Selling my ZX-6R for a 1st Gen Max (maybe)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_MaXiPaD_

Reaction score
Hey everyone. This is my first post on the VMaxForum.

>>>Skip down to the arrows if you want to avoid reading my sob story lol

So, I've been buying and selling motorcycles like its going out of style. Within 4 years, I've gone through 4 bikes. I started out with a standard bike, moved onto an 05 Yamaha r6, then decided since I enjoyed cruising more than riding fast, maybe I'd give an 04 V-Star 1100 a shot. I did enjoy the V-Star for its comfort, styling, and the more muscular feel (which I like a lot more than the "ricer" feel of the sportbikes), but it didn't have as much power as I wanted, and also I often got told that I don't look like the type who would ride a cruiser, so then I got a rid of that.

After the V-Star, I decided maybe I should go back to sportbikes since they had the power I wanted and were in my price range. So this January, I purchased a 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R (636). The bike is fine for commuting to school and work (which both are about 35 min, mostly highway rides), but anything more than that, my back begins to tighten up and hands go numb. So I've decided to put my Ninja on Craigslist and I'm hoping to sell it today. If I do sell it, I want to look at some V-Max's.

>>>>I basically want to find a fast and fun bike in my price range, that also offers comfort that will allow me to ride for hours without me complaining. It seems like the V-Max would be a great option for what I want.

I've found a few options on craigslist that will be in my price range, which is under $4,500. My brother-in-law told me to come here because you guys offer a lot of help.

Here are a couple options in my area:

http://lincoln.craigslist.org/mcy/3202394802.html

http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/3273514786.html

I definitely like the one in the first link. I just don't know if I should be concerned about the 32k miles put on it. My brother-in-laws bike has 75k and still runs strong, but he knows that the previous owner took good care of the bike.

Is there anything I should look out for when I go to test ride the VMax? I read about the possible 2nd gear issues so I know to watch out for that. Is there anything else?

Thanks in advance for the help everyone!

Buy an 05 in stock form with low miles,,you will be happy. That is if you want a power cruiser that is comfy.

O

What would make the 05 model more comfortable than a 98? I plan on putting highway pegs on the bike so that I can throw my feet up when I'm on the highway. And the '98 VMax that I'm looking at on craigslist comes with a corbin seat.

Well it sounds like a max might be just what you're looking for then, if a sportbike is too "ricey" and a cruiser is too slow and not your style. It's a decently comfortable bike, the main flaw being the stock seat. Many people get their stock seat reshaped and a member here does sell an entire replacement seat as well (maxgasser), both options I've heard good things about. I had a reshaped seat from Morley's muscle and it was a notable improvement.

Plus a good running max will blow the doors off a 636, at least from 0-80 or so. This bike was built to be really fast from stoplight to stoplight....and it still is. There's a lot of power up top with still a strong lug of torque down low....kind of splits the difference from inlines that are all top end power, and v-twins that are all low end torque. You get a lot of both here.

For the bikes you posted.....
the '98 has Cobra pipes(not stock as stated), so therefore is about 15-20hp down from stock. The look cool, they sound lousy (IMO) and they rob a ton of power. 32k miles isn't awful and if the bike was well kept shouldn't be a point to scare you off. The price seems fair as well.

The '85 has an identity crisis, it thinks it's a boat. Someone put a gigantic fuel/water filter on the side of it. I guess it's practical with today's shitty gas but damn ugly to be sure. It also has drag bars, which will hurt the comfort level a bit...you'll be more hunched over to ride. It has some sort of non-stock exhaust though I can't tell what from the pictures. The price seems a little high for an '85....I'd put it more around $2500. With an '85 you also get the old ignition that's prone to failure, the awful early brakes, and smaller fork tubes.

I'd try to get a '93 or newer, that way you get all the major factory updates. Better ignition in '90, better forks/brakes in '93, there were a few transmission and case changes in the 80's also. There's no difference in comfort on any years, all have the same seat, handlebars, pegs, ect.

Yeah, my heart's pretty set on the '98. I figured that I would throw the '85 ad in there also since that's the only other option at this time for a vmax in my price range. I still need to see the bike in person though.

What would make the 05 model more comfortable than a 98? I plan on putting highway pegs on the bike so that I can throw my feet up when I'm on the highway. And the '98 VMax that I'm looking at on craigslist comes with a corbin seat.

I think a Corbin seat is ugly as hell, get a Morley Muscle seat, and an 05 is the most comfy due to it's stunning good looks, just makes you so much happier to be on it, like banging a beautiful sexy girl,,,rather than just a sexy one!:clapping:

O

Not being able to see where the lines come from, I thought that was a remote oil filter. Condition is everything. No need to be scared of miles if the bike has been maintained. A good price on an older bike w/accessories is a reason to consider purchase. There are a lot of bikes here in so FL for sale & prices tend to be a bit lower than elsewhere. You should consider holding $500 back for tires, brakes, battery & etc. for any needed maintenance. If you use the stickys and the "search" function you will see lot of used bike evaluation info. Don't be in too-much of a hurry to buy. There are always more for sale.

Not being able to see where the lines come from, I thought that was a remote oil filter. Condition is everything. No need to be scared of miles if the bike has been maintained. A good price on an older bike w/accessories is a reason to consider purchase. There are a lot of bikes here in so FL for sale & prices tend to be a bit lower than elsewhere. You should consider holding $500 back for tires, brakes, battery & etc. for any needed maintenance. If you use the stickys and the "search" function you will see lot of used bike evaluation info. Don't be in too-much of a hurry to buy. There are always more for sale.

I'm in no hurry in picking one up.. Riding season is almost over anyways, and usually winter time brings great deals on motorcycles. I have a guy coming to pick my ZX-6R up on Tuesday, and if he gives me the cash that we agreed on, I should have plenty of money for any maintenance that'll be needed. Thank you guys for your help!

Is there anywhere on this forum or on another website where I can see when there have been any upgrades or revisions between certain years?

-85 model introduced
-86 quieter exhaust, v-boost tubes got larger, and IIRC transmission revised
-87 not imported to US
-90 ignition changed from analog to digital
-93 larger fork tubes, better brakes, and IIRC 4 brush starter(instead of 2)
-98 regulator/rectifier changed from shunt to mosfet
-00/01? Transmission shift segment updated(new part fits in old bikes)

Those are the major ones. Paint and color schemes varied year to year.

Mileage on the first isn't bad, I have an 07 with 24k miles, 10k since I got it this March. The Cobra pipes I have heard chop off like 20hp... I know how ya feel about the 05 ninja, I have rode my friends 06 ZX6RR and my hands go numb after 45 minutes or so. I have Harley friends that say I'm the only jap bike they'll ride with and crotchrocket friends that say I'm the only cruiser they'll ride with. It's a perfect blend of speed and comfort IMO.

As far as better years for VMax, get 93+ for better brakes and front suspension

I've run my vmax at the 1/8 mile local track, and have got nothing but compliments from the sportbike guys.

I was a sportbike guy too, but got off them a few years ago due to I ride like a twat!! My last bike was a Honda VTR 1000. I was offered my new to me 85 Max on a trade,which my wife didn't talk me out of 'cause she liked the Max, so I took it. I like the bike. It has power,but it doesnt entice me to ride it like an arsehole. When I told my buddy about me getting the Max, he said a VMax is like an old Datsun with a hemi in it... He was pretty much right. The bike goes like hell, but turns and stops like shit LOL!

lol yeah.. sportbikes are fun, but just not for me anymore. Like you said Sonoran6, the VMax seems like a good blend of speed and comfort, and that's what I want. I don't care if it doesn't handle well. I live in an area where it's mostly straight highways and there aren't many twisty roads around here.

Anyways, I just got back from riding my brother-in-laws '89 VMax. I didn't take it very far, but I at least got to get the sense of the power and seating position. The bike sits just like my old V-Star did, although the seat height was a little higher which was fine. The power was great and seemed like it'd be plenty for me. I didn't try hitting the V-Boost but now I wish I would've lol. Overall, it just seems like the V-Max is the bike I've been trying to look for the past few years. I enjoyed every second of that ride.

I didn't get to experience what the stock VMax brakes are like. Are they really that bad? My brother-in-laws bike had a different set of front brakes, which he thinks came off of a Hayabusa. Those brakes were very touchy and seemed like they would have no issue bring that big ole hoss to a stop.

BTW, my brother-in-law said he picked up the bike from some mod on here named Mark? All I know is whoever had that bike before him definitely had to of invested quite a bit of time and money on that thing.

It doesn't handle badly per say, I've kept up with a ninja and a GSXR on some major mountain twisties. I did notice on some turns where I was really muscling around the bend, my front end wobbled causing major heart rate increase. But I was still able to do the run without being stuck catching up only in straightaways. I have never wished my bike had better brakes, they have always brought me back to 0 no matter how quickly it was needed, but with bolt on upgrades like the R1/R6 caliper I am still wanting to. Don't have the cash flow for engine mods, but personally I think its plenty fast. Check under the back fender for burnt rubber, that will clue you in to burnouts. LOL

lol yeah.. sportbikes are fun, but just not for me anymore. Like you said Sonoran6, the VMax seems like a good blend of speed and comfort, and that's what I want. I don't care if it doesn't handle well. I live in an area where it's mostly straight highways and there aren't many twisty roads around here.

Anyways, I just got back from riding my brother-in-laws '89 VMax. I didn't take it very far, but I at least got to get the sense of the power and seating position. The bike sits just like my old V-Star did, although the seat height was a little higher which was fine. The power was great and seemed like it'd be plenty for me. I didn't try hitting the V-Boost but now I wish I would've lol. Overall, it just seems like the V-Max is the bike I've been trying to look for the past few years. I enjoyed every second of that ride.

I didn't get to experience what the stock VMax brakes are like. Are they really that bad? My brother-in-laws bike had a different set of front brakes, which he thinks came off of a Hayabusa. Those brakes were very touchy and seemed like they would have no issue bring that big ole hoss to a stop.

BTW, my brother-in-law said he picked up the bike from some mod on here named Mark? All I know is whoever had that bike before him definitely had to of invested quite a bit of time and money on that thing.

sounds like maleko89. it was def a nice bike, he took care of it.

It doesn't handle badly per say, I've kept up with a ninja and a GSXR on some major mountain twisties. I did notice on some turns where I was really muscling around the bend, my front end wobbled causing major heart rate increase. But I was still able to do the run without being stuck catching up only in straightaways. I have never wished my bike had better brakes, they have always brought me back to 0 no matter how quickly it was needed, but with bolt on upgrades like the R1/R6 caliper I am still wanting to. Don't have the cash flow for engine mods, but personally I think its plenty fast. Check under the back fender for burnt rubber, that will clue you in to burnouts. LOL
You were obviously not riding with experienced sport bike riders. Coming off a VTR 1000 as a rider who was able to drag knees in the twisties, and leave quite a few other riders on pure sportbikes behind, I will tell you with 1000% percent cartainity, that in no way shape or form will a VMAX ever keep up with a sportbikes capabilities in cornering or braking. On my MAX, there is no way I would even consider thinking about trying the stuff I used to do on my VTR. Heck, my street ridden Honda XR250r will readily outhandle, and brake my MAX. The VMAX is what it is, a MUSCLE BIKE. It does what it does, and it does it well.

You were obviously not riding with experienced sport bike riders. Coming off a VTR 1000 as a rider who was able to drag knees in the twisties, and leave quite a few other riders on pure sportbikes behind, I will tell you with 1000% percent cartainity, that in no way shape or form will a VMAX ever keep up with a sportbikes capabilities in cornering or braking. On my MAX, there is no way I would even consider thinking about trying the stuff I used to do on my VTR. Heck, my street ridden Honda XR250r will readily outhandle, and brake my MAX. The VMAX is what it is, a MUSCLE BIKE. It does what it does, and it does it well.

It wasn't a race through the mountains, I'm not delusional, I know the VMax isn't a sport bike. What I was trying to convey is the fact that it handles better than it is given credit for.. its not a 900 lb lowrider chopper raked out 30degrees with a single disc front brake and drum rear. Whether exp was novice or advanced is not my point. I have been told "yeah those are fast but they can't turn" No, compared to a sportbike it can't, but it isn't a Ninja, its a cruiser.

Please remember "Go Pro Hero," that smart experienced sport bike riders take their skills to track days or the race circuit. Vigorous street riding anywhere near what is required on a closed-course in an organized event will only earn you vehicular citations, trips to the E.R., or the M.E.'s. In the interests of all of us to be around next week for road fun, exhibit your superior skills in the appropriate venue. The LEO's and fire/rescue people have enough work!

When you are skimming your knee puck on a public road, and encounter an ATF spill, a puddle of coolant from an overheated radiator, a hot tar patch just dropped by a roofing tar kettle who is 30 seconds ahead of you, you are going down! I've seen all these from riders operating much-further from the edge of traction than you claim is your ability to demonstrate on public roads.

We all feel the need for exhibitions of performance but we also know where it's best to do it, right? A couple of semesters ago, I had two riders from separate incidents in the Level 1 Trauma Center in an 8- hr. period and one was an off-duty LEO. It's $10,000 minimum charged to the patient when you cross the operating /trauma threshold and enter the room on the fire/rescue stretcher, before every stitch of clothing is cut off you, your Alpinestars boots, your one-piece leather suit, your gauntlet gloves, all cut-apart. My students got valuable experience using a bag-valve-mask or endotracheal tube and trauma assessment, and the CT scan procedures were also educational as we checked for the neuro trauma and evidence of subdural hematomas, not-to-mention multiple orthopedic injuries. The students crowded in among the five or six MD's studying the scan results after the students positioned the accident victims onto the rolling pt. surface for the trip into the machine. As the old "Twilight Zone" episode showed, where the man wandering about a deserted hospital in the dead of night stopped in-front of a basement-level door, which then opened to show a nurse with diagonally-shaped eyebrows who smiled sweetly at him, and told him, "room for one-more, honey!" (who recalls what room she came out-of?)

Prudent riders keep their skills in-check awaiting the appropriate venue in-which to demonstrate their riding prowess, and the performance of their machine. Squids don't. "Calamari, anyone?":rofl_200:

Back