Setting dry float levels on the bench

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldn't it be nice if the floats were externally adjustable? Just turn a screw to raise or lower the level, leave a hose attached to verify the wet level and you'd be done! That would be too easy.

Wouldn't it be nice if the floats were externally adjustable? Just turn a screw to raise or lower the level, leave a hose attached to verify the wet level and you'd be done! That would be too easy.

ya sure make it easier, i vote for dial a jets also hahaha

Come on guys!! That's the easy way out....tell me you don't like yanking the rack and diddling around with it for hours trying to get the floats just right, or endless hours of measuring and testing to get the 'just right' jet combo?

That's why we own these 'ancient technology' machines....right? :ummm:

Or I s'pose we could punk out and....................:rofl_200::rofl_200:

Attachments

• 100_2384.jpg
    100_2384.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 70
Come on guys!! That's the easy way out....tell me you don't like yanking the rack and diddling around with it for hours trying to get the floats just right, or endless hours of measuring and testing to get the 'just right' jet combo?

That's why we own these 'ancient technology' machines....right? :ummm:

Or I s'pose we could punk out and....................:rofl_200::rofl_200:

thanks for bringing me back to reality dan, it was at a wee hour of the night i wrote that, what was i thinking......... dial a jet :bang head: how can life be simple and fast :rofl_200:

i am down to 8 mins on having the rack out, thats with coffee by my side. prob take me longer to learn how to use the dial a jet :rofl_200::rofl_200:

Well my problem besides personal (wrong forum) all four of my carbs have different seat hights (guess there was an extended saki break that day) that explains why I can't get it right using dry measure. I'm not licked yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well my problem besides personal (wrong forum) all four of my carbs have different seat hights (guess there was an extended saki break that day) that explains why I can't get it right using dry measure. I'm not licked yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl_200::rofl_200: saki break is always good but ya maybe after the last carb has been set eh :punk:

That's interesting! Have the carbs ever been opened up before, to your knowledge? How much do they differ by?

I'm sure the factory has a 'one size fits all' gauge to set these.....they aren't going to dick around with wet level verification! Hmmm, may explain why OEM wet levels are all over the board!

also wonder if they did use a gauge at the factory but had a issue as pictured where the needle seat is not at the same height as others and that would through it off no? wonder if they bench wet test the hole four rack somehow, still labor intensive and time consuming so bet your right dan-o

also wonder if they did use a gauge at the factory but had a issue as pictured where the needle seat is not at the same height as others and that would through it off no? wonder if they bench wet test the hole four rack somehow, still labor intensive and time consuming so bet your right dan-o

Also possible that the larger diameter bore didn't go deep enough and the needle seat shoulders too high in the carb body. probly their gauge is just a depth setting on the boring machine to place the shoulder properly.....usually! :biglaugh:

Don't really see the factory setting up a wet level double check, wouldn't want a bunch of gasoline around with all that saki drinking going on!! :th_drink:.............:angry flame devil:

Also possible that the larger diameter bore didn't go deep enough and the needle seat shoulders too high in the carb body. probly their gauge is just a depth setting on the boring machine to place the shoulder properly.....usually! :biglaugh:

Don't really see the factory setting up a wet level double check, wouldn't want a bunch of gasoline around with all that saki drinking going on!! :th_drink:.............:angry flame devil:

well you can saki set and your reward at the end for a good job is carb saki hahahahah:punk: then risk lowered from mixing gas and saki eh hahahah but still high danger factor with fire :bang head:

That's interesting! Have the carbs ever been opened up before, to your knowledge? How much do they differ by?

I'm sure the factory has a 'one size fits all' gauge to set these.....they aren't going to dick around with wet level verification! Hmmm, may explain why OEM wet levels are all over the board!
Carbs have never been opened (I bought her new and no one has ever touched her)I also started micin parts and discovered that the plastic spacers that go on the needles are all different sizes.

What makes complete sence now is when I drilled the air screw plugs out I found all 4 of them at different settings. Deff friday saki lunch.

thats normal in the sense they set them with a tail sniffer and max tune it for best results.

thats normal in the sense they set them with a tail sniffer and max tune it for best results.

+1 My '99 was the same way....think there's some emmission standards that have to be met also.

I'm giving the needle seat thing a lot of thought....I guess the varying depths of the seats won't make any difference in operation as long as each carb is 'wet level checked'.....the column of fuel will be constant so the fuel weights will be the same. It sure screws up any 'production line' float level setting tho....any gauge or standard measurement like the 1.125" will be out the window.

Are you going to replace the needles & seats? Sure like to know why they aren't consistent....I'm strongly suspecting that the seat counterbore depths vary. Not real difficult to fix tho.

How does the bike run, have you ever dyno'd it?

Reading this thread... I have to share...

I used to work with an old Asian dude who spoke pidgeon english.
When things were beating him I'd say "Hey, maybe you too much saki", and he'd say
"Hey, maybe you saki my dickie":rofl_200:

Reading this thread... I have to share...

I used to work with an old Asian dude who spoke pidgeon english.
When things were beating him I'd say "Hey, maybe you too much saki", and he'd say
"Hey, maybe you saki my dickie":rofl_200:

Bwahahahahahaha

regards from my tapatalking android...

The last virgin I drilled and checked had one cylinder a full turn in from the rest. It's good to log these settings in case you want to return to the YAMI settings.

mine set at the dealer 5yrs ago with a tail sniffer had the two front .5 turn in vs the back two.

Back