Sinko 160 Rear Tire

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Howlett

Reaction score
Hi! I know people usually post in the New member forum before asking a question, but here I am anyway.

While I've read through several threads on the rear tire selection on Shinko, I haven't run into much discussion about the 160 tire offered in their SR777 line.

Does anyone have experience with this tire? The size I see is a 160/80/15 available locally.

Any cons to this size or series? I know everyone seems to like the brand.

The speed rating is for sustained usage at the rated speed for one hour. It will survive short durations far above the rating. We put a 170/80-15 ME880 over 200 mph on the dyno multiple times without a failure

Hi! I know people usually post in the New member forum before asking a question, but here I am anyway.

While I've read through several threads on the rear tire selection on Shinko, I haven't run into much discussion about the 160 tire offered in their SR777 line.

Does anyone have experience with this tire? The size I see is a 160/80/15 available locally.

Any cons to this size or series? I know everyone seems to like the brand.

I got the 777 in a 170/80/15. It had good reviews. Fits perfectly. a lil more room than the Metzler (of the same size) it replaced.

I don't plan on doing over 130 for an hour any time soon, so the H rating is just fine with me.

Not sure bout longevity, as I just put it on a few miles ago. Seems to grip well (I don't ride the in rain.. If I can help it.) Looks pretty sexy though, which ,as always, was my main concern. ;)

T$

Attachments

• 20190616_164610.jpg
    20190616_164610.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 32
I think not long ago I read the Veyron Bugatti can't run top speed for an hour without wearing-out a set of tires, but where are you gonna find that type of track?

I recall when Oldsmobile built their turbo 4 cyl and had AJ Foyt drive it, to set a speed record, I think k they used a 7 or 8 mile tri-oval in the SW someplace, like AZ. Maybe the Uniroyal Tire test facility?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...eos/a28754/aj-foyt-oldsmobile-aerotech-video/

I ended up getting this tire size after reading a bit more into it. I don't mind the H rating, since it's hard to find anywhere around here that I can get away with speeding that fast for a long amount of time.

I also got an incredible deal on it, so I it was definitely worth it. I plan on mounting it myself, so I'll update with pics soon .

I think not long ago I read the Veyron Bugatti can't run top speed for an hour without wearing-out a set of tires, but where are you gonna find that type of track?

I recall when Oldsmobile built their turbo 4 cyl and had AJ Foyt drive it, to set a speed record, I think k they used a 7 or 8 mile tri-oval in the SW someplace, like AZ. Maybe the Uniroyal Tire test facility?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...eos/a28754/aj-foyt-oldsmobile-aerotech-video/

I followed the Veyron when it first came out just cause of the engine. 8.0L W16 engine. 3 V configuration banks. 2 15 degree Vs within a 90 degree V. When VW designed the engine prototype it was powerful without the turbos. But VW didnt have a car big enough to put the engine in. So they scrapped the plans. VW then acquired Bugatti and then began working on the supercar.

So your tires.....VW knew this was gonna be one hell of a car. So they went to all the tire manufacturers stating what they wanted to do. Most laughed stating it wasnt possible. Couple tried. Michelin succeeded. There was a catch though....Michelin told VW that they would be able to sustain 250mph for only around 15 minutes before complete tire failure. VW redesigned the car to run out of fuel in 11 minutes at top speed. And you are correct, at top speed for 11 minutes....the tires would need to be replaced. Not for wearing out....but for potential belt separation in the tire from the centrifugal forces on the tires for 11 minutes.

Are you putting that 170 tire on a stock rim?

It'll be a Shinko 160 size on a stock rim. When I bought the bike, I was given a spare set of stock wheels that need to be refinished, so I'll start with those. I may just black them out or put a wheel disc on them.

I followed the Veyron when it first came out just cause of the engine. 8.0L W16 engine. 3 V configuration banks. 2 15 degree Vs within a 90 degree V. When VW designed the engine prototype it was powerful without the turbos. But VW didnt have a car big enough to put the engine in. So they scrapped the plans. VW then acquired Bugatti and then began working on the supercar.

So your tires.....VW knew this was gonna be one hell of a car. So they went to all the tire manufacturers stating what they wanted to do. Most laughed stating it wasnt possible. Couple tried. Michelin succeeded. There was a catch though....Michelin told VW that they would be able to sustain 250mph for only around 15 minutes before complete tire failure. VW redesigned the car to run out of fuel in 11 minutes at top speed. And you are correct, at top speed for 11 minutes....the tires would need to be replaced. Not for wearing out....but for potential belt separation in the tire from the centrifugal forces on the tires for 11 minutes.

With the newer Koenigsegg hitting 250+mph, I wonder if tire tech has changed enough to sustain that speed or are the tires just throwaways, too, after a top speed run?

With the newer Koenigsegg hitting 250+mph, I wonder if tire tech has changed enough to sustain that speed or are the tires just throwaways, too, after a top speed run?

I couldnt tell you. I would imagine tech has increased, but I imagine the stresses of abuse that long on a tire would make it garbage after the run was over. But I couldnt tell you since I only followed the Veyron when it first came out. The new Chiron I read is capped at 261mph due to tire limitations.

Now, I read back in the day, that the Veyron could go from a standing start to top speed back to 0 in under a minute. I also recall reading what some of the engineers were saying about HP and speed. If I recall correctly, they said you could have a relatively small engine get up to 200mph with proper gearing. They said if you wanted to go beyond, the HP numbers climbed exponentially per MPH.

Sorry to hijack a tire thread, figured this was some interesting info anyway.

A time-honoured test of performance was Aston-Martin capable of running 0-100-0 in 25 seconds, back in the 1960's, when they built the DB4 GT. It was a hand-assembled engine, whose builder affixed a plaque w/his name in the engine compartment. When Ford agreed to provide Carrol Shelby with the recently-developed Ford thin-wall casting iron V8, that performance standard was easily surpassed, though the 260/289 Cobra was no GT touring machine, like the Aston -Martin. Then the 427 side-oiler FE-series came out, and raised the bar. Amazing performance at a fraction of a Ferrari price.

When the VMax was released, one of the bike mags did a comparison of the 427 Cobra and the VMax in that vaunted 0-100-0 test. Of course the VMax dusted the Cobra, I think its time was 13.8 seconds.

Multi-million dollar cars doing over 250 mph, fun to read-about.

Aerodynamic drag limiting makes best use of HP. The Citroen DS 19 was proof

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back