Shifter seal and bolt next to it????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnelly317

Reaction score
How hard is it to change the shifter seal I do have a chaindrive so that rear cover above shifter just pops off nothing but bearing behind it ( not sure if the shaft drive had oil in there) and then is it just a rubber lip seal I can work out with a pick??
Also while I was at thunder I looked at dennis' s and there was a bolt in the hole next to shifter seal. Whats this for? I do not have a bolt there just a threaded hole thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

How do you know for sure seal is leaking? Is there an oil spot on the ground the next day? I see a single drop clinging to the seal area but no spot on ground. Just wondering if oil is from seal or something else.

Last year there was spots on ground wrapped my exhaust and now my bike stinks the oil is soaking into the exhaust wrap I'm almost positive its the shifter or the open hole next to it. Ill be doing more research before I replace it but I'm 80% sure

I get a bit of oil dripping from around that area, was 90% sure it was from the alternator cover gasket. all the cables and shift lever are damp but it only leaves a small drip mark on the ground when I park (the reason I know it's not my shifter is because I changed that seal last year when I had the motor apart)

I took off the cover to replace the seals in the clutch slave and now I'm 100% sure, the rubber seal where the wires run into the alternator was leaking (very slowly)
I cleaned everything up as much as I cared to and dabed the area the wires run into the case with some gasket sealant - fingers croseed I got mine

Oil behind that cover will spread around and give you a false idea of where it is coming from, be sure to check everything

Cleaned off the area of shifter seal and open hole next to it. Let the bike run a bit and shifted a bunch while sitting in one place but didn't have a lot of time. No oil yet

I'm in on this thread, too. I have drips on the cross/connector pipe. It only starts smoking when I rev it to about 3k, though. It'll idle all day and just have a little drop below the shift shaft seal. It looks like there might be some grit around it or something. Can I just blow around it with compressed air without pushing anything where it's not supposed to go? I have drips on the neutral switch, on that cross pipe, a drip that lives on the left side of the frame (when parked on the side stand), and a couple of oil pan bolt heads fill up.

I wouldn't blow it "into" the seal. Doesnt look that hard to change. Screw a couple small screws in it and pull it out with some pliers. Slide the new one down and tap it in? I talked to pcw. Found out my leak more than likely is my spocket output seal coming out of the hole in front of shifter. He gave me a temp fix till I feel like spending the money to have my engine split..... um yea don't feel like doing that hahaha

Back