Shim Buckets Won't Turn

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxman99

Reaction score
Doing a valve adjustment on my '99 and ran across a bit of a problem.

On one cylinder, the intake valve buckets won't turn by hand. They seem to be turning when I rotate the engine, but won't if I try to turn them with a screwdriver. All the rest of the cylinders the buckets turn in their bores easily. What could be causing this? There's plenty of clearance between the cam lobe and the shims.

Anybody else run across this?
Mike

Can you reach it with a strong pen magnet? Sometimes those buggers snap in the bore. Whether that is a shim that has a tiny dimensional variance, a burr or the bore a touch tight.
I think this is addressed in Damon F's assembly video.

What "snaps in the bore"?
This kept me up all night. Let me tell you exactly what happened. I have one of Sean's kits and, as luck would have it, the tool in the kit is well worn and misshapen (I've since ordered a new tool, what I should've done in the first place). The buckets were turning just fine until after I attempted using this tool to push the buckets down to get the shims out. No luck since the tool wouldn't stay on the camshaft properly, would spin and cock, etc. Is it possible that since the tool was not pushing down on the buckets, that it pushed down on the head casting in-between the buckets and distorted the casting so that the bucket bores are no longer round?
Mike

Spray the bucket with PB Blaster to loosen up some "grunge". Rotate the bucket back and forth until it loosens. Repeat until satisfied. Hold the tool in place with one hand while slightly rotating until tool "grabs". This will keep tool centered. Once you are comfortable with all bucket positions for removal of shim...recheck and start over. Patience and use a magnet

The shim will on occasion snap or click on top of the bucket but I am trying to think what you want the bucket to spin or rotate in their bores for? Is it just because the others spin? Are you on the intake side or exhaust side? Not sure if exhaust side would gum up any more.
Rotating the crank is the only thing I can think of to get them to move or free up some but the lube idea can't hurt.
Personally I have never seen a worn out bucket but I suppose its possible.

The shim will on occasion snap or click on top of the bucket but I am trying to think what you want the bucket to spin or rotate in their bores for? Is it just because the others spin? Are you on the intake side or exhaust side? Not sure if exhaust side would gum up any more.
Rotating the crank is the only thing I can think of to get them to move or free up some but the lube idea can't hurt.
Personally I have never seen a worn out bucket but I suppose its possible.
Patmax, the buckets have to turn to prevent wear. Also, they have to turn to put the slot in a position to end up in a good spot to lift out the shim once the camshaft is spun with the tool in place to press down the buckets. I've got some paper towels in place now to soak up all the oil sitting in the top of the head so that I can see what's going on. I suspect some bits of metal from the damaged tool I got with the shim kit may have gotten into the bucket bores. New tool on order and should be here by the weekend. I'll use the new tool to push the buckets down, then shoot some compressed air to clean out the bore. Hopefully, that will correct the problem.
Mike

Latest posts

Back