Signals Stopped Working

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CptStumpy

Reaction score
The other day I started up the bike and noticed none of the signals worked. Just the signals, all other electrics worked. I checked the bulbs and fuses, they were fine. What am I missing? And what needs replaced/fixed. I have a 98 V Max.

No magic answer I'm afraid.

If non of the indicators work then that would suggest an issue somewhere between the battery and flasher unit.

I'm assuming that the brake lights work therefore you have power to the fuse.

'Fraid it's time to get the multi-meter out.

With the ignition on check you have power going to the flasher unit (brown wire).
If you have then disconnect and re-connect the multi-plug to the flasher unit (this can often sort a fault as it will clean the contact surface).
If it still isn't working then I would suspect the flasher unit. Cheapest way to check is by substitution.
If you don't have power then you will need to check back along the brown wire to see where the break is.

No magic answer I'm afraid.

If non of the indicators work then that would suggest an issue somewhere between the battery and flasher unit.

I'm assuming that the brake lights work therefore you have power to the fuse.

'Fraid it's time to get the multi-meter out.

With the ignition on check you have power going to the flasher unit (brown wire).
If you have then disconnect and re-connect the multi-plug to the flasher unit (this can often sort a fault as it will clean the contact surface).
If it still isn't working then I would suspect the flasher unit. Cheapest way to check is by substitution.
If you don't have power then you will need to check back along the brown wire to see where the break is.

Actually....If the flasher relay is trying to work you should at least hear/feel it clicking....While you have the multimeter out (or even better yet a test light) you should be able to test for power coming to the coil and the other side to ground....then do the same to the contact side...should have constant power on the incoming side and flashing power exiting to the lights.......sorry I don't have a schematic in front of me to supply wire colors.....and this is obviously with the key in ON position and the flasher switch set to one side or the other................

Alright, I will check out what you mentioned. Thanks.

Also, is it odd that the yellow indicator light turns on and stays solid?

Alright, I will check out what you mentioned. Thanks.

Also, is it odd that the yellow indicator light turns on and stays solid?

That usually means one of the elements (assuming you have incandescent bulbs) has burnt out on that side of the circuit. But since we already suspect your relay may be failing it could definately be related to that.

Back