SkullDuggery, Compression Retest

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
In the original check of my 89, months ago. The cylinders measured 220-230 (My 94 was 150-160). I've been looking for a second gauge set up to do a retest of comparison. I found one yesterday with the proper 12 mm adapter. Although the resulting numbers are somewhat lower than my original readings, they're still high, over what a stock motor would read.

I did the readings multiple times and with a variation for those who don't know about it. Throttle closed and throttle open during the readings will make a big difference. You want to do the readings with the throttle wide open.

Cylinders:------ Throttle Closed------ Throttle Open

RF:--------------------143----------------- 200
RR:--------------------142------------------195
LR:--------------------142------------------194
LF:--------------------140------------------192

The differences in reading from my original numbers is likely caused by differences in the 2 gauges. All readings are close, showing that my motors internals are in good shape.. I'm a Happy Camper with these numbers no matter what they actually would be if I had a perfect gauge.:clapping:

Still sounds like some head work has been done. I read about your Dyno run. Great numbers, I still wonder the extent of PO Mods in your motor.

Still sounds like some head work has been done. I read about your Dyno run. Great numbers, I still wonder the extent of PO Mods in your motor.

Those are good numbers for a Stage 7 & Kerker 4-1 , w/o any additional motor mods.

Those are good numbers for a Stage 7 & Kerker 4-1 , w/o any additional motor mods.

No stage 7, just a modified stock set up for now..

It'll eat my buddy Earl's FZ1 for Breakfast, Lunch and Supper, so I'm Very Happy...:clapping:BTW, Earl is a very good rider too...

I'd like to know the history of that motor. Is the valve train a little noisier than your '94?

spider13, Great Day we had... But now you've got me way out classed...
Sell the 06 yet????? I keep pushing guys on buying it....

355cid: Very much noisier than the 94.... It's still a mystery motor....
The power curve appears same as stock though so it may just be higher
compression.

When I put my 1260 together, I sent the cams out to WEB-CAMS and went with their #227 grind. When I got it running the top end is quite a bit noisier than stock. I went over my clearances twice so I guess thats just the nature of the beast. I've got about 450 mi. on the motor now and it hasn't gotten any noisier. I still might pull the valve covers and check clearances again at 500 mi. just to be sure, as that will be the end of my break in period and I can start running it harder. I wouldn't be surprised if your '89 has had similar work.

That would be Awesome. With Kyle's new motor, I need all the extra ponies I can get.
Even then, considering how good he is at the strip, I'll likely be of little consequence to him...:sad2:

Good Luck with your motor, hope it's "Sick" with tons of power....

Gotta go work on the 94's carbs. Later Bros...

Back