serious problems after oil pump recall work

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avangel

Reaction score
:damn angry:Hi all. I have a 2010 vmax with. On friday i took it into my local dealer to have a oil pump recall performed. 2 miles down the road after leaving the dealership the engine started making some serious squealing noises then actually quit. At first it didnt start then did with the noises coming from the front part of the engine. Anyway had the dealer come and pick myself and the bike up.
Well I kinda have to believe that since they were just into the oil pump these sounds were probably from oil starvation. unbelievable, I take a perfectly excellent running motorcycle in for a recall and now they have probably destroyed my engine. On monday they will look at it.

What do yous think? Sux doesnt it.

What course of action should i take with this dealership? The damage could very well be through out the engine.

opinions? Ideas?

Last edited:
that sux. hopefully yull get a new engine instead of a repair.

:damn angry:Hi all. I have a 2010 vmax with 4500 kms. On friday i took it into my local dealer to have a oil pump recall performed. 2 miles down the road after leaving the dealership the engine started making some serious squealing noises then actually quit. At first it didnt start then did with the noises coming from the front part of the engine. Anyway had the dealer come and pick myself and the bike up.
Well I kinda have to believe that since they were just into the oil pump these sounds were probably from oil starvation. unbelievable, I take a perfectly excellent running motorcycle in for a recall and now they have probably destroyed my engine. On monday they will look at it.

What course of action should i take with this dealership? The damage could very well be through out the engine.

opinions? Ideas?

Sorry to hear about this Avangel. That really sucks.... Think you should check out the StarVMax site and re-post what you said above there in a post / thread where a couple others have experienced the same issue / problem your having. Dealers fault 100% ... one case a brand new engine was installed in the bike, another case the owner got a new bike from the dealer. Wish you the best on this.

I'd get Yamaha involved in this now. And keep documentation of everything that has happened.

I'm very sorry to hear that. There is not one documented case of an original pump failing that anybody knows of, yet there are over 1/2 dozen failures after the 'Fix". The dealer screw ups are now well documenedt on the starvmax site. Here is one of the more recent threads
http://www.starvmax.com/forum/general-vmax/164741-another-oil-pump-recall-failure

The ONLY acceptable dealer fix would be a new engine or a replacement bike. I would not settle for anything less.

This really sucks, good luck to you.

Mark

:damn angry:Hi all. I have a 2010 vmax with 4500 kms. On friday i took it into my local dealer to have a oil pump recall performed. 2 miles down the road after leaving the dealership the engine started making some serious squealing noises then actually quit. At first it didnt start then did with the noises coming from the front part of the engine. Anyway had the dealer come and pick myself and the bike up.

opinions? Ideas?

thanks for the info guys. wow this is a well documented issue. Lots of failures after the recall. I wish i had have known before.
Now over the weekend I'm finding out hat my yamaha dealer doesnt even have a licensed certified yamaha technician on staff since the dealership has changed hands a number of years ago. omg.
Tomorrow will be a very interesting day. i will keep yas all posted.
Good luck to me.

thanks for the info guys. wow this is a well documented issue. Lots of failures after the recall. I wish i had have known before.
Now over the weekend I'm finding out hat my yamaha dealer doesnt even have a licensed certified yamaha technician on staff since the dealership has changed hands a number of years ago. omg.
Tomorrow will be a very interesting day. i will keep yas all posted.
Good luck to me.

I noticed you are from Ontario. What dealership did you use?

I'm very sorry to hear that. There is not one documented case of an original pump failing that anybody knows of, yet there are over 1/2 dozen failures after the 'Fix". The dealer screw ups are now well documenedt on the starvmax site. Here is one of the more recent threads
http://www.starvmax.com/forum/general-vmax/164741-another-oil-pump-recall-failure

The ONLY acceptable dealer fix would be a new engine or a replacement bike. I would not settle for anything less.

This really sucks, good luck to you.

Mark
Bad luck indeed!! Never herd of Yamaha sending the dealership a new motor.Please try not to be angry, they will probably want to fix it. And you will just have to wate.:sad2:A new Vmax would be great. But I don't think there gonna do that because they would just fuck that one up too.:confused2: Please let us know what happens.

unfortunately you cant fix an engine that has been starved of oil. The squealing i heard was the top end going first, the damage will be all through out. The engine would need to be rebuilt from top to bottom, and if my dealer cant handle an oil pump recall then there is no chance that they will have the ability to rebuild the engine.

I dont even think they should be touching the bike with out a certified yamaha tech doing the work.

Last edited:
This is one of the main problems with buying a Gen 2 for all that money, most Metric dealers have back yard mechanics on staff and the Gen 2, at $20,000 is no backyard mechanic machine. So I just stay away, that and the fact you cannot put engine guards on the bike,,,but the lack of service is by far the main reason.

O

well just saw the engine. Broken oil pump gear!
Called yamaha canada and they said their only responsibility is to repair the engine. They said they dont have new engines period and its not an option. What a joke.
I asked the customer service rep but there will be other parts damaged. his response was well you may have a problem with it in the future you may not. Unbelievable.

Avangel,
ouch....probably their scrip "first response" to situations like this. I'd keep pushing for the new engine because there's already been presidence to do this when this happens. Hate to recommend this, but I'd also consider starting to look into getting a lawer for legal action if that's what it comes to.

Best of Luck to you and your bike.... please keep us posted on how things progress.

Avangel,
ouch....probably their scrip "first response" to situations like this. I'd keep pushing for the new engine because there's already been presidence to do this when this happens. Hate to recommend this, but I'd also consider starting to look into getting a lawer for legal action if that's what it comes to.

Best of Luck to you and your bike.... please keep us posted on how things progress.
Sorry your gen 2 turned out to be such a bag of snakes.Will your insurance cover the damage & the dealership pay your deductible?? Hopefully you won't need to take any leagle action,and they will fix it & do it right. The only company I know of that would replace a motor is Harley Davison.

Get a lawyer, fire off a letter to the dealer and Yama, and get the 5 year extended warranty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now for sure I will never purchase a Gen 2, maybe not even another Yama.

O

great news!

my dealer has come through for me and i have a new engine being shipped.:clapping:

Last edited:
thats fantastic. did you have to make a stink?

great news!

my dealer has come through for me and i have a new engine being shipped from japan.:clapping:

Great News Avangel ! I'd ask to see the engine in the crate when it arrives... get the numbers off the engine... just to make sure that engine ends up in your bike !

Hope the oil pimp upgrade was done at the factory for this engine !! :worthy:

great news!

my dealer has come through for me and i have a new engine being shipped from japan.:clapping:
Congratulations, never herd of anybody getting a new motor from Yamaha.This restores my confedence in them.Hope this means they will replace a gen2 motor or any other motor that the dealership fucks up.I'm very happy for you!!:punk::eusa_dance::clapping:..........Rusty

Latest posts

Back