Shelby AC Cobra #1 for sale

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Carroll Shelby's prototype Shelby AC Cobra is going to be sold, it's never been out of Shelby's ownership. The first cars were built w/the larger Ford thinwall-casting V8 which began in the early 1960's as a 221 cu.in. V8. By the time Shelby convinced Ford to sell him engines, he got access to the 260 cu.in. model.

http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/rm-sothebys-set-to-auction-first-ever-shelby-cobra/

Road & Track had a great article on the history of this car. Shelby built one, and painted it different colors when he loaned it out to the magazines for testing, to make it seem like this was one of many built. He never parted with it, and it has never been refurbished cosmetically, so it has a patina, a lot of patina! Since that is much in-demand these days in the collector car market, and this has to be considered to be one of the most-iconic cars from an enthusiast's view, it's probably going to sell for well over 7 figures (my guess is $3 million). Considering that the 427 versions of this car were selling for a bit over $7 grand when new, that's a lot of added value because of who owned it, and the fact it's the prototype from which the production series was 'hatched.'

One of my FL acquaintances owned one of the first 260 cu.in. AC Cobras which he bought for the price of a new house in the late 1970's. He and his father ran a machine shop. They disassembled it, refurbished it, and sold it for > 4X what they paid for it after a couple of years. I watched them do it.

It will be interesting to see what this never-sold prototype AC Shelby goes-for, CSX2000 is the VIN.

More info: http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/road-tests/reviews/a18114/1962-shelby-csx2000-1/ This is a great read if you like the historical perspective.

Interestingly, the original AC made in Great Britain used a Bristol engine, but as part of the WW II war reparations paid by Germany, the BMW inline-6 cyl engine production line was shipped to England, where the engine began production. It was put into the AC Ace and the Acea, which is the car that Carroll Shelby found had a wide-enough engine compartment to accept an American V-8.

546b77029e7f0_-_1962-shelby-csx2000-lg.jpg

Many years ago, around 63 or 64 I believe I was at Watkins Glen watching some racing. It was SCCA manufacturers and drivers championships. Main race was two Bob johonson's cobras and one Gurney cobra completing against can't remember what, except I do remember the lone stingray. The cobras were lapping that hard pressed vett every 7 laps. They sure got everyone's attention. In Wareham, MA is a company called Factory Five Racing. They make kit cars. They started with cobras and now make other models. One was a 1/4 mile machine with highly modded big block ford. I hung out asking question until one of the owners took me for a ride in his cobra to get rid of me. lol

I saw the Cobras, GT350's and Corvettes at Watkins Glen around then. I also saw them filming the movie Grand Prix. They used a Ford GT w/a big platform in-place of the front clip, to mount the Cinemascope camera. If you ever get a chance to see it like that, it's worth it. John Frankenheimer was the director, and he pioneered many techniques taken for granted today for cinema photography. There was a dispute over the rights to the film they shot during the Formula 1 Grand Prix practices, and they threw it all onto the cutting room floor.

Superamerica is another company doing the Cobras and they are from So. Africa. They had a dealership in Boynton Beach FL selling them here, Cobras and the Cobra GT. They had Rousch crate engines lined-up in the shop waiting to drop into customers' cars. I had to do fire inspections there, that stop took 'a bit longer' than usual.

Incredible history in this car. I have always been a Carrol Shelby fan. My first car was a '83.5 Dodge Shelby Charger with a 2.2 liter power plant. I always wanted to drive a Cobra but it has never been in the cards. Shelby pioneered many performance cars for Ford and yes even Mopar. The car to be auctioned is a true historic icon and if it could talk ....well, we would definitely hear some great bench racing tales! Thanks for sharing.:clapping:

I find it interesting they used it for a track car when teaching aspiring racers at Bob Bondurant's driving school. It certainly has a provenance! Very few vehicles gain any value due to who has owned it previously, or who has driven it, unless it was a competition car that won a big race. Sure the seller can ask $$$ because some rock & roller owned it, or a president (what-ever!) but the marketplace doesn't reward that type of ownership, at least among savvy buyers.

Now if you had a Billy Bike or Captain America's Bike (Easy Rider) or James Dean's L'il Bastard Porsche 550 [all of those have been stolen], there would be added value there, because they are cultural icons. Nelson Rockefeller's Cadillac Fleetwood 75 might be a cool possession, but it really doesn't add to the value. Sellers can ask the sky. Even Steve McQueen's stuff isn't getting sold at asking prices, and who's more of a man's man than McQueen?

Back