SIDE COVERS material

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcelmot

Reaction score
Hello,

As my 1st post, I say HELLO to all of you. I do not own an V MAX (I own a Raider), but I try to help my friend, V MAX 1700 owner.

I want to powder coat the side covers, but I don't know which material are the side covers made from ? You can powder coat only metal parts, at least at the shop we will go.

Are the side covers made from Aluminium, plastic .. or ?

Thank you in advance
Marcel

Attachments

• S-Y17SO1-HBAV-61.jpg
    S-Y17SO1-HBAV-61.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 20
They are metal. Thin stamped stainless steel I've been told. I had originally thought they were alluminum because they are so light.

Thanks,

If they are from metal, it looks that they are coated. To powder coat them, I have to remove that coating layer to get directly to metal surface.

I think I will double check with an inductive sensor, to make sure 100% they are from metal.

Both are aluminum unless you have an aftermarket set

Sean, I was told they are raw stainless. As far as I could tell there is no finish on them so that makes sense to me.

They are also quite stiff....I don't think aluminum of that gauge would so resistant to flexing/bending.

My current Max has CF covers so I can't put my hands on a set.....and you have my old spare set. :).

I'm pretty confident they are very thin aluminum manufactured in a hydroform process (typically the metal is set to "M" hardness to hold shape after forming and not be too soft like an "O" material hardness would do).

The side covers or the scoops? The scoops are aluminum.

Sorry I don't know what are scoops, I'm not an English native speaker, I took the definition from the parts diagram, "side covers", I have attached a picture on my 1st post. I speak about the parts where the air is coming into.

I think I will paint them like normal auto painting, not powder coating. Even they are from Al, for powder coating I have to remove the external coating, from the "side covers" to get directly to the metal surface and maybe I will not like how the surface looks.

The "scoops" are where the air is coming into. They "Scoop" or "grab" the air and pull it into the engine. Normally the side covers are the parts located over the fuel tank and have the "Vmax" logo on them.

They can be chromed, polished, coated, painted, or about any finish you would prefer. We have chroming services and can usually even do it on an exchange basis for customers.

Attachments

• Gen 2 Right Scoop.jpg
    Gen 2 Right Scoop.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 17
Back