Shindy (Daytona) Steering Damper Review

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
So I wanted to give a review of the Shindy steering damper now that I have about 1500 miles on the bike with it. Now I know there is some debate on these, so it is purely my opinion.

Installation:

Time: 2 hours, most being fine tuning the fitment.

Installation is pretty straightforward. First you mount the fork clamp and then the frame clamp. Getting the fork clamp on tight enough so it doesn't move but loose enough where the fine adjustments are there can be annoying but not difficult. When putting on the first frame clamp i snapped the upper bracket. Didn't realize it actually until i was just about done (more on the return process below). Second time i put everything together i tightened it all to about 60-70 in lbs using my in lb torque wrench. seems to be more than enough.

Instructions are somewhat vague but easy enough to follow. not the best english but what do you expect?

Some of the dimensions listed are a little off and there is no way to get it to work right using everything they list. i had to modify the distance that the clamp that goes on the damper body was from the end, but it was about 35mm so not that far off.

Once you get the two clamps on the damper just bolts right in. once again, takes a bit of playing, especially on this part. mainly because here is where you test and make sure the stoppers on the steering stem are stopping the forks, not the damper. Two sets of hands and eyes helps one to watch the stop one to watch the damper.

Also at this point, i'd re-mount the left scoop to check clearances.

Once everything is clear, tighten it to 60-70 in lbs

NOTE: you do have to cut a bit out of the left neck cover. i had a spare so i mangled that one up pretty good and once i decided i was keeping the damper, cut my good one. dremel made pretty quick work of it.

Also, I have a tboost/vboost switch and it wasn't in the way at all . the damper frame clamp sits very close to the faux cover.

Use:

There are 7 settings on the damper and it is easily changable on the fly. Unfortunately I don't think the lower 4 are all that helpful. I didn't even notice the damper when i went out at first and had it on the lowest setting.

Once riding for a bit i've found for normal driving I like it on the second from the highest setting. before, about 30% of the time if i let go in 2/3 gear from 55 mph it would go into a wobble. Now thats down to probably 5% and only if i hit something in the road or really nudge the bars.

On the highest setting, not even a hard punch to the bars sways it. This also makes u completely loose control at lower speeds. Definitely nice for the long higway jounts, but please remember to turn it down when you pull into a rest station. You look like its your 2nd day on the bike otherwise, as you have to keep overcorrecting your slow speed turns.

On the highway, when going over bumps or uneven pavement, especially when the bike wasn't perpendicular it would kind of jump for a split second. that mostly gone on the second highest setting. and only felt it once on the highest, but it was a very rough road.

I plan, soon, to un-attach the damper from the fork mount and do the bounce test and to keep doing so. I have removed the rubber washer and put a welding ring (cheap washer hah) between the top nut and lock tabbed nut thing. Doing the bounce test will ensure that I keep ontop of the steering head bearing tightness.

OVERALL:

PROs:
-Stopped most of wobble
-Easily adjustable on the fly
-Cheaper than most options
-I think it looks cool (opinion)

CONs:
-Easy to forget you are on the highest setting. no way to visually tell
-Broke frame clamp pretty easily on first clamp
-Still an accessory thats in the $200 - $250 range

Bottom line:
If you have checked and rechecked your bearings and all other possible things, this might help with the wobble. Would I do it again? YES.

Additional Thoughts:
There are two different models. One for the 41mm forks and one for the 43mm forks. I have attached pictures (not all my bike) and the instructions for anyone interested.

Where to buy:
Targa Acc - $205 - $240:
I bought from here. I got a retroactive price because i had been communicating with them months ago. I paid $205 with shipping. Awesome customer service. I broke the frame mount and called them. They split the cost of overnighting me the package (so it cost me $6) from Cali, and just had to place a hold on my CC as i was getting the new part before i sent back the bad one. Dealt with "Robert". He was top notch.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/V-Ma...0791747QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I JUST LOOKD AND ARE HAVING 20% off sale on the later model. As far as I know they don't carry the earlier model version.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/V-Ma...8774086QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Python Motorsports - $220:
http://www.pythonmotorsports.com/vmax/vmax_products/stabalizer85shindy.htm
http://www.pythonmotorsports.com/vmax/vmax_products/stabalizer93shindy.htm

Ebay - $210:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SHIN...temZ330330352080QQptZLHQ5fDefaultDomainQ5f100

Also saw them in a Dennis Kirk magazine once and can probably get from most parts unlimited dealers

I will update this for any edits or changes as well as time goes on.

Attachments

• targadamperinstructions.zip
    68.6 KB · Views: 22
  • SSPX0425.jpg
    SSPX0425.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 213
  • SSPX0426.jpg
    SSPX0426.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 233
  • shindy1.jpg
    shindy1.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 248
  • shindy2.jpg
    shindy2.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 206
  • shindy3.jpg
    shindy3.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
I found a really cheap alternative from a knock off company I plan on trying when I have a few bucks lying around.About $50 on Ebay,universal little deal that Im willing to test for quality so nobody else has to.I found this pic a while back,I was planning on mounting mine similiarly.

Attachments

• 100_0989.jpg
    100_0989.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 179
Too bad only hyperpro dampers have a front mount for the max.
Personally i don't like much having it mounted on the side so visible.
Bad thing hyperpro are almost twice the price :(
Maybe one day ....

Excellent write up Garrett. This should be an example of how write ups should be submitted.
icon14.gif

thanks guys.

hey ace, shindy sells the fork braces by themselves as well if thats a route u wanted to try.

as far as the center mount, it looks like the frame brace would be kind of a pain to make, i don't have any easy access or cheap access to fabricators so i couldn't do that, but the idea crossed my mind.

Ya great review Garrett - job well done. I thought long and hard about getting a steering damper, and the Shindy price isn't bad, but I really don't like the side mount.
I love the way the Hyperpro looks, and I believe it's a quality item, I just don't have $500 to drop on it..

i hear ya. the side mount is definitely an opinion thing!

Dude, somebody vandalized your bike and drilled a shitload of holes in the "Y" on your airbox!

I thought you had one of seans jet kits and his airbox lid?

Additional Thoughts:
There are two different models. One for the 41mm forks and one for the 43mm forks. I have attached pictures (not all my bike) and the instructions for anyone interested.

I thought mike was busting my balls. the last 3 pics are from python or somewhere.

Great write up Garrett! Had thought about one of those dampers, but found out that they don't fit with the USD front end:bang head: HyperPro someday when I am rich instead of so damn good looking:biglaugh:

Yep, would need the 52mm clamps for my forks. Figured they would have one for it. I think these are the same guys I got my Nissin clutch master cylinder from. Need to find out about an adapter for the clutch safety switch, currently running without one.

PS: Guess I should have checked out their site more closely, they have the switch adapter and other replacement parts....woot, just added to my favorites so I can order it up over the winter!!!!

Last edited:
nice. u thinking of going shindy and a 52mm clamp or gonna save for hyperpro?

Kind of a toss up right now. The HyperPro is one sick piece of equipment, but I am trying (for the first time I might add) to be a bit penny wise these days. Need to keep my costs reasonable right now and yet I do know that I need a damper. As Toxic is 6" over she tends to turn in very hard at low speeds and wants to fall over instead of turning, has done it successfully once this year and tried multiple times. The Shindy looks fairly good and if it works well enough and I can get rebuild parts etc. fairly reasonably and at a decent price it might be worth looking that way. I do need the clutch switch adapter and will probably buy a rebuild kit for the master (the rubber boot on mine is torn so it is just a matter of time before it leaks) just to give me more to do this winter LOL.

Will make up my mind and figure out what I want to do shortly I guess. Heck Christmas is coming up so maybe Jodi can buy me one:eusa_dance:

you could always get 2 shindy's. that'd really tighten up the front end.

overrated, esp on a vmax. haha but at least that'd bring symmetry eh?

anyways if u need any more info on 'em, just holler.

Back