Shifter fell off.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josephjhaney

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I got my awesome 85 max today! Love her! Rode her home, on the way, I'm shifting along, and look down, the shifter is hanging from the linkage, apparently the bushing that goes on the shifter mount fell off. My wife was in front of me, so we used some hair ties (Yes, hair ties) to just keep it in place while I rode the next 150 plus miles home. I'm looking all over creation, and can't seem to find the part I need. Can someone tell me the proper search term to try? :)

Joe

"How do I make my VMax shed parts like a Harley?":rofl_200:

Better re-torque all your fasteners! Take a look at a shop manual online on the forum to see what parts are called by the factory.

Hmm, it's the actual shifter lever, where it hooks onto the frame, the part that actually does the shifting is fine, where the linkage attaches, but the shift lever itself seems to be missing a bushing (it's very loose on the frame) and a clip on the end to hold it in place.

He had switched it to reverse the shifting, so maybe he used a different shifter as well. I'll have to look and see if I can make it work the way it is with some good old mix in match. :)

Picture of the situation?

The plot thickens. He moved the pegs back, the shifter mount does not appear to be stock anymore, and the new pegs are mounted to what appear to be crudely fabracated welded mounts to the frame. I have to say, I LOVED the riding position, he put shorter bars on, and moved the pegs back, so it's a little more forward riding position, which ends up being far more comfortable. I have the measurements for the bushing so we will see if I can find the parts at the local car parts store.

I learned the hard way to never set myself up by bringing home a bike by riding it instead of trailering it. I prefer to go through the bike first in the driveway, change all my own fluids and filters, visual check, test tug on everything. I slowly ride farther and farther from home as I get more confident in the bikes fitness.
I did not always have a bike trailer but incidents like this motivated me to make the investment in one.

Great looking bike. Pics close up on the peg/shifter on each side. Looks like a great mod for a mid/rear set conversion.

Ugh, ok now I have the bike, and it will go into first, but it's like the clutch isn't engagning far enough, the bike wants to walk forward. It's been a long time since I've worked with any of this, could this just be a fluid issue, and what type would I be looking for, and where other than the reservoir on the bars?

Try bleeding the clutch which will most likely be a temporary fix as I'll bet my left nut that the slave seal is failing.
A seal kit is available, I've had this happen on both bikes.

Back