200 miles,some rather aggressive,,on while his pin was lost in there..so somewhere in the bike are two segment dowel pins i cannot find,,the bike runs great no noises,shifts like it's brand new,but i'm nervous as hell,,where could they be hiding that i can't catch them with a magnet,and is there any options other than removing the engine to look further,,is it true you cant drop the pan without engine removal?? sorry so long thanks jeter

Not true. If you remove the exhaust, you can drop the oil pan

thanks one2,,maybe i'll put a new magnetic drain plug in and get lucky...

thanks mike, good to know,maybe a winter project when i add my supertrapps

Welcome to the forum. I would drop the oil pan to look at the oil pump o-ring anyway, and while you are in there you can search for the missing pins. Good winter project for ya.

Like everyone's saying, it's most likely in the oil pickup screen. If you go in there you may have you search waayyy in there to find it. Mine was so far back it could not be seen until I popped off the screen cover.

thank you everybody,,this is a great forum for tech advice,,i think i'll sneak one or two more rides in then start my search,,,

Latest posts

Back