slip-on competition???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidwin

Reaction score
I see a lot of guys liking supertraps but i also see some cobra slip-ons too. cobra looks cooler. i remember seeing people say stay away from vance and hines.

with stock jets which one seems to be best bang?

who's louder?

do they both allow center stand to stay?

Thanks,
Sid

I've read a lot of discussion on here how the Cobras rob 10 or more HP. Also I believe you have to ditch the centerstand for them.

Also if you really like the look of the cobra you could check out ufo quadzilla slashcuts, they have both a full system and just the mufflers. Full system make harley riders back off and hate riding next to or behind you so just the mufflers are probably pretty loud.

Best sounding slip-ons are the SuperTrapps IMO. I've heard many of them, and they're the most menacing sounding!

Cobras look cool as hell... They just rob the bike of power.

Keep jetting stock... Should work well since you're at or below sea level...

Chris

I had both on my bike and quite honestly I haven't noticed that big of a difference between the two. My engine and carbs are 100% stock. I didn't really like the look of the supertraps but love the look of cobras. I kept the centerstand with both and had no issues. Here's a couple of pictures with both setups.

Attachments

• (01) 06 vmax stock - side view.jpg
    (01) 06 vmax stock - side view.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 65
  • (02) 2006 vmax nice and stock.jpg
    (02) 2006 vmax nice and stock.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 60
  • vmax - new 001.jpg
    vmax - new 001.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 65
  • vmax - new 002.jpg
    vmax - new 002.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 55
I personally run the supertrapp megaphone 4" series and love them. I've got 8 discs per side and open competition endcaps and it sounds amazing. I get compliments all the time. Here's a video of mine, they are even louder in person. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P74xsbU318U&fmt=22

Wow open with 8 discs? That has to be running rich with that many. Did you change out your mains? I run open on the same setup only with 2 discs which equals about 8-10 discs on a closed system.

Wow really? Haha it may be running rich then, i just had it serviced (fluids and brakes) and the guy did say it seemed a little bit slower than it should be running. I just moved to vegas and its a FL bike so i know it probably needs the carbs tuned. You think it really is running rich?

I've seen two different bikes on two different dynos with Cobras. One of them was Seans. Both ran right at or around 95bhp. My stock motor and rejetted carbs with Walkers full setup ran 122BHP.

That's a difference of 27 BHP. With Seans kit I ran 124BHP but it came on sooner.

Wow really? Haha it may be running rich then, i just had it serviced (fluids and brakes) and the guy did say it seemed a little bit slower than it should be running. I just moved to vegas and its a FL bike so i know it probably needs the carbs tuned. You think it really is running rich?

If all your running is stock airbox with a K&N filter and just the trapps then I am almost certain. Pull your plugs and look. They tell you all. See what they look like!

I had both on my bike and quite honestly I haven't noticed that big of a difference between the two. My engine and carbs are 100% stock. I didn't really like the look of the supertraps but love the look of cobras. I kept the centerstand with both and had no issues. Here's a couple of pictures with both setups.

I ran both also....not much difference, trapps = better sound and tunability....cobras just look sweet, but heavy.....kept center stand on both.

My first vmax, '95, came with the cobras on. I dyno'd in at 98rwhp. I was WTF....I changed up to the supertrapps and all my power came back. Cobras sounds great and are very nice looking pipes, but you do loose HP. I tried the kerker comperable slip ons like the trapps, but the trapps win hands down!:punk::thumbs up:

Yeah...the Cobras suck...you'll ditch easily 10hp. Plus IMO they don't even sound that good...it's a muddy, muffled "noize" with no clarity or distinction. Doesn't sound mean or powerful, just annoying.

Sean suggested to me to run 147.5 mains with slip-ons, which I swapped to from the 150's that were in there. I thought the top end felt maybe a tad stronger, but the plug color went from "little on the rich side" to "absolutely perfect" with the change. I have the Walker slip ons, which have the big-block V8 rumble to them. Not really that loud though, which I like. They're no longer listed on his website(only the full system), so they're probably not available anymore.

That's with a stock airbox and K&N drop in, Y piece shimmed up, around 500ft elevation.

In my small club, of currently 5 members, we have three maxes, and the one that sounds the best has "Doma" slip ons, it is so throbbing and grunty. Mine has the supertrapps, and has been mentioned before sounds mean as hell. The third has an eagle full system, and is seriously loud when open right up in high revs, but sounds crap the rest of the time. At a recent Vmax rally in England, with upwards of 100 Vmaxes, I honestly didn't like the sound of most of the others, many with full systems. I was happy to bring mine home after the weekend was through. There were a lot with loads of money spent on them, but mine has been customised on the cheap, and kicked their asses in the sound department. Supertrapps all the way!! :punk:

Latest posts

Back