Shotgun killed my Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plum-Numb

Reaction score
Performed the shotgun yesterday and followed the instructions to the letter. After I buttoned it up, no start. It is not even trying to fire. I have spark and I have fuel. What gives?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

It might need just long start, try to drain carbs and try to start again.. Put ignition on without trying to start so many times that you cant hear fuel pump clicking anymore, then start.

Is your battery voltage right? If you cranked it a lot, you might have drained your battery just enough to keep it from starting.

What DOES come on when you turn the key and flip the switch to run?

The dead bike in question is a 2003. The battery is at 95% and the starter is spinning strong. All of the dash lights and headlight are bright and normal and the servo is cycling as normal when the kill switch is toggled to "RUN". I pulled the fuel feed hose from the carb T and the fuel pump is pumping fuel with the key on.

Sounds like battery is not the problem.

Are the A/F screws back in to where they were when you started? Airbox on tight? Can you make a video? Mr. Max has a point. You're going to have to run the fuel pump a bunch of times for it to actually fill the bowls. If it's still clicking each time, they're not full.

The idle mixture screws along with their springs, washers and O rings were returned to their original positions. backed out 1.75 turns.

I gotta say, the whole reason to do the shotgun is to clean out stuff that's floating around in your bowls waiting to clog your pilot jets again. I'd drain them. Are you starting it with the choke on? It really shouldn't start from cold if the choke is closed. That would mean you're running rich.

It started as normal 5 minutes before I began the procedure. I drive up a small ramp in order to more easily get it up on the center stand. I've tried it with choke, without choke, 1/2 choke.... I'm going to choke myself next.

Don't do that. Is the side stand down by chance? Is it in gear? That'll make you pull your hair out.

Hmmmm. Make a phone video, put it up on youtube, and post a link here. Someone will be able to spot the problem.

Clutch pulled in anyway? Did you pull the plugs and ground them to check for spark (I can't remember)? Fuses all good including main fuse in little square block under the seat? There's no reason any of those would have blown, but might as well check.

Did you use the written instructions from lvlhead or the video that's on here?

Normally every one sets their A/F mixture screws at 2 1/2 turns out and works from there. I would drain the bowls thru a coffee filter to see what kind of contaminates comes out. That may give you an idea of what the internals of the carbs are subjected to. If it doesn't start with a bit of choking, you may want to pull a plug immediately to se if its wet or dry. If it's dry no fuel is getting thru to that cylinder if it's wet it could be simply flooded. What was your initial problem to begin with ?

I did the shotgun yesterday night....my screws are at 3 turns out....and I had to choke it to get it started the first time.

Did you use WD-40 on the slides? The could have gotten stuck open.

You still have large amount of carb cleaner in carbs when you are done with the shotgun, it may need long time cranking before it starts because of that. I'd drain the carbs now and then try to start bike again (before starting fill carbs with fresh fuel turning key on/off so long that fuel pump don't click no more).

It runs! Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Spent the last half hour this way.....

Key on
Wait 30 seconds
Crank the starter while slowly adding choke
At half choke it would sputter..... then .... nothing
At full choke it would sputter..... then .... nothing
Repeat

After 15 cycles of the above procedure, success.

The reason for implementing the shotgun was that off-idle hesitation for the last 2 years and within the last week a huge dead spot between 5500 & 6000 rpm.

The test ride was successful, both ailments seem to have abated... for now.

Thanks again everyone, cheers.

Awsome!!...............Glad ya got it running right!!............The good folks here are an outstanding bunch!!............Tom.

The dead spot went away too. I ran it up to 7500 twice once it reached full operating temp. So far so good.

It has 36 K on the clock so I know a complete tear down of the carbs would no doubt do much good but I think I'll do that over the winter.

I am definitely getting a fuel injected mount some day.

Cheers,
PN

Latest posts

Back