Shotgun method question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elimax

Reaction score
Hi folks:

I have a question re. LVLHEAD'S shotgun method carb cleaning:

He mentions "cleaning the slide diaphragms with WD40"...when he says that, does that mean to wipe them down with WD40-soaked rag, or to just spray them with WD40

I'm concerned that my bike doesn't start because I re-installed these slide diaphragms last time when they were wet with WD40, and that's why the bike won't start now (the bike DID start just fine BEFORE I did the shotgun.)

Thanks very much.

Elimax

I usually lightly spray both sides of the diaphragms and let them drip dry for a few seconds - no problem so far and I've shot the gun a few times!

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Dannymax: The starter motor turns, but after about 7 seconds, the battery is too spent to turn it over any more. So, I jumped from my other bike's battery (with the other bike running) but my bike's starter motor STILL dies after 7-8 seconds.

I know I have fuel, and all the fuses are cool, and I've checked one cylinder for spark (I'll check the others) and it was sparking, so I have NO FRICKIN' idea why it's not igniting.

Should I jump from the car, while shooting carb cleaner down the carbs to get the damn thing igniting? I am at a loss as to what's up here.

Thanks again, guys.

Elimax

try putting a little gas in each plug hole (using a syringe) then start it, maybe something got a little stuck in the carbs and it might start breathing again.

If not, you might have disturbed some electrics so double-check all your connections!

what did you first do to the carbs, take them right off or just pull slides out?? ya jumping it with a car or booster might help, they need to turn over fast to start.

Thanks for the prompt replies!

Here are the answers:

1) I WILL try the gas in the plug holes.

2) I pulled off the airbox, then removed the slides, then did the whole carb cleaner/compressed air shotgun method, then reassembled. The carbs weren't removed from the bike, though.

3) I don't know if the starter motor is original or not (I bought the bike used, and that part wasn't noted.) Is there a thread here for a rebuild? Or is there just a better starter motor out there?

Also, would a bad starter motor have this problem of gradually slowing down when I start the bike, a condition that would also indicate a crummy battery? (Keep in mind, this IS an almost brand-new Odyssey 680 battery, though.)

Thanks again!

Elimax

Thanks for the prompt replies!

Here are the answers:

1) I WILL try the gas in the plug holes.

2) I pulled off the airbox, then removed the slides, then did the whole carb cleaner/compressed air shotgun method, then reassembled. The carbs weren't removed from the bike, though.

3) I don't know if the starter motor is original or not (I bought the bike used, and that part wasn't noted.) Is there a thread here for a rebuild? Or is there just a better starter motor out there?

To answer your question, yes, a bad starter will act just like a poor battery.....being as you have a PC680 I really wouldn't suspect this is a battery problem.

Also, would a bad starter motor have this problem of gradually slowing down when I start the bike, a condition that would also indicate a crummy battery? (Keep in mind, this IS an almost brand-new Odyssey 680 battery, though.)

Thanks again!

Elimax

I had an '85 I bought 2nd hand w/26K on the clock,that did this same thing. Replaced the battery, went over the charging system, etc. (done as a dealer warranty) everything seemed fine but the hot starting continued to be a problem. That was 'back in the day' but I now believe it was the starter.

There are posts on here about rebuilding the starter, not sure the exact thread name but if you poke around I'm sure you'll find it.

Maybe contact Morley and see what you can work out with him?

Hey folks:

Got her started. I used our car (I ran the car for a few minutes, then revved it a bunch to make sure the battery was at full charge), shut the car off, attached jumper cables, and the bike started.

I put a little bit of gas in each cylinder. She took about 9 seconds of cranking, but, by God, she finally started.

Thank you all for the help! As they say in the hood, you "rock the bells!"

Elimax

Oui, oui!

Vous etes Quebecois? Merveilleux! Je suis de Vermont (pres du Quebec), mais mon francais tres horrible, n'est-ce pas?

Merci beaucoup.

Elimax

tabarnaque un notre cest magnifique. Mon franglais n'est pas bonne no plus mais je parle pas mal. Your in arizona or vermont now?
if your hanging around the east coast gotta make the brownie run chez Danno's this year.

Nope...not in VT now. I've had enough winter (FOREVER)! In Arizona for last 6 years.

Summers suck (around 110 degrees are the highs here) but this month (February) daytime highs are in the mid- to high 60's. Pretty awesome, huh?

I can ride all year round, and there are some amazing rides to the northeast and northwest within Arizona (hilly, really winding roads that challenge the bejeepers out of a VMax rider.)

I've ridden the whole US (not including Alaska and Hawaii) and it's some of the best riding I've found.

Elimax

cool man, that's sweet you can ride all year around. Im definitely getting the shakes from a lack of driving the max. spring better come soon or i don't know what i'll do.
couple winters ago i ended up locking my buddies in the garage with about 2ft of room with my car and bikes and ended up doing a few long burnouts in there just cause i could hahahah. smoke lasted a few hours since i didn't have or open any doors hahahhaha marks still on the ground and little on walls. cant stop laughing thinking about it.

Latest posts

Back