Sick Vmax - Blown engine?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbellybill

Reaction score
I was in second to last gear and passed a truck at maybe 70 MPH tops never noticed the tach as I was up and down so fast , I continued to ride about 20 miles and started to notice a lack of power and the exhaust sounded way different. I pulled into a gas station and noticed the bike could barely hold an idol at around 400-500 RPM. I turned around went home still going normal speeds but no real power. When I got home oil coming out of left side exhaust pipe. NO!!! Never raced never beat always maintained. Did I blow my engine? I had my head gaskets replaced last year as they were leaking due to a recall. Man I can believe this happened.

Now at dealers. My warranty should be close to up but due to an error the dealer didn't register warranty till last Jan. Will the change the dates when they notice the error? Either my warranty is up or close. They said I was under warranty but questioned the date. They said dealer must have made a mistake putting warranty info in system. WTF now? If they think I redlined will it still be covered? They had my engine opened 2 times last year to replace head gaskets. What a mess.

That sucks man I am so sorry. I think I may have been close to that when racing and did not know the max has no limiter. What was your tach upto? Mine was up over 11 when I noticed. Got lucky I guess!

I was going under 5k when I was behind a truck, went to pass and didn't have time to look down. It was quick but my speed was under 70 and I think I was 2nd from last gear.

I would demand the engine be replaced and not rebuilt. Have them call me if they need someone who has experience rebuilding those engines once they get it apart and find out what happened. Sounds like it spun a bearing or dropped a valve.

Sean

2nd from last? Meaning 4th or second? Seems like a lot of people would have blown there engines if was only up there for a few seconds huh? I know I have done that by accident

It happened so fast, but I was in 4th at about 50MPH hit the gas to pass at about 70 and didn't hit 5th until after I passed and slowed back down to about 60. Can't believe this. I bet I've only broke 100mph 2-3 times on this bike, I really baby it.

Sounds like you may have over-reved and a piston kissed a valve.

I'm thinking that it may be a mechanic's error as well being they replaced your head gaskets. Its possible that they didn't set the cams right and you just hit the majical spot in time and space for the valve and piston to meet.

I wouldn't really say a whole hell of alot about over-reving the motor. They might cry abuse. Also Have all the documents of the work the dealer's have done handy.

Sorry to hear about your ride. Hope everything goes smoothly and your way.

4th gear at even 100 mph doesn't = redline, you better get get shitty with the dealership.

Man, I feel for ya. Mine was lost to valve damage a little while ago. Twas my own fault though. Hope the dealer can make it right for you. Seems like you have a pretty good case, 70 in 4th is nowhere near redline. Get your story straight and stick to it.
Best of luck to you.
Paul

Ahh I just re-red your original post. I read it wrong the first time, I saw 2nd and nothing else.

I agree withwhat ppl are saying, 4th gear at 70 isn't going to red line you.

I'm still pointing at the mechanic who re-assembled your engine.

Also I've been googling cause I ride an 07 as well. I haven't been told about any recalls for that bike. How did you find out about it?

4th gear at even 100 mph doesn't = redline, you better get get shitty with the dealership.

I was thinking the same....I drop to 4th going 60+ if I need to pass quickly, and haven't ever seen redline while doing it, even while getting to 90-95 mph in a hurry.

Bro,

I would go after the dealership or whoever put your motor back together.:damn angry: 70 in 4th. man thats not even pushing redline. I was wondering too: Were did you hear about this recall. I have an 07 that I bought last summer and never had a recall.:ummm:

Even pushing past redline the pistons will not hit the valves (they have a huge amount of clearance). I did rebuild an engine last year on a 2006 (with 2000 miles on it) that had suffered an engine failure. The rings seized in the bore after he ran it hard in a few gears (passing like you mentioned). It looked to me like they had set the ring end gap too tight.

Depending on the failure you may end up having to replace the engine cases (they won't know how to repair it - most machine shops can't even fix the problem that I am referring too). about 99% of the time when an engine spins a bearing it preloads the crank and ends up gouging the block thrust surface (which doesn't completely sound like that happened to you but it may have). Then it loses enough bearing material that it ends up hitting the valves but just barely.

Trust me, I've been into more of these engines then they have even thought about. Have them take it apart and find out what happened and they can decide what to do from there. Have my number handy when you go up to look at the damage (don't let them fix anything until you have seen it apart yourself).

Sean

i have an 07 also.... whats all this talk of head gasket failure?? :damn angry:

we would have fixed that permanently too. We change out to ARP studs we have for these engines. Of course being a dealer they have no idea how to do this kind of upgrade work.

Sean

beerbelly. sean's got you taken care of and i'd start getting REALLY shitty as well w/the dealer. 3rd gear at 70 shouldn't even be an issue! start bitching now and demand them take it apart and talk to sean. esp if its under warranty. If it isn't, i'd start yelling anyways. there is NO WAY an 07 should need 2 head gaskets!!! how many miles!?

Exactly!!!! Been riding since 17, never raced and NEVER came close to reline. Tried to look up reline in 4th and couldn't find it.

At 9500 rpm's, speeds should be as follows by gear; 1st/55mph; 2nd/79mph; 3rd/103 mph; 4th/129mph/ 5th/150+:ummm: Sean would know for sure, but I know if you were in 4th, you were not even in the zip code of redline anywhere under 100 mph. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back