Sight Glass Test For Oil Pressure????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
SGT For Oil Pressure???? Verified it's OK......

I have an oil pressure gauge coming from Cycle One Off. In the mean time, I'll ask a question about a Go-No Go indication using the sight glass as an indicator.

With the bike setting level, my oil level is at the top mark for the sight glass. I start the engine, cold, with the choke set to run the bike up very slightly to 1200 or so RPM. The oil level moves down in a few seconds to a point where the level is about at the lower level mark for the sight glass. Is this normal for the level to stay there or should it drop completely out of sight, looking through the glass? If I raise the RPM slightly higher , the level drops further but oil is also being splashed on the glass, I imagine from all of the moving parts in the bottom end of the engine.

I realize this isn't much of a real test but it may be helpful to me and others who have yet to get a gauge.

Thanx, Dave

Last edited:
Thanx for the reply Sean. I realize that this is a real reach. Was just hoping for an idea whether we can say that I'm getting some oil through the engine or maybe not. No wierd noises when I went for a short ride yesterday. Wouldn't even have any concern over the engine being good, except for the 2 missed shifts and RPM in the ozone at 10,500 or so. I know that might have been enough to pop the o ring. I guess the only way to be sure is to pull the drain and look for metal. That or wait and and install the pressure gauge when it comes.

O6VMAXIMUS: Oops, that's not good news if your oil levels are the same as mine to start with.

spec ops, no tests done recently but mine, i think, does the same.

my PSI is about right, usually idles around 1-5psi, and then 10 psi per 1k rpm,

so 5k rpm is usually 40 psi.

Are you running the bike standing straight up? And are your oil levels the same as I started with, at the top mark for oil level? Mine will run with an empty sight glass if I leave it on the side stand. Thanx for your inputs. I'm still hoping for the best here.:ummm:

i'm waiting patiently too. mini-panic mode, emailed sean!

gamorg02: Yours should have the Yamaha upgrade to prevent a blown O Ring... This is getting scary. I don't know how long it will take to get my gauge and parts from Cycle One Off and I'm not riding it at all until I can get a pressure reading with the gauge.:bang head:

Unless I can confirm that it's normal to operate like mine is, through inputs here. If we can get "Black and White" answers here I'll add the info to the Dreaded O Ring Thread. It may help others with a quick answer, they do or do not have a popped O Ring and may give some clue to how bad theirs are.

yea, i forgot they had upgraded it.

just had an email discussion via sean, essentially the result was, the PSI I am seeing seems normal and he would only really start worrying if the PSI don't get to the blowby around 60psi at high RPMs.

gamorg02: Yours should have the Yamaha upgrade to prevent a blown O Ring... This is getting scary. I don't know how long it will take to get my gauge and parts from Cycle One Off and I'm not riding it at all until I can get a pressure reading with the gauge.:bang head:

Unless I can confirm that it's normal to operate like mine is, through inputs here. If we can get "Black and White" answers here I'll add the info to the Dreaded O Ring Thread. It may help others with a quick answer, they do or do not have a popped O Ring and may give some clue to how bad theirs are.

Dave, another option is to get a pan gasket and drop the oil pan and check the o-ring.....although, admittedly it seems kinda crazy to do all that and not install a fix to the o-ring config......but it is an option and would give you an answer within a few hours. :confused2:

Yep, I double checked it. Top of the line when standing upright with engine off, then start up and you can just see the oil flowing past the bottom of the sight glass. Currently running at 65 psi cold idle, 5-7 psi when hot at idle.

I would not worry about it at this point. Next time you take the exhaust off or this winter you can do the upgrades.
Sean

Thanx for all the checking and assistance. I hope I have the parts from COO before winter. :biglaugh: Shouldn't take that long to come. I'll have an oil pressure gauge to hook up when that order gets here. It should tell a better story.

so my pressure always tops the gauge out when cold, so at least 65 psi

after ~20 miles today i revved it up to about 8k and it stopped around 58 psi i think around 7k rpms.

sounds like its working good i think.

Back