Should i trade or not?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodman70

Reaction score
I am new to this site and do not yet own a vmax. I currently own a 2003 Harley fatboy and it/is was way underpowered so I also bought a GSXR1000 and needless to say it took care of my speed issues. I have recently been looking seriously at a new2014 vmax but would need to get rid of my other two bikes. The Harley i wouldn't miss but the speed and power of the GSXR I am questioning. I know the top speed of a vmax is not as much as the gsxr which I have never been over 130 anyway so not an issue. Would i regret giving up my GSXR if I were to have a Vmax? The vmax power seems to be incredible although the top speed is not as high which is fine with me. Next question is about the handling. The downsides i have read are the fuel mileage and the handling. How bad is the handling or is it even an issue? I know it won't handle like my sportbike and I don't expect it to. I would just like some thoughts on the vmax from experienced owners who have also had a sportbike or not. thanks

I agree, keep the Gixxer and trade the other one for the Vmax

The new Vmax handles better than 90% of us are capable of pushing it too. And if your used to and or liked the handling on the fat boy well it's a whole hell o f a lot better than that.

Oh, and welcome, come on over to the dark side !

Mileage/range is definitely a negative. Handling, brakes, and even top speed are not. It is the best handling bike of it's type and size by far, nothing else is even close. Brakes are excellent. The top speed is limited to 137 stock, but an inexpensive mod will let you run up to 17O if you are so inclined.

It will run with a GSXR through the 1/4 mile, after 140 the the Suzuki would have the edge. In the lower revs 2000 -5000 rpm Vmax has way more grunt, where as the 1000 doesn't start making real TQ until around 6K.

So........it's a big bike like your Harley, but handles, goes and stops much better. If you are just looking for something way more exciting then your Harley, and don't care whether or not it's a sportbike, then the VMax is a great choice.

Plus 1 trade the holley in on gen 1 to. I see if you can test ride a gen 1. To see if you like it.

And gen 2 if you can.

It's great to have options. The gen 1 is a cheaper and if you don't mind messing with carbs and things that go along with an older bike that may be a good route. The gen 2 is way more expensive but less messing around in my opinion. The gen 2 handling is great for a bike of that size so I heard. The cool factor of either one is better than a Harley. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. I will see if wife is ok with me keeping the gixxer. We'll see what the dealer will offer me for a trade in tomorrow. It's probably worth more to me to keep it. The other factor I left out was that I'm 51 and my sportbike days are numbered...well maybe not.... I'll never stop having fun on a performance bike and that includes the Vmax!

There were some tempting deals in Omaha a couple of weeks ago. I'm with everyone else keep the GSXR and trade the Harley for a Gen1. I'm on my second try at getting gen 1. The first was in 03 when I was replacing my totaled TZR. The only thing that stopped me then the money. Something about insurance rates.

Look in the bikes for sale section here....there are some members that are selling some GOOD gen 1's.

Its all up to what You want and how deep your pockets are for me i would rather have a Bking than a gen 2. Caution if you buy a gen 1 i doubt you will leave it stock so the mods can get expensive fast.

I am getting a lot of opinions on the gen1. I am new to this vmax lingo but correct me if I am wrong. the gen1 was pre 2007 and was carbureted. The gen2 is fuel injected. Why so much support for the gen1 over the gen2?

Unless your seriously amped about Vmaxes, or really enjoy working on bikes, I'd go for the Gen II if that was an option.

Your much more likely to have a good first time experience considering the bikes you are already used to.

Buy the wrong used Gen I and have to go through carb or electrical problems (or worse) and if your not crazy about the bike like most of us, dealing with what I'd call "the charm" of the Gen I could kill your interest all together.

I am getting a lot of opinions on the gen1. I am new to this vmax lingo but correct me if I am wrong. the gen1 was pre 2007 and was carbureted. The gen2 is fuel injected. Why so much support for the gen1 over the gen2?

That is correct but I think there was a one year gap and 2007 was last Gen I, someone can correct that if its wrong.

But right about carbs versus FI.

As far as Gen I versus Gen II this tends to be a Gen I forum since its been around so long.

There is a mostly Gen II forum that was started in anticipation of the Gen II's introduction and there's lots of info over there on the Gen II.

That is correct but I think there was a one year gap and 2007 was last Gen I, someone can correct that if its wrong.

But right about carbs versus FI.

As far as Gen I versus Gen II this tends to be a Gen I forum since its been around so long.

There is a mostly Gen II forum that was started in anticipation of the Gen II's introduction and there's lots of info over there on the Gen II.

Here is a forum that is mostly about Gen 2 VMax's:

http://www.starvmax.com/

I am w/Rusty on this, if you can afford a Gen II ('09+) then don't think twice. If you like to fiddle w/bikes and aren't afraid of spending some $, but far-less than even a used Gen II, except in the case of some heavy-breathing, seriously-modified motor/chassis/suspension, then maybe the Gen I is something you are OK with.

Here is how I look at it (the case of some heavy-breathing, seriously-modified motor/chassis/suspension):

• A Gen I entry point for a decent driver is right-around the $3K mark. You can spend less $ and if you choose carefully, you can get something around $2K, +/- and then let the modding begin. You can easily spend $6,000 building a large-bore engine, strap that Bad Boy back into a stock chassis, and scare yourself worse than getting a socially-transmitted disease just before your wedding. You could easily spend :
  • $8K+ for a big-bore engine, undercut transmission, flatslide carbs, and a full exhaust
  • $2700 for aftermarket wheels to allow you to run radials
  • $2K for an upside-down front end and sportbike braking system components
  • $2K for premium rear shocks, a widened, lengthened swingarm, and a stout aftermarket driveshaft
  • $2K for bodywork, paint, and powdercoating, chroming, or polishing
And what did you spend for your Gen I that you decided to do this to?

Now you might see why a Gen II is a good buy, new or used. Total all those up (above) and you might as-well buy a new Gen II to start, and get a full warranty, because that's what you will be spending.

I like my Gen I, I've owned it 21 years since buying it from the dealer, but I am considering getting out of the Gen I stuff and enjoying the fewer hassles of Gen II ownership. If I do that, I have a lot of stuff to liquidate.

Buy the Gen II and enjoy riding and "step-away from the wrenching." Sure, you can modify them too, but it's already a great bike to begin-with.

Unless your seriously amped about Vmaxes, or really enjoy working on bikes, I'd go for the Gen II if that was an option.

Your much more likely to have a good first time experience considering the bikes you are already used to.

Buy the wrong used Gen I and have to go through carb or electrical problems (or worse) and if your not crazy about the bike like most of us, dealing with what I'd call "the charm" of the Gen I could kill your interest all together.

Thanks fire-medic. I agree with you 100%. There was know doubt that I would go with a new one. I am just that way with motorcycles. When I bought my harley I had a choice between fuel injection or carb and I didn't blink an eye when it came to fuel injection. I don't want to offend anyone who does like the gen1 over the gen2. I just prefer less work and more riding and like to not spend more money after the intitial investment...well maybe some after market exhaust.

I still have my original 1985, but currently use it primarily for back and forth to work, and an occasional errand. The mod monkey never came close as that bike is still 99.9% stock. Then my wife wanted a gen II. We get her an 09, but it had pipe mods and was never tuned to run correctly. I self-educated on PCV and fuel mapping for her aftermarket mods. During the buttdyno days that followed while getting her 09 to run satisfactory, I got hooked on the Gen II and added another 09 to my garage. Then came THE MOD MONKEY. Custom powder coat here. Custom powder coat there. Luggage racks, aftermarket add-on fuel tank, custom made mirror stems, powder coated wheels, Tim Nashes AWE-INSPIRING ECU RE-FLASH, ........on and on, with no end in sight.

It's been really cold here in MO for a while now, but yesterdays' high soared to around 70 degrees. Guess which bike went out of the driveway for my "Maxattack"? I got in only about 50 miles, but it sure felt good to go for that blast. Never the speed limit, always looking for police cruisers. Always wanting to twist that throttle even faster.......it's a curse, I tell you. A curse. Heart rate up. The sweaty palms. The nervousness, always checking the rear-view mirror. Constantly worrying about tickets, but unable to slow - even a little bit. Addictive!!!

Keep the bikes you have. SAVE $$. Fewer speeding tickets, and the life you save, may be your own.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Latest posts

Back