Shrink Wrapping a Trailered Bike?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John R

Reaction score
I'm flying up to Sturgis for my first ever Sturgis Bike Rally. My bike, and six others, are going to be trailered up to Sturgis from Atlanta, GA. As it stands now, the trailer we are going to use is an open flat bed with no front wall nose or side walls. I have been told that trailering bikes for long distances on open trailers will sandblast the front of the bikes, especially those directly behind the tow vehicle. Same guy said he has seen people shrink wrapp their bikes once on the trailer to save the paint. Fact? Fiction? Any one with long distance hauls that can give me some tips/tricks? I trailer a boat just about every weekend, so I'm not newbie to towing. Just don't want to damage my '06. Thanks.

It better be as tight as hell and not flap ONE BIT against the paint. The other issue is water retention. Water WILL get into it and cause issues when held against the paint.

I would rather see you use blue painters tape and cover EVERY surface facing forward with it. I use black electrical tape on mine when on ride-outs for the exact same reason and it works the bees knees for me. People think I'm nuts but my bike stays nice looking...

I can't answer your trailering question because our RV has the bikes inside. But I am envious your upcoming trip. I wish we were going to Sturgis again this year. :worthy:

You are going to enjoy all the various rides around the Sturgis area, including Spearfish canyonand the Badlands.

Have fun! Be safe.

Is there a way to mount a 40" or so high piece of plywood/ metal, with a supporting framework? You could probably get away with a 2x2 frame and mount a 1/4" to 3/8" plywood to that and it would should work. Make sure to use plywood.... because OSB or particalboard will break down or at least become weaker when wet.

i did just that last march when i picked my bike up and brought it home some 1200 miles. just got some of the shrink wrap from work, the stuff they use to wrap boxes on skids. worked great! but i did it because of snow and salt and sand on the road. in the summer i just put a chunk of mac tac on the front if its on the trailer for a long time. it works great too and doesn't leave a sticky film behind

Call your local marina guys, they should be able to wrap it no problem.
Yes doable.
Tell them your concerns and maybe they can even add an extra layer up front, but not really necessary.
4GASEM is correct - you do not want ANY flapping. Make sure to let them know it'll be at highway speed, so they wrap it correctly.
I ship boats (yachts), both with and without shrinkwrap all the time, both painted and gel coat - no problems.

I have done this without issues.

I used a 100 metre role of standard food wrap (cling wrap) after I had tied the bike down to the trailer with tie down straps.

Go nuts and be generous with the wrap.

Keep a bit of tension on the wrap as you bandage the bike and put some duct tape on the terminating end.

It's cheap and it works a treat.

If you want extra protection put a tarp over the wrapped bike.

The wrap will stop the tarp from rubbing on the paint, plastic, billet and chrome work. :punk:

I have done this without issues.

I used a 100 metre role of standard food wrap (cling wrap) after I had tied the bike down to the trailer with tie down straps.

Go nuts and be generous with the wrap.

Keep a bit of tension on the wrap as you bandage the bike and put some duct tape on the terminating end.

It's cheap and it works a treat.

If you want extra protection put a tarp over the wrapped bike.

The wrap will stop the tarp from rubbing on the paint, plastic, billet and chrome work. :punk:

Then if you not happy you could always wrap the tarp as well .
Personally i would ride there , you guys are so lucky . :clapping::punk:

Then if you not happy you could always wrap the tarp as well .
Personally i would ride there , you guys are so lucky . :clapping::punk:

just be careful with the tarp.. they flap!

Latest posts

Back