Silicone lube for tire mounting?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayne z

Reaction score
Well, I used a paper towel lightly wetted with silicone spray lube to apply silicone to the new rear tire bead and the rim. Slipped the first bead on the rim totaly by hand! Slipped the last bead on 3/4 way by hand and very little persuasion to get the rest with tire irons. Easiest tire mount I've ever done, using this slippery stuff.

Then one of my buddies piped up and asks if I should worry about the tire slipping on the rim.

First instinct tells me probably not, as the small amount of silicone should be absorbed into the rubber in a short time.

So can anyone shed any experience or opinions on this subject?

Thanks,
Wayne

Use water-soluble jelly like KY or generic equivalent. Less chance of what you are inquiring-about happening. The old standard is dishwashing detergent in a spray bottle.

Well the tire is already mounted but not installed and I could break the bead and clean it.
But I think I'm going to experiment for us with this tecnique.

Gonna put an index mark across the tire/rim and watch for movement during tire break-in.
Pretty sure it won't be an issue, there's a lot of surface area and pressure involved in the rim joint, and a few hundred miles of break-in use should give time for the silicone to dry out.

I used TurtleWax silicone detailing spray to get my rear wheel on and it was stupid easy.

I changed my tire in my carport using the portable bead breaker from Harbor Freight, then used mounting grease to mount the tire. Stupid easy and changed in under 10 minutes. you can pick up the tire changing grease from any parts store or order some from Amazon. Lots of choices out there but the grease makes it super easy compared to using wayee and dawn detergent with no crusrt shit when changing the tire a year down the road.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant

WD-40 here. It's slick, clean. and does dry up. If I had the torque to spin the tire on the rim I'd be very happy
biglaugh.gif

WD-40 here. It's slick, clean. and does dry up. If I had the torque to spin the tire on the rim I'd be very happy
biglaugh.gif

plus 1 used w40 and baby powder. I used my motorcycle jack with 2 - 2x4 wood about 15" long put the rear wheel in between the woods and jack / screw the jack down to break mind.

Somewhat related , I have had the manually cut off tires that were practically glued onto their wheels! I have no idea what was used to put them on. My shop used a drop or two of Dawn soap in water that is in a cup attached to the tire machine. If I were to do it at home I would attack it just like my handlebar grips, non aerosol hairspray.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity what are you home tire changers doing to balance. I would love to start changing tires at home.

I use dyna beads.....some people love them...some dont, but I could tell a difference out of my side mirrors...less vibration.

Just out of curiosity what are you home tire changers doing to balance. I would love to start changing tires at home.

I use 2 cinder blocks standing up on a level surface with room between them for the wheel. I use 2 pieces of 3/8 square stock atop the blocks for rails then sit the wheel with it's axle on the rails. Then add enough stick-on weights to the light part to get the wheel to not stop in one spot.

Latest posts

Back