Should I have a cotter pin here?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stalzie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was looking around my bike and noticed an open hole near the rear shock mount. Should I have a cotter pin in the hole slot shown in the attached picture?

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• 358B78AE-9F44-481B-A54E-33463F2C687A.jpeg
    358B78AE-9F44-481B-A54E-33463F2C687A.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 43
Hi everyone,

I was looking around my bike and noticed an open hole near the rear shock mount. Should I have a cotter pin in the hole slot shown in the attached picture?

Thank you for your help.
I use that hole when removing the axle. insert a screwdriver and work it back and forth while pulling.
later, bill

+1. No cotter pin goes there

Late model gen 1 has a self locking nut, early model has a castellated nut and cotter pin

The axle is shorter for the self-locking nut models, longer for the castellated nut using a cotter pin. I use a hitch pin, reusable.

I have one, and a self locker.

Attachments

• A6AEAB03-6407-43C2-B965-2395237C0E8F.jpeg
    A6AEAB03-6407-43C2-B965-2395237C0E8F.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 17
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your help.

As others have posted, no cotter pin for that hollow end of the axle. I use those two holes when I remove the axle:
1. A long #2 Phillips round shaft screwdriver fits perfectly.
2. Slide the screwdriver through and you can rotate and pull the axle.

I did use one of the holes for safety wiring in a lifting spool. Once I got a lathe, I made my own and used a aircraft Ball-Lok quick release pit pin through both holes.

cjIBx2a.jpg

H3koVov.jpg

oAoRsAD.jpg

Latest posts

Back