Slightly Cheesy 1984 V-Max Documentary (Shows Jay Gleason's 10.27 sec. 1/4 mile Run)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Slightly Cheesy 1984 V-Max Documentary (Shows Jay Gleason's 10.27 sec. 1/4 mile R

I like the examination of the smoldering pile of burnt rubber at the dealers' show at 4:08. The ignited flammable material during Jay's strip burn-out, coming out of a cloud of tire smoke is pretty funny.

At 0:19, doesn't that resemble Marcus Hickman waiting to get one, and to start modding it?

Re: Slightly Cheesy 1984 V-Max Documentary (Shows Jay Gleason's 10.27 sec. 1/4 mile R

I'd guess about 133-135 mph.

I'd think probably not, probably optimized for tolerances, broken in carefully, and a multiple angle valve job, ports matched, heads matched, but who knows for sure?

Joe Alorio turned in the 10's on his stock, he kept the run slip for many years. Jay Gleason is probably good for 0.2 seconds over nearly anyone, and probably a half-second over the weekend warrior. Magazines of the day showed high 10's low 11's.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Yamaha--V-Max-Drag-Racing.html Look carefully here and you may see some names you know! :punk:

lol, not that I would ever get anywhere near such a time... I'm no where near good enough. (wish I was) I would be happy to be in the mid 11s

lol, not that I would ever get anywhere near such a time... I'm no where near good enough. (wish I was) I would be happy to be in the mid 11s
Being light as a feather doesn't hurt, along with having the reaction time of a professional drag racer. +1 FireMedic, I'm also inclined to think the bike was in a superior state of tune when Jay made those historic runs. Though, Jay has said, the Vmax given to him from Yamaha was just about as fast.
Speaking of getting a Vmax down the strip very fast. Our own Zak H. was doing very well at Lebanon Valley Drag way. He's not a light weight by any means. Any news?
Steve-o

Being light as a feather doesn't hurt, along with having the reaction time of a professional drag racer.

I am that light, (130 lbs) and I do have quick reflexes. But I have to admit that I most likely do not have the consistency in reaction times, and I would most likely be red-lighting off the line often. Also, consistent throttle and clutch control is vital, and that is something I lack. I could easily launch the front end in the air, or spin the back tire, as opposed to launching the bike quickly out the gate.

Maybe a summer spent on a nearby 1/8 track might help me learn the consistency I would need...

Latest posts

Back