Shift In Liberal Gun Control Efforts

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
Progressive efforts to take firearms from the hands of law-abiding citizens may be rounding a corner in the arms race of government overreach. A new report from ProPublica and The New York Times suggests gun control advocates may be turning their attention away from the failed narrative against intimidating-looking assault weapons, raising the specter of a new menace to take their place: handguns.
Using data that’s been available anytime they cared to look, the reporters stumbled across this well-known fact:
“It turns out that big, scary military rifles don’t kill the vast majority of the 11,000 Americans murdered with guns each year. Little handguns do.”
Whoa, dude.
Read far enough, and the article gets around to acknowledging the inconvenient truth that homicides in which guns were used have declined steadily and dramatically over the past 20 years. But the authors don’t pair that information with another significant fact: Americans – already ahead of other developed nations in per-capita gun ownership – are buying more and more guns, even as the so-called “gun murder” rate has declined.
The article’s one observation that merits much more attention from the left is this:
“Annually, 5,000 to 6,000 black men are murdered with guns. Black men amount to only 6 percent of the population. Yet of the 30 Americans on average shot to death each day, half are black males.
“…Even as homicide rates have held steady or declined for most Americans over the last decade, for black men the rate has sometimes risen. But it took a handful of mass shootings in 2012 to put gun control back on Congress’s agenda.”
Oh, so there’s a political component to this whole gun control thing? An insincere, dishonest one – one that ignores cultural problems that progressive policies (policies that have nothing to do with guns) have only fomented and exacerbated?
The authors didn’t say that. But it’s between every line of the progressive gun control agenda.:confused2:

I used to read the yearly justice department crime report before the justice department was run by a muslim.

Handguns are involved in only a small portion of gun crimes such as robbery.

The problems are illegally sawed off rifles and shotguns. They normally accounted for more than 80 % of armed robberies and other armed assaults.

Handguns are simply not a big problem.

Guns which are modified in illegal ways to begin with, thus making their mere possession illegal, are the problem Lets pass a law against guns that are already illegal.

Darwin award for all liberals. We must stop them from breeding.

Would you two guys please lay off with the facts. They don't fit the narrative that the progressives are trying to tell. When they are forced to actually use facts, they need to be very selective about which ones, and more importantly which parts of which ones can be spun to tell their tale.

Come on, it's not about lowering crime or "saving the children" it is about gun control, or more specifically CONTROL

I do apologize. I lost focus there for a second and said something stupid and politically incorrect.

I assure you I do support the current administrations valiant efforts to reduce the EVIL EMPIRE (The United States) To something that collapses under it's own weight in order to make the world safe from colonialism and insure peace through world wide poverty.

You know....I'm thinking about moving away from the South...it seems like every redneck has 15 handguns...and a gun rack in their pick ups. I need to move somewhere safe...where the gun laws will protect me...some place like Chicago...:rofl_200:

In both Jr High and High School, I can remember guys bringing their brand new guns to school to show off what they got, whether it was for a birthday gift, Christmas gift, etc... No one panicked. NO one called 911. No one was suspended. No one got called to the principal's office. No big deal.

NOOOO, I went to the south side of Chicago once. You don't wanna go there without a lot of backup and a lot of firepower. The gun laws insure that everyone has a gun. Since only criminals have guns and everyone in Chicago is a criminal.

The only time I will ever want a gun is when I need a gun. So therefore I will always have a gun in case I need a gun .

Agreed, only carry what you might need. That's why I cut my dick off years ago so as to have more room to carry my 1911 in a DEA holster that puts my gun right where my dick used to be.

But I left my balls. I use those a lot.

Agreed, only carry what you might need. That's why I cut my dick off years ago so as to have more room to carry my 1911 in a DEA holster that puts my gun right where my dick used to be.

But I left my balls. I use those a lot.

Balls are good. Balls are great.

Handguns are involved in only a small portion of gun crimes such as robbery.

The problems are illegally sawed off rifles and shotguns. They normally accounted for more than 80 % of armed robberies and other armed assaults.

Handguns are simply not a big problem.

So where do you get this info?

The FBI statistics, or anyone's else's, for distribution of crimes across what type of gun have not changed any significant degree in a very long while, including well before this administration was in office.

Handguns DO account for the significant majority of gun crimes, and ALWAYS have ever since any statistical date was kept on this subject.

It's a simple matter of portability and concealability

You know....I'm thinking about moving away from the South...it seems like every redneck has 15 handguns...and a gun rack in their pick ups. I need to move somewhere safe...where the gun laws will protect me...some place like Chicago...:rofl_200:
Or the good old Common Wealth of Massachusetts. Where two of our D legislators just voted to turn our right to be armed over to the United Nations. The bill was defeated, but not by enough. Chicago has us beat, but crime is still rampant here.

Or the good old Common Wealth of Massachusetts. Where two of our D legislators just voted to turn our right to be armed over to the United Nations.

And by D you mean dooshbags...right Steve...:bang head:

Cant wait till we elect another rubber stamp dooshbag for a governor...to go along with all the other criminals on beacon hill...:damn angry:

I've had enough of this state...thinking of moving to FL . :punk:

So where do you get this info?

The FBI statistics, or anyone's else's, for distribution of crimes across what type of gun have not changed any significant degree in a very long while, including well before this administration was in office.

Handguns DO account for the significant majority of gun crimes, and ALWAYS have ever since any statistical date was kept on this subject.

It's a simple matter of portability and concealability

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/crimestats
http://www.bjs.gov/

I think you have to pay for these books...I used to have to.

Again things change but here are the places to get the info.

But again this is probably accurate information so will be inadmissible in this argument.

Thanks!

Facts are cool.... Tin foil hats are not

I oppose the UN treaty on general "anti-meddling" principle though.

ON the subject of tin foil hats.

Take your cell phone and wrap it about 4 layers of aluminum foil. Then call it from another phone. It will go right to voice mail. All microwaves are blocked.

Don't laugh at people who wear tin foil hats.

ON the subject of tin foil hats.

Take your cell phone and wrap it about 4 layers of aluminum foil. Then call it from another phone. It will go right to voice mail. All microwaves are blocked.

Don't laugh at people who wear tin foil hats.

Haha!

That was funny. Seriously!

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/crimestats
http://www.bjs.gov/

I think you have to pay for these books...I used to have to.

Again things change but here are the places to get the info.

But again this is probably accurate information so will be inadmissible in this argument.

Not books, that's a link to a home page of those two agencies. The homepage. A specific link to the report you claim supports your case would be interesting.

I've seen the actual reports on these websites, you don't have to pay for them.

I drilled down through the links you provided and CLEARLY handguns account for the HUGE PREPONDERANCE of gun crime.

Not sure what the hell you read on those websites to came up with Rifles and shotguns being ahead of handguns in crime usage.

Shotguns and rifles have never even come close to outpacing handguns in gun crime....Ever.

I'm on an iPhone and can't provide a link with tap talk ( or don't know how) but if you google "gun crime by weapon type" the top hits will take you RIGHT back to the FBI and BJS websites with the specific reports that clearly show any sort of "not a hand gun" to be WAY down on the list of weapons used in gun crime.

Latest posts

Back