Shopping around for a VMAX

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrocZ

Reaction score
I've wanted one for a long time so I have sold one of my bikes and now I'm looking around for one. I have a few questions. First, what do you guys consider "High" miles. I've been seeing alot with 40K and claim they're still running strong. Even a few with 50K and 60K. Is 40K not to bad for a VMAX? Also, any tips or suggestions on what to look for when I'm looking in person at these bikes? I know about the 85's tranny problems, but anything else. Right now I'm looking at 1993's and above. I haven't been able to find anything bad about these bikes other than the 85's. I ran across this bike, he says it's a 93, but It appears to be an 85 (wheels, forks, front calipers). I think I might go look at it this weekend and look at the VIN and see what the 10th digit is.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yama...0649348062QQptZUSQ5fmotorcycles#ht_500wt_1067

Oh, by the way, this site rocks!

Lance

Was the forks, calipers, and rotors a mid-year switch? Just curious. I agree, I don't mind the looks of the older wheels either.

Can't go by just miles Lance. I'd say a vmax with 35k- 50k that was ridin and well maintained would be fine.What mods were done and by who?Take someone with you to test ride that know's vmax's and how they should be.
I had 12k on the clock when I got mine, but it was 15-16 yrs old. The carbs had to be rebuilt. Tires were junk, cracked and oem-dunlops. Brakes weren't adaquate because of early model calipers. Clutch was slipping under load-had mobil one fully synthetic oil. Vboast didn't work-servo motor stuck.Clutch and brake masters were junk. Not being ridden or taken care of properly was the key.I'm still glad I bought it. The price was right and I knew I'd be able to work on it myself. Still, I wish I had one of the guys here with me when I test rode it.Welcome to the forum Lance. I'll keep my eyes peeled for ya.
Steve-o

Thanks steve. I have 1 buddy that has owned one so I'll take him along whenever I go look at one. Thanks for the info.

Was the forks, calipers, and rotors a mid-year switch? Just curious. I agree, I don't mind the looks of the older wheels either.

No. '93 should have the larger forks, rotors, and calipers. I see that bike does not. It has forks from a 85-92 bike. Maybe it was in a wreck and someone changed the front end out? Or maybe someone doesn't know what year their bike is?

And Dave (SpecOps) is right about the spin on oil filter.

It has the older speedometer, the one with the "55" highlighted in red, too. I'm not sure when they changed it, 2002? It's hard for me to see the oil filter. It could be a spin on but it has a wierd shape to it.

It has the older speedometer, the one with the "55" highlighted in red, too. I'm not sure when they changed it, 2002?

My '01 has the 55 highlighted in red, so you are probably right about the 2002 being the new speedo face.

We've got an excellent running 94 up for sale. We shouldn't even be all that far from you.

Sean

Well, I ended up buying one. It's a 2003 with 16K miles. Only mods were drag bars, grips, mirrors, and vmax reservoir covers. Got all the stock controls with it. All I can say right now is that I love it. Had to tighten the neck bearings just a tad but thats all Ive done to it. I did a poker run last weekend and I had more compliments on my vmax than my buddy did with his sharp looking HD Road King. "Dude, what year is that, I haven't seen one of those since the late 80's". "Well, if there was a door prize for the fastest bike, your bike would make it an easy decision." and "I'll trade you bikes to the next stop". Well, anyways, thanks to this site and giving me some info on these bikes that helped me get what I wanted. Oh, heres some pics.

Attachments

• IMAG0116-1.jpg
    IMAG0116-1.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMAG0120.jpg
    IMAG0120.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 13
Congrats on your purchase!!!! Now beware the Mod Monkey because a slick looking stock bike is irresisitible to them!! Like Mod Monkey crack!!!

Latest posts

Back