Serial number question

Discussion in 'Forum issues, problems, bugs etc' started by finatic@aol.com, Sep 17, 2018.

Help Support VMAX Motorcycle Forum by donating:

1. Sep 17, 2018 #1

finatic@aol.com

finatic@aol.com

finatic@aol.com

I purchased a 1986 Vmax. The serial number tag on the bike and the tile are the same. The title says it's a 1986 and the tag on the goose neck shows a production date of 12/85. I was told that when I go to the dealer they are going to report that the serial number indicates it's a 2006. He said that Yamaha reused serial numbers. I ran the serial number through a decoder today and it indicates the serial number is 2016. Has there been this type of serial numbers on the early Vmax bikes?

2. Sep 17, 2018 #2

finatic@aol.com

finatic@aol.com

finatic@aol.com

Also was wondering if there is a way other than serial number to positivley ID the bike as an 86?

3. Sep 17, 2018 #3

MaxMidnight

MaxMidnight

MaxMidnight

The full VIN # comprises of 17 digits.

The confusion may have arisen because since 1982 there has been a standard year identifier which is the 10th digit.
    In your case a 1986 has the letter G as the year indicator.
    The sequence started again in 2010 thus the letter G also applies to a 2016 machine.

A 2006 machine would have a year indicator of 6

As for re-using serial numbers it is correct that the numeric portion is not unique, but when combined with the rest of the digits would create a unique identification.

Foe more information have a look here

4. Sep 17, 2018 #4

finatic@aol.com

finatic@aol.com

finatic@aol.com

The serial number is JYA1UR00 7 GA000168
    Thanks for your help

5. Sep 17, 2018 #5

Fire-medic

Fire-medic

Fire-medic

In my experience, anything in the area of Sept. of the year (possibly even an earlier month) or later is probably going to be a next calendar year designated model. So Dec. 1985 manufacture is a 1986. I have a 1986 which is earlier in the year than yours and it is listed as a '86, not when it was made, 1985.

You can also look at the equipment to determine the year of manufacture, I think the header pipes and the VBoost I.D. is different on the 1985.

6. Sep 17, 2018 #6

finatic@aol.com

finatic@aol.com

finatic@aol.com

Was there a low HP model in 1986. I was told that this was the 140 HP version but I do not hear the vboost noise when I turn the key on. Not equipped with vboot or not functioning?

7. Sep 19, 2018 #7

finatic@aol.com

finatic@aol.com

finatic@aol.com

UPDATE I took the tank cover off as well as the left scoop. I re-seated the 3 wire connector and turned the key on. I guess I was thinking the sound made by the servo would be louder but I was able to hear it cycle when I turn the key on. So I guess it's working now all that is left is to go play above 6000 RPM. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Max will do above that range.