Setting shift segment (bike thinks 1st is 3rd gear)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yamaha_Fan

Reaction score
Long story short, I made a few mistakes while putting in a new clutch (with DD mod) and upgrading the shift segment.

The first mistake was I forgot to push the shift rod all the way to the left before tightening the nut on the shifter. I went for a test ride, shifted to 2nd, then shifted back to first, went to shift to 2nd and I was stuck in neutral. I played with the shifter and the neutral light turned off but the bike was still in neutral.

During the half mile I was pushing the bike home, I was thinking about it and realized what the problem was. Ripped the whole thing back apart, and saw that the shift segment didn't have the round finger on the small part of the star like I had installed it per the guide I read. In my mind I thought this was wrong, since the bike was in neutral (would roll without clutch pulled in), so I thought I needed to rotate the shift segment. I undid the star bit, rolled it, and put everything back together. I realize now this was probably a mistake, and the neutral light not being on should have been a clue.

Went for the next test drive, neutral was impossible to find, but the bike took off and pulled good (the new clutch with DD mod feels 100 times better). However, I could only shift up to 3rd gear, after which point attempting to shift felt like trying to upshift in 5th gear.

What I believe is wrong is that the shift segment is on the wrong pin, where it thinks I'm in 3rd gear while I'm really in 1st, and so on.

Before I tear into it again, I want to make sure I know how to set the shift segment. My thought is to roll it forward 2 clicks (Since I'm off by 2 gears, and I rolled it backwards when I messed it up). Is this correct? Will I be able to verify by the neutral light even with the clutch basket out?

Yep that's the thread I read before I did the job. I had it in neutral but it seems I lost the position between the shifter and the star.
You can turn it with your hand-all the way to the left after you have taken the shift lever off in case it moves.

I didn't see a picture of the drum in my files. Do you have the small indexing pin installed? Also, there is a longer pin that indexes the cam as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20150210_143126_026.jpg
    IMG_20150210_143126_026.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 41
I didn't see a picture of the drum in my files. Do you have the small indexing pin installed? Also, there is a longer pin that indexes the cam as well.

Yes, I installed the small indexing pin, the longer one, and the 5 that are all the same.

I took it back apart, rotated the the star forward two click so it would rest on neutral position, cycled the shifter, and was able to get 1st, neutral (light came on), and 2nd. I thought I had it. Cycled the shifter a few more times and the couldn't find neutral anymore, but I thought it was no big deal, so I buttoned everything up and fired up the bike, it wouldn't go into gear. It wouldn't crank with the kickstand down (like it was in gear), but working the shifter I couldn't get it into gear. It just rolled around in neutral.

Tore it all back apart again, pulled the shift segment and double checked all the pins were there, everything looked good. Couldn't get the neutral light to come on this time. I put it all back together anyways, but now my battery is dead. So I'm waiting for it to charge to see what I've got, but I don't have my hopes high.

This thing has got me stumped. It seems like there's only 1 way for that shift segment to go in, the fingers engage on the pins, I have no clue what the problem could be.

I took it back apart, rotated the the star forward two click so it would rest on neutral position, cycled the shifter, and was able to get 1st, neutral (light came on), and 2nd. I thought I had it. Cycled the shifter a few more times and the couldn't find neutral anymore, but I thought it was no big deal, so I buttoned everything up and fired up the bike, it wouldn't go into gear. It wouldn't crank with the kickstand down (like it was in gear), but working the shifter I couldn't get it into gear. It just rolled around in neutral.

Tore it all back apart again, pulled the shift segment and double checked all the pins were there, everything looked good. Couldn't get the neutral light to come on this time. I put it all back together anyways, but now my battery is dead. So I'm waiting for it to charge to see what I've got, but I don't have my hopes high

This thing has got me stumped. It seems like there's only 1 way for that shift segment to go in, the fingers engage on the pins, I have no clue what the problem could be.
420 cca's------You are taking the shifter off and moving that rod?
http://www.apexbattery.com/ub1220-12v-22ah-battery.html

All I can say is read word for word on daves link and I make sure it is turned to the far left for assembly.
Also make sure the segment is pressed against the back and that arm is linked in tight.

I THINK the star cam cam actually be installed backwards. Been a long time since I did that but I think it is actually possible.

I THINK the star cam cam actually be installed backwards. Been a long time since I did that but I think it is actually possible.
You can't install the star cam backwards because the two holes are a different size(small diameter rod and large diameter rod)- it is also offset from the center hole and would never line up to go back together. 16th photo down.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=10938

I'll try to check. I think if the long pin was put back into the wrong hole it could be done.

If the long pin was put in the wrong hole the star cam would not go together (flush)Sounds like he is not getting the circle on the arm in the odd shaped groove when putting it back together.

Yep, it's not possible to set the star wrong. Yesterday I pulled the star out and disassembled just to make sure. The pins make it only go in one way.

I finally got it, and still not 100% sure why I had issues some of the other times.

I got the bike to where it would roll in neutral (but the neutral light wasn't on, so I knew something was messed up).

I pulled everything back off, set the circle on the odd groove, and my neutral light was on so I figured I was on the right track.

Then I made sure to push the shift rod all the way to the left before tightening the clamp on the shifter (I think this was the mistake I made the first time I had it apart).

Everything is working great now, but the clutch cover gasket got pretty chewed up from being taken on and off so many times and I have a slight oil leak. I'm sure once I throw a new gasket in there it'll be fine.

Yep, it's not possible to set the star wrong. Yesterday I pulled the star out and disassembled just to make sure. The pins make it only go in one way.

I finally got it, and still not 100% sure why I had issues some of the other times.

I got the bike to where it would roll in neutral (but the neutral light wasn't on, so I knew something was messed up).

I pulled everything back off, set the circle on the odd groove, and my neutral light was on so I figured I was on the right track.

Then I made sure to push the shift rod all the way to the left before tightening the clamp on the shifter (I think this was the mistake I made the first time I had it apart).

Everything is working great now, but the clutch cover gasket got pretty chewed up from being taken on and off so many times and I have a slight oil leak. I'm sure once I throw a new gasket in there it'll be fine.
I did this a month ago so it was pretty fresh in my memory- try gasacinch for that leak, I still have the new gasket that I didn't use and I had a leak too-no more.

Latest posts

Back