Serious pucker factor this weekend...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronx

Reaction score
On a scale of 1 to 10, it was at about 17.5.

Decided to do some riding this weekend. Yesterday in St. Louis had crazy wind conditions. At first it didn't seem that bad, and I got through most of the day actually enjoying it a bit. Then as I was on my way home on a highway the crosswinds got crazy bad... like blowing me into the next lane while I was leaning and countersteering into the wind bad. Luckily the lane next to me was empty(something I did my best to ensure as much as possible) -- but holy shit I thought I was a goner. A panel truck about 60 yards ahead got blown into the next lane as well. A few semis topped over around the area due to the crazy winds. Oh yea... roads were wet from a storm that had recently came through as well.

It was the most disorienting and scary feeling I've had so far riding. Leaning and countersteering right while driving in a straight line while my bike was being blown to the left.

I often find myself enjoying riding in the crappier conditions -- rain, cold, etc. I'm not sure why but something about being in the elements has been really fun. But crazy crosswinds? Eff that noise! I'm not doing that again(if I can avoid it).

Any advice/suggestions on things to do in that sort of situation? Aside from the obvious "Stay out of that crap you silly redneck." I mean I kept the bike up, but I really went instinctive on that ride home... wasn't sure how I *should* have been riding to perhaps deal with the wind better.

Glad you made it safely home. Those can be scary moments, use a 2X-dose of detergent for the underwear for those 'reminders'.

See youtube for some Straits of Mackinac Bridge (MI) videos, very similar to what you had happen. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CCGxoVxO86Q I think this has been on here before.

Once we were going to Yellowstone from Dallas and passing thru Kansas on the roads going north through the cattle feed lots areas, we hit a storm like that. No shelter anywhere, the wind blowing west to east had nothing to slow it down in the flat plains. Blowing up to 60 mph gusts. My bike was hit by a gust while I was already leaning into the wind and the whole bike moved sideways about 2 feet. Just slid sideways. Had no time to react but made my heart skip a few beats. The rain was so hard you couldn't see very well. All my waterproof gear couldn't keep me dry. That whole day till we got halfway through Nebraska was miserable.

Once we were going to Yellowstone from Dallas and passing thru Kansas on the roads going north through the cattle feed lots areas, we hit a storm like that. No shelter anywhere, the wind blowing west to east had nothing to slow it down in the flat plains. Blowing up to 60 mph gusts. My bike was hit by a gust while I was already leaning into the wind and the whole bike moved sideways about 2 feet. Just slid sideways. Had no time to react but made my heart skip a few beats. The rain was so hard you couldn't see very well. All my waterproof gear couldn't keep me dry. That whole day till we got halfway through Nebraska was miserable.

Man just reading that caused me a little stress and exhaustion! I can only imagine how mentally and physically drained you had to be after that.

Back in 1992, I lived in Lancaster, CA. and was traveling north on the Antelope Valley Freeway to see my girlfriend up in Tehachapi; the Santa Ana winds were blowing across the freeway just past the Rosamond area, with gusts as high as 50mph. I was on my '84 Honda 700 Nighthawk "S" and like you I was leaning and countersteering to keep from being blown over. The only mistake I made was slowing down to 45mph, which just about caused me to get blown over into the shoulder. The only thing I could do was to speed up to 70 which helped me stay upright....

Yes, that can be very strenuous from the mental strain - not just the physical strain. Been there a few times lol and high winds don't seem as big a deal to me though they can still make you nervous when they get really bad.

Glad you made it home alright. There was some serious weather up in your area yesterday. If you really want some pucker factor. Try landing a small aircraft in high crosswinds! :eek:h yeah:

Up in the mountains on CA152 wind was howling and I rode from a protected area without wind into a open gust, in less than a snap of your fingers I was in the next lane didn't feel a thing just suddenly was 12 feet to the left. Just glad there was a lane to be blown in and not off the cliff. :)

Back