Side stand

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

invalidsession

Reaction score
Hey fellas, anyone ever done a modification to the side stand to get away from the awful upright position when parked on compromising street surfaces ? My 07 I swear would fall over in a stiff breeze in the wrong conditions and it's scarey. It's not like the bike is a challenge to pull up straight and I would be happier with an extra couple of degrees tilt to let her rest more securely.
Bit of gas axe work on the stand perhaps, what have you done to improve this ?

Chris.

It sits reasonably well up on the stand and if it's not lowered I think it's plenty stable. If you're really concerned on it the answers are:

A: Heat and bend
B: VooDoo V-Max Adjustable Kickstand

Personally I'm going with B for my lowered max. Not because heating and bending is shabby but because the beefy stand looks sick IMO.

I cut mine as close to the pad on the bottom as I could. Removed some length from the stalk and welded it back together. I believe that there is less stress at the bottom of the kickstand, that is why I chose to modify it there. Been holding strong for a year.

You can also increase the angle of the sidestand, thereby giving the bike more lean angle, by removing metal at the frame sidestand mount, or at the top of the stand itself, or both contact areas.
I lowered my bike 1 1/2" in the front, 1" in the back, this past winter. By adjusting the angle, I'm still able to use the stock length sidestand.
Increasing the angle of the stand also has another benefit - if the bike is left parked on a slight downgrade, and inadvertently left in neutral, it is less likely to roll forward and topple over.
Cheers!

Does bending it make it stick out more when folded up? I couldn't live with that and just know I'd be hooking my pant leg on it and falling over.

Our shortened side stands are $50 exchanged plus shipping (including the powdercoating). No worry about it sticking out more (I already drag the stand in the tucked position - it would be worse sticking out).

I'd go for the shortened kickstand over an adjustable one due to I dont trust pins and screws. If it was a zigzap two piece match up that was held in would be more tolerable, but never seen anything made like that.....

if the bike is left parked on a slight downgrade, and inadvertently left in neutral, it is less likely to roll forward and topple over.
Cheers!

Damn learn something everyday. I always leave my bike in "Neutral". So far I'm lucky it's been on level ground or backed in on a slight incline. Thanks for that insight. I guess I should RTFM!!

Does bending it make it stick out more when folded up? I couldn't live with that and just know I'd be hooking my pant leg on it and falling over.

Mines bent out and its not even noticeable, there's no way you could drag it. Even if you laid it over.
The amount needed for the bend is not very much.
Foot pegs, handlebars, exhaust and engine case would still hit first.

You'd be surprised at what will actually rub first when under hard cornering. The suspension compresses and that changes everything when just trying to lean the bike over when stopped to see.

I've drug the nubs on my stock stand as well as the ends of the foot pegs. Of course lowering the bike also makes this phenomenon worse.

Mines bent out and its not even noticeable, there's no way you could drag it. Even if you laid it over.
The amount needed for the bend is not very much.
Foot pegs, handlebars, exhaust and engine case would still hit first.

That's what I was thinking. No way is that hitting the deck before the pegs no matter what your level of exuberance. Just need a little more lean angle and shortening the leg gives it even less leverage against the ground. Gas axe and a slight bend is all I need I reckon.

Chris.

Latest posts

Back