shock lenths

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn kloker

Reaction score
I have my front end lowered 2".I have a set of 11 1/2" struts for my wheelie bars.I rode with them and I feel that it is too low for on the street.Then I put 13" stock shocks back on and it seems to handle well.
Will it be unstable at high speed?I have had it up to 120mph already and it felt good.I am afraid it might give me a high speed tank slapper at 140-150mph with the extra weight on the forks Does anybody have experience with this? Thanks,Shawn

Everything I've read from the list says that there isn't enough forward weight for the front end, so running stock length shocks would probably give you the best handling. When i get new back shocks, I'm going to get stock length.

Buster Hymen said:
Everything I've read from the list says that there isn't enough forward weight for the front end, so running stock length shocks would probably give you the best handling. When i get new back shocks, I'm going to get stock length.

I second that, stock length shocks are the way to go and Works themselves do not recommend any shock lowering because they had complaints from fellow maxers that insisted on lowering and now regret it.
Max needs to be left stock height in the rear and lowered at the front.

Last edited:
I agree too. I've got my bike lowered in front and 11.5" shocks with 17" wheels front and rear and I have to be careful making tight turns or I will drag the front section of the exhaust. I'll be going with 13" shocks when I get ready to spend the $$.

i lowered the front 2 inches and m going to locate a 12 inch shock. the 13 inch doesnt make the ibike appear to be level. and the 11.5 inch is too low. so ill probably have to buy HD shocks or have a pair custom made which i hate to see the bill on..

We've been running for a long time bikes with 11.5" shocks and 2" lower with no problems. Taller rears will help reduce rake angle and actually help quiken the steering up a bit.

Later,
Sean Morley

I'm running 11.5's in back and 2" lower in front and it handles ok to me.
If I didn't have rear sets I'd might be draggin pegs in the twisties maybe.
I've never grounded out an exhaust pipe.

I bought 12.5" progressive 412's for my max and 11" for my wifes fazer.My radials are alot smaller in diameter so I didn't want to go too low in the back.I also lowered the front 2" with lowering blocks and racetech springs.

98Max said:
i lowered the front 2 inches and m going to locate a 12 inch shock. the 13 inch doesnt make the ibike appear to be level. and the 11.5 inch is too low. so ill probably have to buy HD shocks or have a pair custom made which i hate to see the bill on..

Shawn, You've seen Kevins bike. It is lowered the cheap way. Drop the forks in the tripple (stock front springs even) and 11.5" cheap progressives on back. He's got the 17" rear radial which is shorter and he has no problems runing the straights or the curves. Of course he ran with us a bit at Thunder so you have an idea what I'm talking about.

most people never ride the bike to 50% of it's potential and those that can will be able to do things to it that don't necessarily make it handle any better and still be able to keep up with the bulk of the crowd.

Sean Morley

I agree too. I've got my bike lowered in front and 11.5" shocks with 17" wheels front and rear and I have to be careful making tight turns or I will drag the front section of the exhaust. I'll be going with 13" shocks when I get ready to spend the $$.

The dragging of exhaust pipes in corners has stopped since I've replaced my 180/55-17 rear tire with a more sensible 160/70-17. I won't need to change shocks afterall.

Update 3/20/07. I took a high speed sweeping turn today pretty darn fast... all the way until the front end high speed wobblestarted. No dragging of hard parts, so I don't think I'll ever have a problem with the 11.5" shocks as long as I have the 160/70-17 rear tire.

Last edited:
Back