Shipping from China

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tothemax93

Reaction score
I've been thinking of ordering some things from China. The shipping cost is listed, but then they state that there may be customs processing and additional charges. I don't want to get burned by some suprise fee. Anybody have experience with shipping from China, good or bad?

I've been thinking of ordering some things from China. The shipping cost is listed, but then they state that there may be customs processing and additional charges. I don't want to get burned by some suprise fee. Anybody have experience with shipping from China, good or bad?

I ordered some "wavy" rotors from China , rearsets from Japan and various parts from the UK. So far I haven't gotten hit with any additional customs charges. It is possible though. The carrier such as FedEx wouldl contact you for payment of the additional charges. I think most of this small stuff kind of comes in under the radar.

I ordered some "wavy" rotors from China , rearsets from Japan and various parts from the UK. So far I haven't gotten hit with any additional customs charges. It is possible though. The carrier such as FedEx wouldl contact you for payment of the additional charges. I think most of this small stuff kind of comes in under the radar.

Careful there. Obviously my advice is a "case by case" grain of salt, but one should consider hitting up the vendors for reimbursing you for these kinds of on-the-spot charges. I bought something off Ebay and the usps guy wanted COD because the vendor some how short-changed them on shipping. According to the usps guy, this sort of practice occurs often, even though the buyer fulfilled the shipping charges placed on him/her by the seller. In my case the vendor didn't give it a second thought and reimbursed me on my word.

...or support one of the VMF vendors and order the part through them. They are a major part of keeping the forum running! :punk:

+1

I've gotten my rotors, LED voltmeter from China, Muffler from the UK and wasn't dinged by any additional charges.

...or support one of the VMF vendors and order the part through them. They are a major part of keeping the forum running! :punk:
+1 The monkeys biteing me kind of hard. How does he know I got my tax refund:confused2:. I'm supporting a few of those guys too:eusa_dance:

Might be different in different countries, but I haven't had anything like that happen to me here in Oz.
Usually that's a general disclaimer, meaning that they don't know what every country is like.
Theoretically in Oz, if it's over $1000 it should have tax on it.
If it was sent to a corrupt type of country like Thailand, there may be bribes put in place by the locals etc. Once again, usually big ticket items.

I have had parcels not arrive from both China and US, and on all occasions the sellers were happy to help.

It really depends on the country. Here you pay taxes as long at it exceeds 30 usd. 1000$ i would enjoy this lol.
China shipping is fine as long as the seller is reputable.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I got chinese rotors and a few other small things sent to the US - all arrived fine and no xtra charge. I guess a good seller + low value is the tricks. I think rotors were 2 or 300 bucks' worth.

Thanks for the Input. The sellers are all top rated, so I'll give it a shot.:eusa_dance:

i've bought tons of phone chargers thru hong kong (they're usually $1 with free shipping, not sure how they make any money) and it takes a week or two but i've yet to have aproblem.

also ordered the cheapo adjustable levers for my fjr masters from over there, once again no problems.

I love those $1 shipped china items. I've gotten several ipod cables, a phone charger, little electronics stuff that would probably cost $30 if I went to the apple store. They all worked fine and usually came fairly quick also....within a week despite the "standard shipping" being listed at like 2-3 weeks.

If they weren't making money they wouldn't be selling, so it must be one of those low-margin ultra-high-volume deals. Shipping costs 70c, the cable costs a quarter, they pocket a nickle but sell a thousand a day. Just shows the markup on stuff like cables and electronics "accessories".

I got chinese rotors and a few other small things sent to the US - all arrived fine and no xtra charge. I guess a good seller + low value is the tricks. I think rotors were 2 or 300 bucks' worth.
+1, the seller I used is Toby Huang.

I love those $1 shipped china items. I've gotten several ipod cables, a phone charger, little electronics stuff that would probably cost $30 if I went to the apple store.

I agree, At the time, the volt meter I'm putting into the new instrument pod was under $10 and free shipping. I found similar around town and in catalogs that were $25+

Attachments

• P1030516.jpg
    P1030516.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Volt Meter.jpg
    Volt Meter.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 8
I'm pretty sure I saw that exact meter, was thinking about putting it on my bike. Problem is it's next to impossible to have an accurate voltmeter on my bike since the harness is so lossy. I have 14.4 across the battery, but only about 12.5 coming out of the key switch, 12ish at the headlight, and down to 10ish at the blinker relay. I have a Kuraykyn(?) led voltmeter that I put on tapping it off headlight power and it never got to the green, which annoyed me so I took it off again.

My Max has by far the most lossy wiring of any machine I've ever dealt with. The voltage is so low the blinkers don't work right if it's idling(down to 13 at the battery, or less than 9 at the blinker relay). Pisses me off, and there's nothing I can really do about it short of replacing the main + wire to the ignition and the switch, which from what I can see are responsible for most of the losses.

It really depends on the country. Here you pay taxes as long at it exceeds 30 usd. 1000$ i would enjoy this lol.
China shipping is fine as long as the seller is reputable.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

What's funny here now is that one of the major electrical stores has set up an online shop (in Ireland I think) so you can buy TV's and computers tax free! Anything less than $1000 is legit! :biglaugh:

I'm pretty sure I saw that exact meter, was thinking about putting it on my bike. Problem is it's next to impossible to have an accurate voltmeter on my bike since the harness is so lossy. I have 14.4 across the battery, but only about 12.5 coming out of the key switch, 12ish at the headlight, and down to 10ish at the blinker relay. I have a Kuraykyn(?) led voltmeter that I put on tapping it off headlight power and it never got to the green, which annoyed me so I took it off again.

My Max has by far the most lossy wiring of any machine I've ever dealt with. The voltage is so low the blinkers don't work right if it's idling(down to 13 at the battery, or less than 9 at the blinker relay). Pisses me off, and there's nothing I can really do about it short of replacing the main + wire to the ignition and the switch, which from what I can see are responsible for most of the losses.

I hate wiring issues. I had a few on one of my old XS'. I ended up taking the harness off, cutting it open and laying it out on the garage floor. Then I spent the next week with a few spools of wire rebuilding the hole thing. It will be a purple sun and the pope will tongue kiss Ernest Borgnine before I do that again. It is a great little meter though, I'll have it all mounted up by next weekend. I got caught up in school work to get it finished. I hear ya about your meter, If it wasn't hitting the green, I wouldn't want to see it either. When I first put on my temp gauge, I used the stock sending unit. It pegged out the meter. I left it that way for about a week, I couldn't stand it any longer. So I took the manifold off and tapped it, then installed the proper sending unit. I was going to wait for a three day weekend to do it, but I couldn't look at the damn thing any longer.

I've had lots of fun with boat wiring. Ratty-ass old boats some dolt buys and then brings to us to fix thinking he'll save lots of money by doing this. Usually it was a "project" boat the original owner realized was a waste of time, put it on craigslist, and now Sap #2 just dumps it at the boatyard to get fixed, so now it's my problem. The joke's on him when he gets the bill for 10hrs of labor and $200 of materials.

Ended up pretty much re-wiring the damn things, the existing wiring was usually such a rats nest of splices, crimps, and old accessory add-ons it's impossible to figure out what's what. I hate wiring like this, or more generally I hate fixing things that are absolute tubs of shit and will never be anything but, so Johnny Dipshit can have a working tach on his ancient Johnson with points, because he's really concerned about propping his stupid ass tri-hull properly for maximum performance. That's like fussing over tire compound for a Pinto. It's going to be slow and shitty and unreliable no matter what you do, but customers don't like to hear that.

It's why I've just kind of put up with the blinker problem, I don't want to tear into the Max's wiring, and the problem is distributed through the whole harness, it's not just one spot I can fix. Like you said I'd end up redoing the whole damn thing before it worked right and that's just not happening.

hey guys how long did toby haung's rotors take to get to you? lists possibly over a month delivery time right now....

Back