Self cancelling turn signals

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, thanks for the schematics.

If any one wants these schematics send me an email address and I will send you the full set of schematics. To big to post on here. I redrew them a couple of years ago from the hard to read stock set..

I asked at one point about getting them posted here.

PDF file, about 2.5 meg.

This set is for the 85-89 VMax.

Picture attached, probably can't make anything out though.

Gary

Attachments

• Vmax 1.jpg
    Vmax 1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Vmax 2.jpg
    Vmax 2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 24
  • Vmax 3.jpg
    Vmax 3.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 24
You redrew them? Wow, bet that took an hour or two!

I'd love a copy.... [email protected]

Thanks.

I applied some di-electric grease to the female side of the plug on the flasher/signal light relay and the self cancelling function began to work, but after a half dozen tries it got lazy and only worked part of the time. Got a feeling maybe some contact cleaner is next....completely eliminate the easy stuff first. :punk:

Ha! There's been sooooooo many times where I swear I turned the blinker on, and then I look down, and it'd be off. I guess now I know why!

If any one wants these schematics send me an email address and I will send you the full set of schematics. To big to post on here. I redrew them a couple of years ago from the hard to read stock set..

I'll have a set, please. [email protected]

If you send me everything you've got I'll happily host them for download.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

In an effort to fix my '86's non-cancelling turn signals I got an '85 signal relay from NHVmaxpower (thanks Wayne). Oddly, they work just like I think they should....they self cancel after 19 blinks, if moving, and don't self cancel when the bike is sitting....even if I turn them on prior to stopping they will continue to blink until the bike starts moving again....which doesn't seem to agree with the way some others work...:ummm:

Maybe that's the way the earlier models worked....the relay is way different than the one on my '96.

In an effort to fix my '86's non-cancelling turn signals I got an '85 signal relay from NHVmaxpower (thanks Wayne). Oddly, they work just like I think they should....they self cancel after 19 blinks, if moving, and don't self cancel when the bike is sitting....even if I turn them on prior to stopping they will continue to blink until the bike starts moving again....which doesn't seem to agree with the way some others work...:ummm:

Maybe that's the way the earlier models worked....the relay is way different than the one on my '96.

my 2003 always acted like you noted on the '86. it seems to be a distance or time thing whatever is greater. keep going if stopped.

my 2003 always acted like you noted on the '86. it seems to be a distance or time thing whatever is greater. keep going if stopped.

Maybe that's the way they're s'posed to work then....though some guys were saying theirs would stop blinking it they turn them on then stop the bike....Hmmm, have to see what the '96 acts like.

^ That's what my 06 does. If I flip the signal then sit in the left turn lane it will turn itself off regardless of if I am motionless. When I turn it back on it will stay until I move again.

Well, the '96 acts just like the '86, if I'm sitting with the directionals blinking (even if I turned them on before coming to a stop) they will continue to blink until I start moving again....then shut off automatically after 15 or 20 blinks.

The signals....just like the bike itself....seem to have a mind of their own! :punk:

My 2000 absolutely has self canceling turn signals.
I never pay much attention to them though because I always just turn them on before coming to a Stop and they always turn themselves off after I get too far after turning.

In an effort to fix my '86's non-cancelling turn signals I got an '85 signal relay from NHVmaxpower (thanks Wayne). Oddly, they work just like I think they should....they self cancel after 19 blinks, if moving, and don't self cancel when the bike is sitting....even if I turn them on prior to stopping they will continue to blink until the bike starts moving again.....

That is definitely the way they are supposed to work - there is a sensor in the speedo that stops the self-canceling feature while the bike is at a standstill - it makes sense as you don't want it to cancel while waiting to turn at traffic lights.

That is definitely the way they are supposed to work - there is a sensor in the speedo that stops the self-canceling feature while the bike is at a standstill - it makes sense as you don't want it to cancel while waiting to turn at traffic lights.

Kinda what I was thinking too but it appears there are several variations on how they function....some don't function at all, some shut off at red lights, etc. I'm surprised to find out so many screw up....I've had 1/2 dozen Max's and, with the exception of my '86, all the signals worked as they should....as far as I know anyhow.

It appears the 'brains' for the system are inside the signal relay as replacing that got them working again on the '86 so maybe you guys with malfunctioning systems can get them working properly with another relay.

Tell you the truth, I always thought the self cancel thing was a waste of time....that there is no way I would ever leave a signal light blinking cause I was certain I always pushed the switch in automatically after a turn. Well, much to my surprise, I've noticed I leave the signals on quite often! Besides the obvious safety factor I don't want to be that idiot driving around with one blinker on....it's just not cool!! :bang head:

That's funny - I felt the same and since replacing my relay with an electronic one to make the LED blinkers work properly, I've also found I forget to switch them off at times! Must be getting old..

Did the relay you used prevent the need for load equalizers and resistors? If so I'd be interested in the part #.

I'm fine using load equalizers, but I like the electronics to be as efficient as possible so I can add as much bullshit as I want to the bike.

I was asking naughtyG.

That's funny - I felt the same and since replacing my relay with an electronic one to make the LED blinkers work properly, I've also found I forget to switch them off at times! Must be getting old..

I wouldn't mind losing the self cancelling at all.

Did the relay you used prevent the need for load equalizers and resistors? If so I'd be interested in the part #.

I'm fine using load equalizers, but I like the electronics to be as efficient as possible so I can add as much bullshit as I want to the bike.

Yes those relays will work with any impedance bulbs/LEDs what have you. They are just an electronic timer.
You can go to any car parts shop and simply ask for a two-pole electronic flasher relay, no need for any part number.

Then, out of the connector of our OEM flasher relay, pull the brown and brown/white wires and connect them to this new relay. Done. No more cancellation, no more problems with impedance, weird blinking rates etc.

You will need to leave the OEM relay in place with all the other wires connected though, or your bike won't start.

Latest posts

Back