shift style

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmp123

Reaction score
my kz won't shift if there is pressure on lever before clutch is pulled. I read that a vmax needs a couple pounds of pressure, before pulling clutch ???

Not that I know of But I reversed my shift pattern so I go up into 1st then down to 2nd, 3rd 4th and 5th.

Mine shifts smoother and more quickly if the shift foot lever is slightly pre loaded...no doubt about it.

I'v also owned and ridden off road toys that won't shift until the lever is free.

Thanks, how do u reverse the pattern ? I will try to preload, maybe the kz technique is causing poor shifts

Here are the instructions.

Attachments

• V4 - I1 winter 2000 poor mans stage 7 (1).pdf
    352.9 KB · Views: 29
I clutch into 2nd knowing its a potential area of concern and for other gears I just feather enough clutch to unload the gears a little. Im going to switch to Rotella and see if it shifts easy enouh to shift w/o clutch but I dont like to bang the gears. My sprint shifted nicely with throttle and road speed only, at least in the last 4 gears. Depends on the bike and how fast I need to go. If I short shoft the max I can do it smoothly w/o clutch but its easy to miss one.

My bike shifts great. The clutch lever is way out to engage/disengage. I just pull it in maybe an inch when I'm banging gears. Changing to a ss line and gonna change the fluid. I want to see if it engages with the lever a little further in. Not really familiar with hydraulic clutches. I know it's solid because the Bridgestone would spin leaving lights and the new Shinko just picks the front end right up.

Seen the pdf after I posted, please ignore me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seen the pdf after I posted, please ignore me
Just to make it easier:
Reverse Shift Pattern - (The "MASON MOD")
by Don Mason, Jan. '00

1 up 4 down.

This mod will allow for faster and more precise up shifts.
COST: under $10.00
TIME: under 2 hrs.
DIFFICULTY LEVEL: 3 out of 10

HOW TO:

1. Remove the left foot peg bracket.
2. Take note of position of shift pedal.
3. Loosen lock nuts on shift rod (linkage), top one is left hand thread.
4. Remove the shift rod (linkage).
5. Cut about 3/8" off of each end of the shift rod (linkage). A Dremel tool works well.
6. Remove pinch bolt on (splined) shift lever assembly.
7. Pull splined shift lever off of shaft and rotate it CCW to about half way between the 9:00 and 10:00 position + or - to your liking. Re-install splined lever and pinch bolt.
8. Re-install shift rod (linkage) between shift pedal and shift lever. Adjust shift pedal close to original position.
9. Install foot peg with forward bolt only so peg bracket can swing up and down.
10. Lift peg bracket up close to shift lever and mark bracket for clearance.
11. Remove bracket and cut just enough metal to clear all shift apparatus. (Dremel tool works well)
12. Touch up cut area with paint.
13. Re-install peg and bracket when dry.
14. Adjust shift pedal to your liking and tighten lock nuts.

Attachments

• Vmax-Reverse-Shift-Pattern.jpg
    Vmax-Reverse-Shift-Pattern.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Vmax-Reverse-Shift-Pattern-2.jpg
    Vmax-Reverse-Shift-Pattern-2.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Vmax-Reverse-Shift-Pattern-3.jpg
    Vmax-Reverse-Shift-Pattern-3.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 15
I would like to change shift pedal to a round one, my foot is getting hung up on the square one. Is there a easy cheap way ?

Back