Shell Rotella changes its oil

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxinID

Reaction score
I have noticed that Shell Rotella T 5w-40, is now replaced with Shell Rotella T6 5w-40.

discuss............

Ive been using the 15/40 w it and change every 2k so i think its appears to be all good with synthetic blend. JIM

Isn't Rotella for diesel engines? Didn't know people here ran it in their bikes, though I guess I can't see any reason why not.

Wow...changing every 2k miles? I don't even think about it until at least 5k, and if it's not dirty I leave it alone. I check the level and top up as necessary, but otherwise forget it. One of my friends said it's "cheap insurance", but I informed him that he spends a lot more on oil changes in a season than I do for my full coverage bike insurance, so it's really not that cheap.

Call me cheap, but I just absolutely hate wasting anything, and throwing out perfectly good motor oil is definetly on that list. Fully synthetic oils now realistically never degrade, and they just get dirty over time from stuff too small for the filter to catch. So until they get dirty, IMO there's zero reason to change it. I seem to remember Amsoil or one of those companies running a tractor trailer for a half million miles with no oil changes and just some super filter array, there's videos about it on youtube somehwere, proving how long theirs oils lasted. 2500 miles on the oil in my Max now and it's barely darker than new, still a rich tan. Won't be touching that for a while.

My Magna was pushing 6000 miles on a load of 10-40 conventional, and it still wasn't all that dirty, a dark tan color. Though I figured the little mill's 7000RPM highway speed probably took a toll on the oil after that long, and I love my little Magna.

I am running the Rotella in my Max and seem to work very well. The tranny shifts like a dream. I am also from the school of "it is cheap insurance" as I change mine every 1500-2000 miles.

Change the oil in my bike once a year....I drain it into a clean container, then run it in my lawnmower!

I am running the Rotella in my Max and seem to work very well. The tranny shifts like a dream. I am also from the school of "it is cheap insurance" as I change mine every 1500-2000 miles.

Same here....every 2K, oil & filter. Save the used oil for chainsaw bar oil or to start brush fires when my environmentalist wife isn't looking!! :rofl_200:

Same here....every 2K, oil & filter. Save the used oil for chainsaw bar oil or to start brush fires when my environmentalist wife isn't looking!! :rofl_200:
ooo Dan better not let her see how we get bon fires going at my place then, we'll let the image of the pretty maple trees distract her while "Fire in the hole" is heard :punk:
been using rotella in lots of stuff especially in the vmax, great oil. its got (besides race oils) a zinc content as the emissions requirement are different for diesel's so great for older motors, bikes or cars. even if your running a gm vehicle like 99 or older the current oils i think is "Sh" grade which is different then older motors require so rotella is a good choice or long life(not high milage) from penzoil(made by shell/rotella). Now that rotella got the 5w40 syn with the same zinc content great for the yukon winters in my truck. you should try it in your bike 15w40 gonna like it for sure, if thats too think they do have a 10w30 also in rotella triple T

i just run the yamaha recommended oil, i change it in spring, mid summer, and before i park it in winter

The reason we run the Rotella is due to its higher zinc content. Now we're seeing a reduction of zinc but it's still there and still a great oil for motorcycles.

I'll run it in the spring.

Oh and I have roughly 300 miles on my last oil change... lol Bad season...

Chris

I have never used the rotella 5w-40 synthetic. I have been running the 15-40 dino oil.

Has anyone had any issues at all with clutch slip using the rotella synthetic?? I have read that a lot of guys have issues with the synth oils and clutches so I've stayed away.

I have never used the rotella 5w-40 synthetic. I have been running the 15-40 dino oil.

Has anyone had any issues at all with clutch slip using the rotella synthetic?? I have read that a lot of guys have issues with the synth oils and clutches so I've stayed away.

Oh shit!! I screwed up, I run the 15w40 dino also....sorry! :worthy:

The 5W40 isn't a "true" synthetic... It's a group IV super pure dino with synthetic stabilizers.

I have had ZERO issues with slippage.

Chris

thought the T5 was a syn blend and the T6 was a syn? anyways running 15w40 and seems to run wicked in the bike. ya they have dropped the zinc content but like others said better then the alternative. there are zinc additives but real hard to find, almost impossible up here. GM discontinued theirs and other companies selling it as break-in oil. if anyone knows a place that sells ZPPD thats the stuff. they wont ship to CDN cause its oil in the mail, its just a small bottle a few oz.

thought the T5 was a syn blend and the T6 was a syn? anyways running 15w40 and seems to run wicked in the bike. ya they have dropped the zinc content but like others said better then the alternative. there are zinc additives but real hard to find, almost impossible up here. GM discontinued theirs and other companies selling it as break-in oil. if anyone knows a place that sells ZPPD thats the stuff. they wont ship to CDN cause its oil in the mail, its just a small bottle a few oz.

http://www.eastwood.com/underhood-e...ode=ga150080&gclid=CKWCvpb49J8CFag65Qod7UzAdQ

Is this the stuff???

Latest posts

Back