Shifter broke off

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaleDeth

Reaction score
On my way home last night (midnightish) I noticed that when I shifted to first the shifter seemed to go down farther than I remembered. Didn't think much of it at the time. Next I notice that when I shift the shifter would act accordingly. If I shifted up the shifter would stay up threw each gear. (get higher). I thought it was loose or stripping around the shaft, then I remembered that it used linkage and all ideas went out the window.

Then it happened, I tried to down shift and the shifter just went down down down, like \ down. I pulled it back up and it didn't grab anything it just moved easily. Now mind you, I'm stuck in fifth gear, it's midnight, I'm still 15 miles from home, there are 3 more stop lights, two turn offs (90 deg turns), one 60 mph onto 45 mph, and one 45 mph onto a 25 mph. Well after the first turn I figured I was close enough to home to try to make it down shift. Yeah it went down to 3rd, and the shifter was now twisted upward, figured that was close enough to putt home. I was like wtf is going on here. When I got it in the garage I saw it. The part that has the shaft that the shifter pivots on broke up by the bottom bolt.

I took pic's on my damn phone and video cam and cant get either to upload to pc. Cause there is actually a funny there.

Re: Shifter borke off

FML spelt broke wrong and cant edit title ... I can tell its going to be a nice day at work today

Thank God that you made it home ok. Hopefully, this will not be an expensive fix.

I would hate to not be able to get down into first gear. At least in first, you would be able to take off from any stops a lot easier.

Shift Segment is likely what has failed. it's a common issue and easily fixed.

Well i just looked up the part (part# 1FK-18128-00-00 BRACKET) and damn thing is 56 bucks. :ummm: at the local shop. I seen some priced in the 30's online Think I'll keep my eye out and take this time to change the steering bearings.

Shift Segment is likely what has failed. it's a common issue and easily fixed.

Where this is a common issue, is there an aftermarket source for a piece that would be more durable? If there is, I think I would want to order it and replace beforehand just to make sure it is that much less likely to happen to me.

Well i just looked up the part (part# 1FK-18128-00-00 BRACKET) and damn thing is 56 bucks. :ummm: at the local shop. I seen some priced in the 30's online Think I'll keep my eye out and take this time to change the steering bearings.
I have seen a few of these break. I have some laying around here I could sell for about half of new price plus shipping.

Where this is a common issue, is there an aftermarket source for a piece that would be more durable? If there is, I think I would want to order it and replace beforehand just to make sure it is that much less likely to happen to me.
Sean & Paledeth are talking about 2 completely diffrent parts. The one Sean is talking about is prone to breaking on the older bikes if yours is an 03 you should be ok.

If you do replace the bearings, grind a pair of 180-degree opposed half-moons in the inner surface of the steering head surface, so you can get-to the outer race easier to knock it out "the-next-time." If you keep the bike and land hard after a bunch of wheelies, don't worry, there will be a "next-time."

If you do replace the bearings, grind a pair of 180-degree opposed half-moons in the inner surface of the steering head surface, so you can get-to the outer race easier to knock it out "the-next-time." If you keep the bike and land hard after a bunch of wheelies, don't worry, there will be a "next-time."

I have been really hesitant to fix the bearing, for several reasons, procrastination mostly though. I do like the wheelies!!!

I have seen a few of these break. I have some laying around here I could sell for about half of new price plus shipping.

I might just get one of them, I'll let you know in the next couple of days. Think I'll just weld it and see how that works. A good bead and a grind and it should be ok. The cheapest route I guess.

Back