Shinko tires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxrom

Reaction score
Hy,
i would like to try Shinko tire this Summer for price and reliability
i have stock wheels
i go a little larger
180 / 70 / 15

It looks like the; SR777 is the one
Is it the good one for weight and speed rate

Any sugestion

Regards :punk:

I have 170/80/15 rated 149mph on rear and 120/90/18 on front and I hope it goes just as fast.:rofl_200:

I HIGHLY suggest NOT going with the 180/70. BUT, if you are talking about the 170/80 then no problems at all!

Got my Shinko's in Dec. Now waiting for spring to have some fun with em. :eusa_dance:

Shinko 230 Tour Master Blackwall 120/90V1 Front
Shinko 230 Tour Master Blackwall 170/80V-15 Rear

I put a 170 Tourmaster on my 94 this season and have had no issues.

Just wanted to throw my 0.02 in regarding Shinko

After being frustrated by constantly replacing Michelin Pilot Powers every 3500 miles on my Buell I discovered Shinko Ravens. A pair of them costs less than one rear Michelin and they go 10,000+ miles. SLIGHTLY less sticky and a bit heavier, but to be honest the Michelins I was using were only light because they came with no tread!

To make a long story short I'm a Shinko fan. Excellent value. :punk:

Shinko fan here as well, I ran the Tourmasters 230's and now on radials I'm running the Verge 011's and they have worked well. In my experience both tires grip well, wet or dry, but the radials allow the bike to turn so much easier than the bias setup. It makes the Vmax so much easier to ride fast, maybe not faster but that is on me I guess.

Nothing but 777s on my GS. Got 7500 miles out of my last set (of course that bikes a little lighter and less powerful than the Max). Great sticky tire and the price is right! I like the Avon Cobras on my Max, but I'd bet the 777s perform just as good.

I've got Tourmasters on my '85 Max. 170 rear, 120 front. They work great, and seem to last a lot longer than the Dunlops I previously used. I have a new Tourmaster on the front of the Roadstar, and am going to replace the rear tire before spring gets here. I've been using the 734 in 160 width. I am considering that tire again, or a Tourmaster in 150 width. The cost difference is negligible, the Tourmaster is $15.00 cheaper. I have had good results with the 734, but am liking the idea of a matched set of Tourmasters on the Roadie. Stock size on the '02 Roadie is 150, but the 160 size 734 fits fine, and looks a bit better under the rear fender. Yamaha should have put a larger tire on the rear of the Roadstar, or designed the bike to make fitting something like a 180 or 200 size feasible.. Got a bit of thinking to do over the next week, as I'm going to order the tire when my first Social Security payment goes into my checking account. Did I mention that I'm retiring in 165 days??? Not that I'm counting, but July 13 is gonna to be a great day for sure!

What makes the Shinko's so affordable? I'm looking at replacing my Metzeler ME880 and the cost difference is huge!

Also, does anyone know if I'll get a bit more swing arm clearance with a Shinko 170 than a Metzeler?

What makes the Shinko's so affordable? I'm looking at replacing my Metzeler ME880 and the cost difference is huge!

Also, does anyone know if I'll get a bit more swing arm clearance with a Shinko 170 than a Metzeler?

The shinkos are a softer tire. On average I got about 4000 miles out of a rear. I had a 170 on the rear with no issues.

I just put a Shinko Tourmaster 170 on the back of mine with no issues as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard that there may be balance issues, meaning, adding more weight than necessary. I balance my own race tires on my R1s, and with race tires, I rarely use any more than an ounce or less, so, has anyone had problems of adding more than 2 to 3 blocks of square sticky weights or the clamp ons?

I didn't even bother to balance the Shinko tires I put on my Buell. They were just fine at 130mph. The Vmax tires have a lot more sidewall so they might not be so easy. Shinko's, in my experience, don't lack in quality. They're just cheap.

well, if you do not have any shaking, wobble, or vibration, that's good, Ive spunned tires where they never needed weight as well. But again, with race rubber, it does chge the dynamics of the tire, and rolls off more rubber than normal, being race rubber, that's why I bring all my balance shit to the track when competing. The Vmax rims are heavy fuckers and the typical tires for it are fat too. So much for lining up the Dot on the valve stem! Ive heard that the Shinko tours are a soft compound, hence the sticky word thrown out there, sticky to me is race rubber! So damn sticky, you can press your finger prints in the foot print!

My 3 rear Shinko rear tires needed about the same amount (1/2-3/4 oz.) of that is on my current rear tire, a Bridgestone Exedra Max which used 3/4 oz.
The Exedra Max is a pretty good tire and sticks fairly well but the Shinko TM 230 definitely sticks better.

I may get a set for my Max, sticky street tire huh? To me, sticky is rocks, debris, stuck in the soft contours of the tire, like what I have on my D211's when racing, coming from the trk to the pits, all sorts of shit sticking to it..

Latest posts

Back