Should I check the valves at my mileage?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvvette97

Reaction score
My max just turned 20k and as far as I know the valves have never been adjusted. It seems to run like always. Something I have noticed since I bought the bike at 12k miles is that it has always had a slight pop about 3000RPMs. I have always heard it with the kerker 4 into 1 exhaust. Once past that RPM it's just fine and runs super. To me it almost sounds like a lean pop. But if it is in need of a valve adjustment then I will do that. Also who makes a shim kit for my bike? I would like to have a kit so I have everything I need. I just adjusted valves on a 700 maxim X and it was a pain since I had to just buy the shims seperate. It had these little pencil eraser sized shims that slide over the valve stem. Is the vmax the same way?

My max just turned 20k and as far as I know the valves have never been adjusted. It seems to run like always. Something I have noticed since I bought the bike at 12k miles is that it has always had a slight pop about 3000RPMs. I have always heard it with the kerker 4 into 1 exhaust. Once past that RPM it's just fine and runs super. To me it almost sounds like a lean pop. But if it is in need of a valve adjustment then I will do that. Also who makes a shim kit for my bike? I would like to have a kit so I have everythingI need. I just adjusted valves on a 700 maxim X and it was a pain since I had to just buy the shims seperate. It had these little pencil eraser sized shims that slide over the valve stem. Is the vmax the same way?

Max shimms snap into the buckets.I believe them to be 25mm. Tight valves can and will cause a pop that you mentioned,along with many other things,like intake leaks. At 23k I found mine in need of adjustment. I've seen kits on line. Will they have everythin you need? Not sure.I belive Sean could get you want and has a kit that circulates around. I'd see where your at and what shims you need. I always find a couple that can swap from one to another. The OEM tool is something I would recommend along with valve cver gaskets. There are threads here to read re valve adjustment.After you do a valve adjustment you'll know what shims you'll need in the future.
Hope this answers your question.
Steve-o

any idea where I can buy that valve tool? So with the tool do I still need to pull the cams out to get the shims?

Steve-o is right, tight valves can and will cause a pop that you mentioned,along with many other things,like intake leaks. Valve adjustments, or checks on clearance is always a good thing. It may not solve the popping problem but you will have peace of mind that your valve clearances is right. A tight valve will usually turn into a burnt valve, then you will have some top end tear down which can be a Pain in the butt and a bit expensive. After valve clearances are checked and corrected/verified, and still have the pop, you can dismiss valve clearance as the problem and move onto something else which may factor in causing the pop.

Max shimms snap into the buckets.I believe them to be 25mm. Tight valves can and will cause a pop that you mentioned,along with many other things,like intake leaks. At 23k I found mine in need of adjustment. I've seen kits on line. Will they have everythin you need? Not sure.I belive Sean could get you want and has a kit that circulates around. I'd see where your at and what shims you need. I always find a couple that can swap from one to another. The OEM tool is something I would recommend along with valve cver gaskets. There are threads here to read re valve adjustment.After you do a valve adjustment you'll know what shims you'll need in the future.
Hope this answers your question.
Steve-o

I just pulled the rear valve cover off to check the valves. The exhaust are all good but 2 of the intakes are at .003-.004. I would think that would be on the tight side. I haven't checked the front two cylinders yet.

well the vmax is running better than it has in years. All the valves were tight. After setting all the valves and a carb sync it runs so smooth and no more popping. I think it needed it for a long time. Oh and a huge thanks to Sean for letting me use his kit.:th_image003:

Brian, if you need the kit shoot me an email and we'll have it shipped directly to you.

Sean

I'm at 15k and got the bike when it had 11k, had some popping issues and loss of power at 4500-5k but that cleared up, still pops every now and then, do i need valve adjustment and carb sync (or any other carb work) done?

Back